[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just a guess, but often the temperature reported by the GPU and by the Compal EC are slightly out of sync. In my experience it throttles based on the EC, so if we are using GPU-Z to monitor temps it may show a max of 77c as reported by the GPU, when the EC saw 78 and bunted us down to P8.

Maybe we can take up a collection to incentivize your engineers to "accidentally" transpose that 78 into an 87?

If there are reasons behind the 78c throttle that means it won't be removed or raised, then maybe an adjustment to the fan profile, I have recently been using HWINFO64 to override the fans and that has proved a reasonably effective solution, except that the software isn't perfectly stable and only runs the fans as a set rather than individually.

Anyway, bottom line something still needs to be done, as this does actually effect normal gaming at stock settings. I didn't have any issues with my new unit (in fact it stayed around 65c) until I started playing The Witcher 2. Now without using HWINFO64 to override the fans I will always throttle after an hour or two of Witcher 2 game play. Basically using the normal fan profile my GPU slowly heats up and eventually throttles when playing, however, less intense games like Modern Warfare 3 or Starcraft 2 are stable at 65c.

2. blink_c

blink_c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, very much this. The 580m is rated to withstand up to around 100 degrees. The 78 degree ceiling that is implemented by the BIOS is WAY to low. People should be able to enjoy the full extent of the product they purchased.

3. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    I think you may be onto something there.

4. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hopefully you will be allowed to provide some more details, but I do wonder why the engineers feel there are reasons that the 580m should always stay below 78c, but they let the 6990m go as high as it wants (up to 100c).

If it was an issue of the heat harming other components then I would think the 6990m would have the same thermal restrictions, yet it doesn't. In terms of design Nvidia says the 580m is good up to 100c just like the 6990m, so what is the difference between these cards such that one is limited to 78c and one is allowed to go to 100c?

Anyway, a fan profile update would probably solve the problem in most cases, just please be sure they also fix the SATA speed issue introduced in A09, it will be a bummer to get a bios that fixes the 580m but includes the A09 stuff which cuts my SSD speed in half.

5. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    Keep connecting dots, Yoda. The more points like the last 2 you bring up, the longer it's going to take me to get a response together. (A problem we want right about now.) :)

I have the response all written up, but I'm having to get 2 of Yoda's points reviewed before I can post. Hang in there.

6. blink_c

blink_c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You're awesome. I wish every company had employees as helpful and dedicated as you.

7. Chaos92

Chaos92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Dell-Bill_B -- Dude you are awesome!

It is great to see an employee who actually wants to help out the people. A few of us are from hot climates (I am from India) where the room temps hit 50'C (yes, fifty degree Celsius) so we hit the 77C throttle regularly.

Please do make sure that--
    i. (most imp) we get the throttled removed from the card or atleast the throttle temp increased to the high 80s.
    ii. proper sata 6gbps speeds in ssd. even if only in one port.

Currently waiting for my 2nd laptop replacement in 2 months. This heat issue is probably what killed my laptop this time.

8. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    OK. We've had some good initial internal discussions. Good in that information is starting to flow. I want to first set expectations. Then I'll expand a bit. Firstly, whatever we ultimately do will not happen overnight. We're talking in terms of a few weeks. Most of this time will be spent on discussing alternatives and outcomes. We're going to need some time. Second, whenever we do arrive at a course of action, things will move very quickly, and this topic will close out quickly.

We have pulled together engineers from 2 different groups to look at this. One is the quality team, whose focus is on customer experience and warranty service. The other is the video design architecture team.

Some of the engineering resources who will be looking at this are in the middle of some projects for future products, and some are finishing up projects. So, their bandwidth will be limited at first. The best way we, as a community here, can work with those limitations is to do some information gathering and documentation.

To that end, I'm thinking we need to separate into 3 groups of end users:
    1. Those who want to crack the case, try some hardware reseating, and tweaking of settings.
    2. Those who want to have us replace parts to see how symptoms are affected.
    3. Those who want to do nothing and wait for a fix.

Decide which group you want to be in. Chris will be posting some steps to establish a baseline for those in group 2. I will look at the data already posted by everyone in group 1. If I have any clarifying questions, I'll pop in and post them. We'll use this thread to avoid fragmenting the conversation further.

Feedback? Hang in there folks. We'll get through this best by working together. Chris and I are here to help.

9. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update, Bill. :)

10. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is a great positive step Bill. I'm a newer member (been around since last year, but now finally getting my name into the community). It's great to know we have people on the inside that we are able to interact with.

Currently I'll be in group 3 until I get my system (hopefully early next week). Once I do get it, I'll step up to group 1. Once I get settled in England (which will be next month) I wouldn't mind joining group 2 if needed, and the resources would be available to me out in the UK. Looking forward to lending any help I can to the cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.