[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If your having thermal throttling use my guide, it fixes the issue and will work until Dell provides a fix.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...x-r3-580m-thermal-throttling.html#post8345887

2. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    Yeah my vbios fix plus Yoda's temporary software solution eliminates all throttling. Unfortunately, it is not a perfect world. Yoda's fix isn't the most elegant and neither is mine. We still need a real fix from Dell.

3. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Forgot to add, my model's fan profile seems to be fine. i see max fans around 65 depending on load but they have always been humming away at max for some time before it hit the wall.

4. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    Yeah but Yoda's fan profile overrides the EC allowing your temps to go over 78 without throttle.

5. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    I've done both and can't thank you both enough for workarounds that makes my machine usable. I still do get the top throttle but i have to have the card clocked around 720 and not prop it up so not the show stopper that it was.

Now I'm just fascinated by what the problem is. my hope is that a BIOS fix will be produced by Dell and all the delays and other strangeness is simply waiting for their programmers.

6. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I doubt those are max fans, the max EC profile fans and actual max fan are a big leap. Max fan sounds like a fighter jet is taking off using your desk as a runway. I have never been able to get mine to gain heat at all running at true max fan, and even 3500 and 3900 RPM (which i set in my guide to be in the 60's) are faster than the built-in profiles fastest speed.

If you can't manually set your fan higher than it normally goes then it might be a defective fan. Try manually setting it to 5000, it should max out between 4300 and 4600 RPM which should be noticeably faster than it normally ever goes.

7. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    I need to go back and check i did it all as i still see the 78 one :(

Sounds right, I do remember the MX18 I had for a short period turning heads when the fans really kicked in. I'm checking out your link (that I missed above!) now. thanks again.

8. Froddo

Froddo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I’m from Spain and yesterday I received my new laptop R3 with this graphic card.
    I have the throttling problem…but I have one friend who received his laptop yesterday with the same configuration and he haven´t any problem with it!! And his max temps are 69°, how it´s possible?? Where’s the problem in my laptop??...the thermal compound??...i don´t understand…

(sorry for my english!)

9. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could be the paste job on his system was done better then yours. If you can, try redoing the paste and see if that helps. Also, make sure you guys are running it in the same environment (not sure if you are or not). If his house is cooler than your house, his might not reach the same temps. Also make sure you're running the same benchmarks or games.

10. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess we will be battling two problems here. Some people will have a poor performing 580m that will reach 78C easily while just playing most games. These people will have a bad GPU, poor thermal compound, or problems with their thermal pads, etc.

The second group is those who have a properly performing 580m that will tend to pass this thermal threshold after playing a particularly demanding game for a couple of hours. I hope that Dell does not focus in on those with actual physical problems and assume that anyone breaking the 78C barrier has some sort of problem that can be solved with replacement parts and a technician visit.

Ultimately I am hoping for a more aggressive cooling profile and to be allowed to run the card up to 85C or so. I think over a couple of years of ownership the GPU requirements for average games will creep up where my card is being pushed pretty hard all the time. I don't want it arbitrarily throttling itself when it doesn't need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.