Confused on new SSD from Samsung

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Canon 90D, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Canon 90D

Canon 90D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I'm looking into adding a second SSD to my Gigabyte Aero 15, and have decided the put a Samsung 970 Evo Plus in the gen 3 slot, and a 980 Pro in the gen 4 slot. However, when looking at the 970 Evo Plus, there are two different model numbers. I cannot tell the difference.

MZ-V7S2T0BW vs MZ-V7S2T0B/AM. They are both listed as 970 Evo Plus, the /AM model currently $237 on Amazon for a 2tb model, and the BW listed for $359 for a 2tb model. A 1tb BW model goes for $239.

What does the /AM mean?

Are the Samsung drives good choices, or should I look at a WD Black or a Seagate Firecuda? Or perhaps a Hynix Gold?

90D

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In regards to the /AM or not. It might just be a reseller marking it up for some reason.

For a 2TB NVME though most options should be fine with a 5 year warranty and high TBW rating. Recently though OEM's have been swapping controllers and RAM on them to cut costs and well performance decreases as well. Amazon is a safe bet w/ free returns if it doesn't perform well in testing once you get it.

SierraFan07 likes this.
  3. Canon 90D

Reputations:
    Whats the best way to test the drive? I'm really liking the stats on the hynix gold, but I'm not seeing a gen 4 pcie option from them. I'd like to not mix and match if possible. Sabrent Rocket also seems to get good reviews as well, and comes with free acronis so I can clone my current drive.

Oh, and as for the bw/am thing, its actually listed on the pdf spec sheet for the drives on the Samsung website, with no mention of any differences. So I'm very confused as to the price differences. I tried to attach a screenshot but I'm on mobile and can't figure out how to get it on here.

90D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  4. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    You can clone any drive / OS using clonezilla on a USB boot drive.

As for the drives themselves testing them is fairly easy to do if you have 2 M2 slots just bulk copy a bunch of data and if it starts high and then drops suddenly in the middle then it's time to try a different ones.

I have dual drives in my laptop but, both have the same controller Phison E12. They're a BPX Pro and a NY CS3030. Both hit over 1GB in transfers but, the PNY hits a higher 1.5GB/s in copies. The only time I got caught up int he chips was when playing around with GPU's and mining. In that instance the chips make a big difference in how you configure the cards to perform better for calculations / hashes. Drives on the other hand you want to be cool when idle and not too hot when they're being pushed with bulk transfers.

In reality any NVME version is fine for most activities unless you get turned on by break neck speeds. The only real "need" for these things is saving time when copying large data. Otherwise they're mostly idle when doing most anything on your machine. If you're doing drive intensive calculations then it might make more sense to target Gen 4/5 drives but, paying the premium if you're not then it doesn't make much sense.

Boot time ~10 seconds for Windows is mostly slow because well, it's windows. Even in an enclosures these drives typically top out at 800MB/s on USB-C gen 2. There are other options that move faster like TB3 / USB4 but, the ports aren't widely available in most most machines. Now, when it comes to networking that's a different story as I have a 5gps USBC adapter for copying things faster on the network and it was ~$75 vs a 10gbps TB3 adapter running around $200-$300 for the licensing for TB.

Anyway... you can grab apps for synthetic testing but, what good is that in the real world use of copying files?

5. Canon 90D

Reputations:
    My main use for this new laptop is for photo editing with programs like On1 Photo Raw, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. The pictures all either come from my Canon 90D which is a near 33 megapixel camera and I shoot in both RAW and JPEG formats. It will also do 4k video at 30fps but I rarely take videos. So, most of the time when I dump my memory card over to sift through my files it is around a 70-80gb transfer. So I like the idea of faster read/write speeds, but I'm a bit inhibited by the internal SD card reader which generally tops out around 300mb/s. Ive yet to try my external USB 3.0 card reader since I've been amazed at the increase of speed on this laptop compared to my old one that was around 11mb/s with a HDD. Its a 10 year old HP Elitebook.

I don't do much gaming if any at all so my main reason for the speed is moving and transferring the photo files around. I do want something reliable though so I don't end up losing any data until I get a good external SSD to backup everything to.

90D

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you go with Samsung, and as I mentioned in your other thread, they provide a free cloning utility you can download. I've used this to duplicate an Intel-branded boot drive to a 970 Evo, and it worked perfectly.

Papusan likes this.
  7. Canon 90D

Reputations:
    Thats still my plan at the moment, but the difference in model numbers has got me confused and was looking at other options. I don't want to accidentally purchase the incorrect drive. The Samsung agent in their chat couldn't even tell me the difference with the two names or the reason for it.

90D

8. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Yeah, the SD is your limiting factor but, any NVME generation will supersede that speed. An SATA SSD would still perform better. There's a new SD Express and CF media cards coming out that push higher speeds but, nothing built in prior to their release would take advantage and need a USB/TB dongle to take advantage of the speeds.

Tech is always advancing and OEM's are always playing catch up to be to the market first with the new options that roll out it seems every 3-6 months at this point. I was doing a bit of work on microSD cards and picked up a USB-C reader / thumb drive and it worked well. I found a Patriot 128GB that hit speeds around 80MB/s which isn't bad for a $20 card. The express SD though IIRC can hit up to 800MB/s which is on par for my NVME in an enclosure.

Depending on the camera setup it might be just as well to grab an NVME / Enclosure and save directly to the drive. Depends on how you feel about either running a longer cord to a pocket or some double sided tape to the body of the camera to attach the enclosure.

Video typically only needs 10mbps per stream for HD and maybe 50-75mbps uncompressed. I have a 4-tuner in my server for catching OTA signals onto Plex for DVR but I convert them to MP4 to reduce the MP2 by 80%.

Piecing the pipeline together for optimal speed / memory / expense takes some forethought with future proofing things.

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah until or if pcie based SD cards become a standard SD card speeds probably wont see drastic differences in performance. Though I think the issue then becomes cooling of the SD card itself iirc

Not my field of interest, so this could be wrong or outdated.

10. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Tech Junky actually warned me just awhile back about the controller swapping sruff when I was looking to get a new drive. I ended up with the WD Black SN850 1TB with the Phison controller and it's been exceptional. The software support is also awesome. I've always bought Samsung so I was used to Samsung Magician software but this WD software blows that out of the water.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk