[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    @Phoenix. Nice post with some good points however I disagree with the comment about thermal material. There is no way in heaven or hell that premium thermal pastes not as good as the stuff Dell ships with their cards. Every time I repaste it is much better. The problem isn't that the paste itself is bad, but the fact that they apply it like thermal pad. It is a thin sheet of really hard stuff. that just sits between the GPU and contact area. So even if the paste is good stuff, the application stops it from being effective.

2. PhoenixBennu

PhoenixBennu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Widezu69, I have to agree with you there. I posted the info as was discussed in the call, but we can all have our own, behind the scenes, views of that information. Personally, I have to say, as you did, that its more about the application than the paste itself.

3. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's a shame I had to miss this call. I really wanted to listen in. I was busy all day cleaning the house we are moving out of.

I was wondering if I would be able to get the full replacement parts after I moved to England? I don't think I'll need them as I haven't hit the 78C throttle, but I also haven't been gaming much yet. Once I get to England, I'll be doing a repaste and/or repadding of my GPU. If I run into something, would I be able to speak with a US rep here, or do I need to call up Dell UK?

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Everyone did a great job on this call. A number of contributors from this forum added a lot of value to the dialogue... I'm proud to be associated with all of you through the forum. Special thanks to Yoda and widezu69 for the extra work you guys did to pull things together for the call.

Bill, Chris, Louis... thanks again. I never cease to be amazed by you gentlemen. Dell is very fortunate to have you, and so are we.

5. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, Yoda, and widezu were great! I really appreciate the effort you put into getting this thing together. I thought it went really well and I learned a lot about my R3.

I hope I didn't interrupt too much. I was trying to add to the conversation a little and I was hesitant to do so because I knew I wasn't one of the designees for us.

6. PhoenixBennu

PhoenixBennu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With the exception of myself, haha just kidding, I dont think anyone should have held back being as involved as they were. All the contributions were awesome, and much more informative then I originally planned on the conversation being. Especially about the adjacent issues.

My kudos to everyone setting this up, and those leading the discussion. You guys were great and it was very much appreciated. :)

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think everyone that spoke up had something valuable to add. It was also very cool getting to hear what an intelligent bunch of professionals, from a variety of career backgrounds, that we have in good company here at NBR.

8. kakaroth1977

kakaroth1977 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi anyone asked question about Sata3 issues ?

9. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    That was a blast. You guys are indeed an impressive group of people. I think I can speak for all of us on the Dell side when I say thanks for your patience as we try to work through this the best we can, given aforementioned parameters. We're very grateful for your enthusiasm for a brand we're all pretty proud of.

I think you can. I have not worked directly with the service contract policies in a long time, so it could be different now. I found the ownership transfer page, and I think the ownership transfer works as an international support contract transfer as well. You can fill in the information here, and see if it takes you to an option to transfer ownership from one country to another. I didn't have a service tag handy to test with. Let us know if you need some assistance.

10. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Bill. I will definitely look into this once I get to the UK. I checked to see if I could transfer now, but I only have a PO Box for England, and it wants a physical address. I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

A bit off topic, but I was playing some NFSWorld and my temps only got up to about 60C. Don't think the game is too taxing, but nice to know I can play it for over an hour without any issues. I'm really loving this system and the 580M is amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.