Considering a Dell laptop - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rdf8585, Dec 18, 2019.

1. rdf8585

rdf8585 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking at a new laptop as I prepare to move halfway across the country for a job. While I love desktops, I'm thinking it makes more sense to get a laptop as it's more portable and maybe a better fit for an apartment. I had been living at home with family.

Specifically, I'm looking at:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...aptop/spd/inspiron-17-3793-laptop/nn3793dthgh

and

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...aptop/spd/inspiron-15-5593-laptop/nn5593dssgh

Opinions on the specs and build quality appreciated.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? Under $1000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Lenovo, HP
    b. Dislike: I haven't had any bad laptop experiences

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Web browsing, Office tasks, streaming, some minor/occasional photo and video editing (PowerDirector, Paint.net). But mostly web browsing and streaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Likely with me, plugged in

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) No games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Battery life isn't a huge consideration as the laptop would mostly be plugged in but something acceptable would be nice.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Buying online is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations. High Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) I'm open to either

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? While it would nice that the laptop looks nice, performance trumps looks in my mind.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? At least 512 GB. I have a desktop almost two years old with a 512 GB - about 395 GB are free. The space is nice to have even if I don't use it.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 2-4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? I have a smartphone, so I wouldn't be totally screwed but I would look to get a laptop sooner than later.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? I'm not interested in paying extra for on-site warranty.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You'll almost certainly pay less if you buy in the Dell Outlet, which is pretty much the same as buying new as long as it's not marked scratch and dent. If you're going to spend $1,000 I'd look at the XPS 15 or maybe the Latitude 5500, which is a Dell business class notebook. Those should offer you better quality and support.

If you want to go 17", perhaps the HP Envy 17 or Asus Vivobook might be worth a look. Good luck, with the job too.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. rdf8585

rdf8585 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the well wishes about the job!

I looked at those other models. But I'm having problems finding those other models in that price range with a 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM. I think those two things are must haves as I plan to have the laptop for a few years. I'm still seeing too many models with a HDD, 8 GB RAM or a 256 GB SSD. Those Dell's are the only ones in that price range with those specs that I've seen. I'm also not see many/any other laptops with a new i7-1065G7 in the $700 to $1,000 range.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Given the usage, I don't thinking spending to get the i7, which is a modest performance bump at best, is worth the cost. I have a desktop I built in 2010 with 4GB of memory. It can browse the net and stream video all day long without breathing hard, so i would get too hung up on it. Memory and hard drives/SSDs are typically easy to upgrade down the road on 15" notebooks.

JRE84 likes this.
  5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i have to agree with zaz you don't need the best cpu