[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hopefully everyone got their invites, make sure you guys understand what time the call is taking place. Unless I am mistaken in will be at 2PM today Mountain Daylight Time. Here is a link that shows the current MDT, so you can figure out when that is for you locally: MDT – Mountain Daylight Time

2. brave758

brave758 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    good luck :)

3. n0¢yph3r

n0¢yph3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like MDT is currently GMT -6 which is also the standard time for the Central Time zone. So will be 1400 @ GMT -6. Unless I am wrong and getting MDT and MST confused...ugh, the one thing I hate is daylight savings time and how some places follow it and others do not.

4. Vytis

Vytis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Call at 2PM or 3PM? Can anybody confirm?

5. YodaGoneMad

Reputations:
    2PM MDT, roughly 1 hour from now.

6. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    :( Blocked by the firewall. Wanted to join your chat.

7. blink_c

blink_c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nothing really happened in the chat. I couldn't get to the call because work was too busy, so I joined the chat. No one said anything though, lol.

8. n0¢yph3r

n0¢yph3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its funny, really. I was all set to join the call and I got a call from another employer whom I have been wanting to work for. They wanted to do a phone interview, so I didn't get to join. :(

However, on a better note, I probably have this job if the big boss likes me. Got a face to face tomorrow. :)

Hope the call went well. Please give us the highlights if possible.

9. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    Congrats! Call went well from my perspective, but I'll let the fellas give the recap. After the first recap post, I'll have another post to follow up on some service issues.

10. YodaGoneMad

Reputations:
    Everyone was busy talking and listening, it was impossible to type and listen, at least for me.

Short version, while the cores of both the 580m and 6990m draw similar amounts of power (the TDP), the cards as a whole draw different amounts of power. The 580m draws significantly more as an entire card than the 6990m. The throttles are a response to this increased draw, both to keep the M17x within the specs for the MXM slot as well as to adhere to Dell specifications such as maximum skin temperature.

The M18x does not have the throttle because it uses different parts, the MXM slots specifically are different, and there is more air flow and cooling potential.

Other brands may not have the throttle because they are not following all the rules that Dell follows or because they have more room and cooling potential.

Basically, if you get 78C throttling at stock settings (so stock vBios), then there is going to be some contact information posted on these forums for you to use and you will be able to get a correct full set of replacement parts that you can install yourself or get a tech to install. However, there is no "wiggle room" and the engineer on the call was very clear that it is "maxed out" for Dell and the specs he has to adhere to. There will not be a throttle removal or a temperature increase on current M17x hardware because there is no room or ability for the engineers to do it.

Basically, where we are today, is that if you absolutely don't want throttling, then get a 6990m. If you get a 580m and have 78C throttling at stock you can get new parts to fix the problem. If you have a 580m and want to avoid throttles then you will need to use the solutions already covered on the forum. You can flash the vBios to remove the power throttle and you can use my HWINFO mod to avoid the 78C throttle, assuming your heat sink and everything is fully functioning.

Bill also put to rest the idea that re-pasting voids your warranty. As long as you don't break anything you are allowed to do whatever you want with your machine.

It was an interesting call, it is a bit disappointing that there is really no solution (beyond the ones we have already developed), but I understand that Dell is just doing the best they can with the specs they have. I still think the M17x is an amazing machine, and Dell really does care, as they have shown and continue to show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.