1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Conexant SmartAudio 221 Driver v. 4.92.2.0/3.64.2.50 (4/13/09)

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by dhc014, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhc014

dhc014 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There seem to be newer drivers from Lenovo which can be used for the Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 in the P-7805u (and others perhaps). Do not install them unless you're having problems, or are missing drivers since these are not actually intended for the 7805u. Lenovo is providing updates fairly regularly

Windows 7
    Windows Vista/XP

You can also find these files by looking up the audio drivers for the Lenovo Thinkpad R400 /R500

The driver must be installed manually and the Smart Audio II program can be installed manually also.

Allowing Windows to update the driver automatically will overwrite the driver with the generic High Definition Audio driver from Microsoft, so try to avoid doing this.

When using Microsoft drivers, the headset and mic jacks show up separately from the built-in headset and mic and you have to restart programs to get them to switch between audio devices. When using Conexant SmartAudio 221 drivers, plugging in headphones mutes the built-in speakers and sends sound through the jack on-the-fly. I could never get the microphone jack working when using the generic Microsoft drivers.

Force the driver to install:
    1. Download and run the Conexant Audio Software .exe for your operating system to extract the drivers and application.
    2. Open Device manager and expand the Sound, video and game controllers section.
    3. Right click on Either the High Definition Audio Device if you have the generic Microsoft drivers, or the Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 if you have older Conexant drivers and choose "Update Driver Software..."
    4. Click Browse my computer for driver software, then click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
    5. Click "Have Disk..." then Browse to the folder where the drivers were extracted, by default this is C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AUDIO\V64 for 64-bit Vista, C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AUDIO\V32 for 32-bit Vista and C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AUDIO\XP32 for 32-bit XP. Click OK.
    6. If there are multiple different Conexant Audio Devices available, you might have to do some trial and error to find out which one is best. The goal is to end up with a working microphone and SPDIF output in your playback devices as well as working speakers and headphones.
    7. Click Next, and you're done.

Install the SmartAudio II Application:
    1. Run C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AUDIO\SAII\Setup.exe
    2. Wait for installation to complate, there are no prompts and the installation just disappears.
    3. Access the SmartAudio II Application through Control Panel, or at C:\Program Files\CONEXANT\SAII

Attached Files:

2. iaTa

iaTa Do Not Feed

Reputations:
    Great find. Will test them later.

Cheers, +rep.

By the way it does usually matter which one you choose when installing manually. If I remember rightly you had to choose the second item when manually installing the official drivers from Gateway.

3. newdeepdan

newdeepdan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just installed these drivers, but I'm having an issue with what seems like 'crackling sounds' when I'm not playing any sounds.

4. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
    no problems here, try uninstalling the drivers completely, then rebooting, then reinstalling them

5. wootage

wootage Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    woot XP sound drivers for the 78xx series! Ima download and save them for when I move back up to a real gaming laptop. Thanks!

6. Kazeari

Kazeari Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any idea if there is stereo mix?

7. dhc014

Reputations:
    There is not.
    I think that Virtual Audio Cable has been used by others for this purpose.

8. Syngensmyth

Syngensmyth In All Seriousness

Reputations:
    When I point to the driver folder, Winblows says no better driver found. Any suggestions? I would think the date would be the trigger. I suppose if I uninstalled the current.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I tried to run the installer
    [​IMG]

9. dhc014

Reputations:
    You have to follow the directions in the first post, specifically steps 4 and up. You're not Clicking "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" then "Have Disk"

10. Syngensmyth

Syngensmyth In All Seriousness

Reputations:
    Edit: You are correct and this is wrong.->see next comment.
    Sure I am. How else would I arrive at the graphic in your post. That graphic comes directly from the "Have Disk" option. Although on Vista it is not "Have Disk"
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.