Configuration suggestion for Eurocom Sky X4C / Clevo P751TM1-G

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Rocktaze, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I'm being offered a sweet deal on my next Eurocom purchase so i choose the Sky X4C
    http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,431,0)SkyX4C

I'm not exactly sure what configuration to go with right now so i'm open to suggestion.
    Currently debating between these option :

Screen : 120hz tn 5ms (+129$) vs 144hz 9ms ips (+183$)
    GPU : GTX 1070 (+96$) vs GTX 1080 (+520$)
    Processor : 8700k (0$) vs 8600k (-145$) vs 8400 (-187$) vs 9600k (-62$) vs 9700k (+108$)

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    You are aware that Eurocom is no longer a PREMA Partner right? Thus, you won't get the Prema BIOS.

I don't know if you've been reading the forums lately but I personally wouldn't touch a Clevo laptop without the Prema BIOS.

Prema BIOS Benefits:

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
    • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
    • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
    • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
    • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
    • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
    • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
    • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
    • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
    • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
    • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
    • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
    • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
    • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

3. Rocktaze

Reputations:
    I understand that but it would cost me more to buy an MSI laptop with a i7-8750 paired with a GTX 1060 than it would cost me to buy the X4C with a 9700k with a GTX 1070.
    I'm getting a really good deal.

I'm from Canada and we don't have many options when it comes to buying custom laptop.

4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    In that case, I would choose:

- 144hz 9ms ips
    - GTX 1070 (The GTX 1080 while better, bumps up the price by a big margin and would give much value in the future when selling it as per what you paid since the next gen GPUs are around the next corner

5. Rocktaze

Reputations:
    The 9700k seem's like a really solid choice, the GTX 1070 was my better choice aswell.
    About the 144hz screen, is ther e any game out there that i will push @ 144hz with a GTX 1070? Or is it mainly for the IPS aspect of it?

6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I chose 144hz because of the smoothness of a 144hz refresh rate. Any game can push up to the screen refresh rate if your hardware can support it.

Watching movies can also be at your screen's refresh rate rather than the boring 30 FPS using SVP (Smooth Video Project). When you watch a movie at 120FPS or 144 FPS you would never be able to watch a 30 FPS movie again. The smoothness is just insane!

7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭ค ̷̧̟̭̺͕̜̦̔̏̊̍ͧ͊́̚̕͞ עٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:

Honestly I'm really disappointed by Euro's actions that led to this.

Ultra Male likes this.
  8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If it helps, you can play around with the simplified configurator here: P750TM HidEvolution version. It will automatically calculate your laptop's rating based on what components you choose, so you can compare various configurations and see how much you gain regarding performance/feature vs price.
    Unfortunately, I don't have all Eurcom's options, since the configurator is based on Sager/HidEvolution models.

But you can see there is a significant gain from 8600K to 8700K. However, I can tell you there is not much gain from 8700K to 9700K, plus the 9700K runs much hotter. Our processor rating is the performance relative to the 9900K, with the 9900K having a 100/100 score.
    So overall, I would say that the 8700K is the better choice for your laptop, especially since your laptop is 15 inches. In a laptop form factor, you should get better, more consistent performance with the 8700K.

The performance gains from the GTX 1070 to the GTX 1080 is not worth the extra $550, but that's up to you. The GTX 1060 offers the best performance per buck, the higher you go, the less you gain for your dollar. So my recommendation is to stick with the GTx 1070. Plus the P750 will have trouble cooling the GTX 1080, and it will probably throttle it anyway, so why bother.

For the display, that's a complicated thing; both displays are excellent. It now depends on what you plan on doing, If you are going to do any photoshop or video editing work, the IPS is better. If you are going to play shooters, the TN might have a little edge over the IPS due to its better response time. If you don't play competitive multiplayer games, then the IPS is probably better.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Ultra Male likes this.
  9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭ค ̷̧̟̭̺͕̜̦̔̏̊̍ͧ͊́̚̕͞ עٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    You also can't delid the 9x series without serious risk since it's soldered.

10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Honnestly, you have a flippin F5, why would you even bother?

Blacky likes this.