[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can see my last post, I have actually benchmarked this stuff.

However, you should get your laptop, try the vBios fix, and see if you get throttling. It is a pretty sad situation at stock, but with a good cooling system you can fix it with modifications. I run the modified vBios, a 20% OC, and on the very few games that hit 78C I use my modified fan profile. My laptop works great with no throttling, and is easily much faster than a 6990m system. Granted, I did a lot to "fix" it from stock, but it is an awesome machine when running at top speed.

2. blink_c

blink_c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With the fan fix and vBIOS fix, you should be fine like Yoda says. what sad though, is that you have to do all this to make the "best mobile graphics card" actually be the best. I feel sorry for the average consumer that doesn't tinker like we do. I would be furious if I wasn't tech-savvy.

3. F-117 Nighthawk

F-117 Nighthawk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Yoda (I feel like Luke in his early days now ;))! I was just typing my reply when you were typing yours I guess. + rep to you!

Your solution is probably my way out, since I choose my config especially for the 3D option it gave.

Also + rep to Bill for being so helpfull! With respect to Dell as a whole, I agree fully with Blink C's post above!

From an average consumer who at this point has spent a lot of time in order to understand how to get the R3 580M system running the way it is intended to run: Dell, please get an official fix asap! This will save Dell (I guess) thousands of dollars on parts, time wasted on this by technicians and helpdesk associates and (future) customers lost because of this issue. It's a good thing I'm not a shareholder or I would have raised h*ll over such waste of resources.

4. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    A good way for Dell to supposedly fix a few things is one: implement my modified vbios as an urgent update for all users solving the power throttle for those who do encounter it and two: better quality control in terms of pasting and padding at the factory.

This way no card will throttle at 65C. And less cards will throttle at 78C.

5. Chaos92

Chaos92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So basically, for those of us with 45C room temps, there is no solution.

Dell should retract this product from places with warm climates, like India.

Currently waiting for 3rd replacement.

I have had multiple replacements of heatsinks and graphics card too.

As for the dell paste being better than MX 4 and all.. what a sham..

The tech that came over didnt apply a 'paste' but instead a thermal pad. And without any cleaning of the surfaces.

I can't even get a full refund here. This is frustrating.

6. PhoenixBennu

PhoenixBennu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If your ambient temps are that high you may want to watch the sweat drops on the computer so as to avoid liquid damage. lol.

As far as the tech goes. If you are not satisfied with the method o repair and it has not resolved your issue, then absolutely call in and request another repair. As was discussed in the call, it is your machine and if you have to stand over the techs shoulder breathing down his neck telling him what you want him to do, then so be it. A tech half assing a job is just going to result in another call out, and more frustration. Be sure to voice your opinions on what they are doing while they are doing it.

7. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    Let me get this straight, issue aside. You operate your system in a room that's 113F, and your opinion is basically the onus is on Dell to develop a cooling system for the box that keeps the component temperatures at less than 172F? If you have no choice but to operate the system at that ambient temperature, you need a lot more than the thermal solution ANY manufacturer I'm aware of is capable of providing. If you want to have a refund processed, I can't guarantee what we can get done in another region, but we will be happy to try. Please send a PM to DellChrisM so we can get you over to our contacts in India support with our recommendation to process a return.

Edit:
    From the system manual, chapter 7, page 116:

Temperature range
    Operating 0° to 35°C (32° to 95°F)

8. brave758

brave758 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Shame i could be on the call, sounds like a lot of good info has been passed around. As for the comments about the thermal paste I for one would be inclined to agree that the Dell spec would be of a higher quality, but not applied with the same level of care that you would do yourself (I know intel use dow-corning on there high end stuff). So i hope this is supplied with the kit.

I think as widezu69 has pointed out the only way for a viable fix for the system is going to have to be a software implementation of the user fixes all-ready out there i.e better fan profiling, was the question asked if upgraded fans could be supplied or have they been tried.

One thing i didn't/haven't picked up is: Did we get a fix out of the call?

Again thanks for all the hard work by both parties lets see if we can finally but this to bed

9. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As Dell explained on the call they are not looking for a fix. To stay within their specs and rules they HAD to implement these 2 throttles, and they have no leeway to change those throttles at all.

If we as users want to do it we can, but there will never be an official "fix" since Dell does not consider it an issue. It is just the only way they could put the 580m in the M17x and stay within their limits.

10. brave758

brave758 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh :(
    may aswell call it thread closed then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.