[Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [SEE POST #191 and later]

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DELLChrisM, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DELLChrisM

DELLChrisM Company Representative

Reputations:
    Please click here

7/31/12
    The original post was written when all customers were still inside of warranty. For out of warranty customers, you will need to contact Dell Spare Parts for you region and purchase the part below -
    RFYN9 N12E-GTX2 GeForce GTX580m Kit (Video card 3MF8R + Thermal Assemblies V1K2G)

You will need to do the removal and installation yourself. Refer to the online Service Manual for instructions:
    Alienware: Online Documentation

4/4/12 Updating with information from the con call -
    Why does this occur?
    We have to look at the entire system when dealing with temperatures, not just one component like the MXM slot. So with the heatsink installed properly, the M17x-R3 system should not hit 78C° in a normal gaming environment. The 78C° throttling has nothing to do with the MXM slot. It is entirely the GPU and skin temperature requirements, thus, the thermal solution and ambient temperature are the only factors. If the system is not hitting 78C° within a few minutes (like two) with any GPU stress application, the system is very likely working as it was designed. Hitting throttle points for graphics is a normal occurrence with the Nvidia GeForce GTX580m. If you remember, there were two different types of throttling, power (wattage) and temperature (GPU). For power throttling, the system will use P1 and for temperature it uses P8. What you are seeing is not an M17x-R3 MXM slot defect, but rather a result of the system design thermal requirements.

If your M17x-R3 is throttling within 2 minutes when running a GPU stress application, then the heatsink and thermal paste were not configured properly.

* For USA and Canada customers, contact: AWCC-Resolution_experts@dell.com
    * For all others, contact Dell Technical Support for your country

* Provide the following information:
    Service Tag =
    Name =
    Shipping Address =
    Phone Number =
    Best Time To Reach You =
    Email Address =
    Issue = M17x-R3 GTX580m throttling at 78C°
    Need = Onsite Service or Parts Only Service
    Parts Needed =
    3MF8R GTX580m Video Card
    V1K2G GTX580m MXM Thermal Module Heat Sink

2. vortexblade

vortexblade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you have got to be kidding me..

3. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    Strange how Dell says that it is implemented by video card manufacturer and yet all other laptops from other brands with the same video card don't throttle at 78C...

4. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    neat trick, "clean the vents" :D

5. nayilalien

nayilalien Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so is this the solution that everyone's been waiting for?

6. Keith

Keith Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Especially considering the fact that Dell fixed the 580m throttling issue on the m18x!

7. DELLChrisM

DELLChrisM Company Representative

Reputations:
    All,

There is an email listed in there that you can use to voice your dissatisfaction with the article. But please be courteous.

8. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    No need to flame. We're just trying to help. "Retarded" references have no place in this discussion.

9. blink_c

blink_c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just to be clear, this exact same issue was resolved on the M18x with a BIOS update, correct? I just want to have all my ducks in a row for when I send in the email complaint. I will be courteous, as always, just really need to make a point on this that it's not us. We've re-pasted, re-padded, cleaned, and elevated. Point of the matter is that it throttles at 78 degrees, and it shouldn't.

10. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm guessing that Round Rock handed this issue off to the Indian telephone support techs, who simply implemented the standard policy of denial, delay, disinformation and indifference, coupled in this instance with astounding incompetence. I found this particularly incisive and responsive:

"When Video Cards starts reaching the throttling temperatures, it means the computer is experiencing some internal and external conditions which make temperatures going up. Software and Hardware can make changes on the system temperature."

This Memo and response is an unpredecdented level of lame, even for Dell.

@BillB and ChrisM -- Thank you for your efforts in connection with this issue, but you -- and we -- are playing against a stacked deck. I feel like a complete idiot for ever believing or suggesting that Dell would rectify this obvious defect once brought to its attention. :eek: :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.