[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Guys, being disrespectful to anyone, including our highly valued members that are Dell Representatives, will not be tolerated. It is perfectly acceptable to express your dissatisfaction with the throttling in a civilized manner, but smarting comments and the like will not only be a disincentive for Dell/Alienware to help, but it may result in infractions or banning depending on the content.

I think some apologies are in order, and I will be the first to apologize (on behalf of others) for things that were posted that are inappropriate.

Please keep the comments civil so we don't have to lock the thread or take adverse action. I invite some of you to edit your posts. A number have already been deleted.

2. Volkly

Volkly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seems the M17x owners with the 580m got the short end. Consumers buy this notebook for gaming and after an hour or so of gameplay when it throttles, it's not serving its purpose for the user. With this acknowledgment from Dell now, I wish I would have gotten the amd radeon instead.

3. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    Why was this fixed so quickly for the M18x users so quickly and not here?

4. mark_j

mark_j Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I own an early R3 with a 6970m so do not have the throttling issue. However, as an Alienware fan and satisfied customer I have been watching this 580m situation with interest.

What I have observed:
    1. Dell knows about the throttling issue in the R3
    2. Dell fixed the throttling issue in the m18x
    3. Dell blames the R3 throttling on dirty vents and bad paste jobs
    4. Dell continues to sell the 580m (at a price premium!!)

I have been showing off my R3 and recommending Alienware to anyone interested in PC gaming for almost a year now. I think that is going to stop. Very disappointing.

5. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A disappointing response, and hopefully not the final resolution.

On the bright side I guess we can now email resolution experts and try to get things resolved. Sadly, this is not a heat sink issue, a tiny bit of thermal pad won't fix it, and I fear contacting the resolution experts will just prove a colossal waste of time.

This is a bios issue, specifically it is the Compal EC which causes this behavior. First, the EC employs extremely lenient fans, so temps are allowed to rise too high. Then, the EC won't kick the system into high cooling mode before we hit 77c, and then when we hit 77c we are bunted down to P8.

What Dell needs to do is go look at the M18x and find this issue. Then send all that documentation to the M17x engineers and tell them that it is the same issue, and they should just do the same fix. The M18x had the issue resolved with a bios update and that is what will be required to fix this issue on the M17x.

6. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    :no: Now I guess I have to decide if I'm willing to put up with this or return the system for a refund. 78C is a very low temp at which to start throttling. I would imagine it won't be long before your average DX11 game is pushing it hard enough to keep it in the mid seventies all the time. It just doesn't make any sense. With proper fan thermal profiles this card can hum right along in the eighties all day long.

7. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    I was just not expecting this level of answers from Dell reps, SO unprofessional (we are customers, we are not supposed to be professional, that is a courtesy already given to you because of your good service and because we are overall satisfied customers), first time hearing a response like this in any business relation and from a Dell rep, still cannot believe it...

anyway, people already pointed out to obvious, why it is impossible to do the same what Dell did for m18x, no clue, hope they will change their attitude towards this matter, and their manners contacting their customers... disappointed.

8. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am planning to write a guide soon, maybe even tonight, that may prove to be a fix for these issues. It was something another member brought up a long time ago, and I have recently been investigating it since I found that The Witcher 2 would consistently hit the 78c throttle, so far it seems promising.

Hopefully Dell will take another look at this, since this response feels like it was thrown together in a couple of minutes by people that did not really investigate the issue, the community has done far more research than it feels like Dell did to write their response. This is why there were so many angry people in this thread, a lot of people have REALLY struggled with this issue, and to get "Clean the dust, add a half inch of thermal pad, and all will be fixed" as a response is pretty infuriating. We have people that have replaced all thermal pads and paste with top grade stuff and still have this problem, it is not a heat sink issue, it is a bios/Compal EC problem just like with the M18x.

9. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have The Witcher 2. Is there a benchmark in it where you can just let it run through some screens to test? I haven't actually played it yet. It's in my backlog. I bought it during the Steam holiday sale. I will play it and see if it runs me up against the throttle temp. To be honest, the games I have been playing since I bought it get no warmer than 71C and with the new 295.73 drivers I stay below 70C all the time. At least, in the games I've been playing. Also, I did repaste my GPU and CPU with Arctic Cooling MX-4 already.

10. blink_c

blink_c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Who I'm sad for the most, is the average consumer. We geek out and do research on here, repaste, do all the tricks. But an average person that wants a gaming laptop and has stuttering and a slamming halt to their games while playing, would probably be even more upset than us, because they don't understand. even though I would repaste and such either way, people shouldn't have to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.