[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    I can't officially endorse their work-arounds, but if I owned one of these, I'd be asking wide and Yoda what they want for Christmas. (<-by no means an affirmation from Dell that those work-arounds are endorsed or supported. /disclaimer)

2. brave758

brave758 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    :D enough said.

3. F-117 Nighthawk

F-117 Nighthawk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Revelator, you are right. But it would be good as a customer to be aware of the distinction you make between the 580m and the 6990m before you buy a specific config so you know what you're getting into.

Thnx to reps suchs as Bill and Yoda and Widezu and you guys I am still glad I chose the 580m :) And I also think that Dell should release an updated vbios with a more aggresive fan profile and remove the 63-throttle.

4. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Oops! yes please do this!
    Testing today and I never see max fan (4500) right up to 76 (at which point I stop testing) but using hwinfo and setting max at 70 I stabilize there...

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  6. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    Confirmed. Louis is going to take this to the thermal team to see if we can work out a little something with the fan profiles. It's not the Holy Grail we're all looking for, but it would be the best compromise we can get if we can make it happen.

7. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    Great quote that will be in the email Louis requested, along with about 5 paragraphs of Yoda's posts. ;)

8. blink_c

blink_c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That would be awesome! The biggest problem with Yoda's solution is that both fans blow the same speed, and can't be regulated by both CPU and GPU. The speeds are solely based off the GPU. If we could get an official fan profile fix, I'm sure they would fix that.

9. brave758

brave758 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    :D rock and roll.

10. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    As far as it being solid, it's in the "solid" state because it's a phase change material. It will change between "grease-like" and solid depending on temperature. The material thermal transferance is higher than grease because of this change. Which is also why it is supposed to be thin. We want the heat transference to take place as quickly as possible. If you use our thermal solution, applied correctly to properly cleaned and prepared surfaces, your ambient temperature is not crazy high, and you ensure good air flow, you should not see 78C nearly as often as you do.

I have to say, it's a miss on our end that the solution is not correctly installed, and we'll stand by the warranty to correct that in the field.

And I don't believe I've said this yet, but I want to apologize on behalf of the company for all the hassle and poor experience. We really, really want to make this the best possible situation for you all as best we can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.