[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galbatrox9

galbatrox9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well im gonna be in group 3 :p

2. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    Thanks Bill!!! We really appreciate your time!

I will be going along with group 3 as well, as when I prop the back of laptop my temperatures are fairly low, but I would appreciate the fix as we need some overhead for overclocking

3. dekpos

dekpos Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, Bill, for everything so far! By 2., do you also mean to include those customers who have already had replacements for all the concerned parts, for this particular issue? If so, here is the list of parts Dell India replaced during the service call for my 5-months old M17xR3:

1. V1K2G: ASSY, HTSNK, VGA, N12E, GTX2, M17X

2. F1RJC: PAD, THRM, PSX, CPU, AW

3. GVHX3: ASSY, FAN, CPU, M17XR3

4. 650RY: ASSY, HTSNK, CPU, M17XR3

5. 4K1MM: ASSY, FAN, MXM-CARD, M17XR3

6. 3MF8R: CRD, GRPHC, N12E-GTX2

7. 5VYM9: ASSY, PWA, PLN, ANW, M17XR3

Needless to say, the replacements did not sort the issue.

M17xR3 i7-2760QM 2.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1080p 120Hz 3D, 2GB GTX 580M, 750GB HDD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  4. darkdomino

darkdomino Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    as much as I would like to be indignant and angry about this, I really can't. I've used my M17x for a few months now, and I have not hit the thermal throttle once while playing games. I've played Skyrim for hours on end, and every other game I own. No throttling whatsoever.

The only time I was able to get the laptop to throttle was with Furmark... So I dunno what Dell did, maybe they just did an awesome paste-job out of the factory but I'm not having throttling issues at all.

I have also used my laptop on a chair, on my lap, on a laptop cooler stand, and even on my desk... doesn't matter where it is, whether it's propped up or not, or what.... plays games for hours on end, and never throttles.

5. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am glad that you guys are looking at this more in-depth. I would probably be in group 1, I am willing to help, but I won't be willing to reseat my card, as I feel like it is perfectly pasted at the moment (I get 65c max temp in every game except for Witcher 2 and BF3).

I am sure others will confirm, but replacing hardware won't do a thing, many members have already replaced every related part with no change in behavior, so I would not be up for any of that, as it will just be a pain with no gain.

I would really encourage your engineers to consider the question of why the 580m is throttled and the 6990m is not, while also realizing that no other gaming laptop throttles the 580m, and they are not having issues. If they conclude absolutely that the throttle will not be raised then they should look at the fan profile. The issue is that in some instances (which vary by how good your heatsink is seated and pasted) the card will continue to heat up even at the highest cooling setting.

A quick fix would be to add a fan trigger at around 73C which would run max fan until the system cools to 68C. This would break that slow increase in temps and effectively reset the cooling system. I have been running a similar profile with HWINFO64 and it proved completely effective in eliminating my Witcher 2 throttling issues. In case you guys wish to test it, max heat generation seems to be when in conversations, especially those with a few dynamic light sources in the background, and keep in mind that with a perfect heatsink job it is a slow but constant heat-up, I can't just fire up the game and throttle, I have to play for an hour or two before the card hits that critical throttle level. After it hits it once it will continue to hit it constantly.

6. pau1ow

pau1ow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Shame that the 580m throttlling is not yet sorted out in the M17xR3, as having a Dell 580m, I can tell it is running extremely well in a mere 15.6 notebook so I understand how disappointed some people are.

7. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    Perfection. Thank you very much. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  8. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Been watching this thread closely with me having a new R3 and suffering the problem and I'm beginning to think there is much more going on than dell are admitting to. I'm very grateful that we have dell reps here and working the problem but with what I see in other threads about the 580 being removed from the build and not even a 'out-of-stock' notice, the MX18 getting a fix easily, other laptops with this card having no issues, I start to think what are they (Dell) not saying. Tell me I'm way off-course but the only thing I can think of is that the MX17 R3's power supply is not up to the job? I see the P1 throttle at very low temps, around 65 and always when GPU utilisation is over 95%. If the throttle is to protect a poor power supply then it could cost Dell dearly. I hope i'm just being paranoid but having fought with this problem from day-one of purchase I'm not seeing any logic for dragging out what appears to be a simple BIOS fix...

9. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    If you have the low throttle, why not apply my throttle fix? It works for that.

10. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks, I did, I'm now hoping for the one you are looking for, the P8. i get that after an hour or so of gaming and right now all I do is switch out of the game for a few mins for it to cool down before returning to the game.
    My first thoughts were that there was a component nearby that didn't like the heat but the ppl with AMD's are happily running in the high 80's so that theory went out the window.
    I haven't seen a good reason as to why all the focus has been on reducing temps when the chip is rated far higher and indeed does run OK higher in other machines

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.