[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can just play the tutorial or something for a quick test, be sure to run on high settings and set vram size to Very Large. However, my issues actually came after extended gaming, the default fan profile never kicks up to max speed, and The Witcher 2 would gradually heat up the GPU until I hit 77c, I got my first throttle near the end of the Prologue chapter, which is maybe a few hours long.

Before The Witcher 2 I had not had any game take my GPU over 65c on my new system (my first M17x had serious throttle problems), from Modern Warfare 3 to Assassins Creed 2, Syndicate, Darkness 2, and many more. All those ran at around 65c with the default fan control.

I went ahead and made my guide if you do happen to hit the throttle, it has resolved my issues with The Witcher 2, both with a more aggressive fan profile, but also because it seems to disable the 77c throttle.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...e-fixing-m17x-r3-580m-thermal-throttling.html

2. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    OK all. I no longer cover Alienware platforms, but I'm trying to get the appropriate response from the appropriate team. Having said that, the KB article linked to here is NOT the official response. As far as Dell reps responding unprofessionally, feel free to PM me and point out what was unprofessional. If you are referring to my negative response to a previous post in which the word "retarded" was in the caption of a picture that was posted, that is what you will get out of me every time. I don't like that word used in that sense for deeply personal reasons, and I would appreciate your understanding. If it is a different post you are referring to, graz 'zt, feel free to PM me and let me hear about it.

If no one posts a response by mid day tomorrow, I guarantee I'll come back and shoot straight with you. I will give you the answer we get, and if you don't like it, I'll be happy to advocate on your behalf as hard and long as I have been doing since I joined this site. I am on your side, and I'll tell you when we've hit the wall (meaning we have a final answer none of us like). So far, the issue has only gotten out of chapter one.

You guys want to do a conference call for this one?

I'll return tomorrow. Right now, it's time to get my unruly 3 yr old to go to sleep.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thank you, Bill. You've always been a straight-shooter and I don't expect that to change. Looking forward to hearing more on this subject as soon as more can be shared.

A conference call may not be necessary, but we can do that if the Community feels there is a need.

4. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    oh I see, didn't see the other post with this picture including "retarded" on it. That's my bad then and I take that (unprofessionality) back (I was so shocked when I saw it, but it makes sense now, some posts are deleted I guess?). Anyway as disturbing as a problem this is, I am sure the consensus is that alienware builds one hell of a system and pretty much everybody loves their laptops, even with throttling and so on, I am utterly satisfied with alienware so far. Thank you for explaining the previous situation, good luck with the kid! :)

5. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bill you truly are an awesome company representative. Dell is a better company simply because of you and those like you. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your help so far and your continued assistance, especially now that this is really not your problem anymore. I also have not seen any unprofessional conduct by a Dell representative, you guys have always been professional and helpful with me.

It is good to hear that the article was not the final response. I think that a lot of the backlash in this thread is that people interpreted that article as Dells idea of a resolution for this issue. I am still hopeful that the correct bios changes can be made to fix this issue.

I will be happy to assist in any way I can, if something is needed then feel free to contact me. I have done quite a bit of research into this issue, especially since this last week I was playing The Witcher 2, which is the first game that has caused throttling on my new replacement M17x. My tests and the "fix" I have discovered suggests that the Compal EC is the culprit here, and that it should be updated in a bios update. That could involve removing the 77c throttle, or making the fan profile much more aggressive to avoid the GPU ever hitting 77c. Again, the bottom line that I would tell the engineers is just look at the M18x and replicate the fix. The two systems are extremely similar and our problem is identical to the M18x's old problem, the fix applied to the M18x should work just as well here.

Thanks again for the reply, especially as it is clearly after business hours. We really do appreciate your efforts, and we all hold out hope for a satisfactory resolution.

6. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you sincerely, Bill for addressing this problem with us. It is awesome that you go above and beyond the call of duty to work with us. I apologize for the attacks. :eek: Folks in NBR forums are typically very knowledgable about laptops and very serious (too serious sometimes) about the performance of their machines. Sometimes the group gets a little emotionally overheated on issues. On the flip side of that, we are "that dude" to our friends and families that everyone goes to for advice on what computer to buy and how to fix things. When we tell them Alienware is awesome, they listen. :)

I sent a respectful email referencing the research work that Yoda did to show the card runs stable and safe at temps above 78C. I hope they read and consider it. The problem is with the fan ramps with respect to the thermal profile. It's very fixable and thank you again for bringing this to the attention of people who can possibly fix it for us.

7. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    There's a lot to this situation. I will have to huddle up with the team to talk this through before any of us can can talk specifics, but trust me, there is sound reasoning behind the number- and it's 78, not 77, BTW. :) That's not to say there isn't sound reasoning from you guys, though. It's a classic communication issue. There are tons of reasons for not responding to some of the specifics you guys are discussing. I'll see which of those reasons we can overcome and communicate a little better as a company. Not to worry. We'll get it sorted one way or the other.

8. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    I have a feeling the 78C temperature reported by the sensor is incorrect. With the,M18x, if the temperature reaches 75ish the upper left side of the computer feels quite hot.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

9. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    From what I'm told, the pertinent line of code in the BIOS has a value of 78. I'm not the most technical guy in the world, but my guess is either the software indicating 75ish or the sensor it's reading is off a bit.

10. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Using the stock vbios, my R3 throttles at 78C exactly as reported by HWiNFO64, GPU-Z, Aida Extreme, etc. I don't know whether those readings are precisely accurate, but they are at least consistent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.