Conex tip for Touchstyk?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by cvec7, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cvec7

cvec7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey all, I received my Elitebook 8740p yesterday after using Thinkpads for years..

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a convex (curved upwards) touchstyk tip that will fit on the Elitebooks? I tried using my convex Thinkpad nub on it, but it's too big and won't even move the cursor at all.

I require the ability to use that pointer nub, and I find the concave standard tip to be too slippery and clumsy.

2. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I wonder if HP changed the size of the pointing stick between the xx30 and xx40 generations? Because I've been using a ThinkPad cap (specifically, the Soft Dome) with my 6930p for over a year now, and it works perfectly. I've also tried the other ThinkPad caps, as well as some Dell caps, and they all work fine.

3. cvec7

Reputations:
    I'm thinking it just doesn't work with the newer chicklet style keyboards. The 6930p is not chicklet-style, correct?

Sometimes when I pull the nub off the Thinkpad, a black plastic insert comes up with it. Is the same 'insert' type piece removable on the Elitebooks? Or, yours at least? If I could remove it, I think I'd be able to use it.
    But, the Thinkpad nub sticks way out above the keys since those chicklet keys are so short. Not a big deal if it would just fit properly...

4. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Correct. Though I thought the xx40 series had essentially the same keyboards, just with a slightly different, stepped profile. It wasn't until the xx60 series that HP went full chiclet.

I think I see the part you're talking about on my EliteBook, and no, it doesn't seem to be removable. It hasn't come off once on its own, and gently prying with a pair of small pliers couldn't move it. I'm not going to try harder, because I don't want to risk damaging the pointing stick.

That's a shame, because the Soft Dome cap is perfect on my 6930p. The cap extends maybe half a millimetre above the keycaps, no more, and looks and feels like it was made for this laptop.

In case you (or someone else) find this useful, the pointing stick on my 6930p measures 4.53 mm in both dimensions. I cannot measure the height as the depth gauge on my digital calipers is broken. The inner hole in the ThinkPad caps I have measures ~4.2 mm in both dimensions (hard to measure precisely as the material flexes and stretches), the one in the EliteBook stock cap is ~4.4 mm. Sorry I can't be of more help, I don't even know anyone with a xx40 series EliteBook so I could compare the trackpoint with mine.

5. cvec7

Reputations:
    Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

I might try trimming down one of my Thinkpad nub tips to see if I can get it to fit better and be usable on the Elitebook.

I'm not terribly pleased with my 8470p at all... Obviously don't like the nub (but I think I might get used to it), the font on the f-keys is too small to read from more than 5" away even with my corrected 20/20 vision, no dedicated volume buttons, no on-screen volume display when you adjust the volume, and no middle scroll button. I'll admit I knew about the lack of those buttons when ordering, but I'm not happy since this 'faster' computer seems slower because due to the inferior ergonomics (IMO), I simply can't use it as fast as my Thinkpads.
    But hey, that's just me living up to the nickname of pickiest person alive...

Oh, and the shift key sort of remains active for too long, causing you to have double capitalizations...

Still MILES ahead of my Thinkpads in build quality though...customer service sounds like it's miles ahead too.

6. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ah, you have a 8470p (as in, the latest Ivy Bridge 14" model)? Your original post said 8740p, hence my comments about the xx40 series. In that case there might indeed be significant differences with my 6930p, seeing as yours is 3 generations newer.
    Edit: My bad, I should've recognised your typo, as there's no 8740p - the 17" models only come in "w" versions, so it would be 8740w. I blame it on the really late hour and my lack of sleep :p

Anyway, on-screen notifications about volume changes should be provided by the HP Quick Launch program. Make sure you have it installed, and check the settings to see if the OSD has been turned off.

As for middle scroll button, there's a workaround:
    - open regedit.exe
    - go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults
    - in the right-hand pane, create a new DWORD (32-bit) value, name HasBothButtonFeature, value 1
    - log off and back on again

Now you can have middle click by pressing both buttons together. Further, in the touchpad/trackpoint settings (Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Mouse -> Device Settings) you can now set the middle button action to "Scroll with pointing stick while the button is pressed", to emulate the ThinkPad behaviour.

Can't guarantee that it'll work on your laptop, but it works fine on mine.

7. cvec7

Reputations:
    You are the man! Got the "3 button" scrolling set up just fine! Not as smooth as on a Thinkpad, but not bad for a hack. :)

I installed Quick Launch, but the OSD still isn't working. Can't find the settings for it either. It's not a program in the Start menu, not in Control Panel, and I can't find any settings in the BIOS. Any ideas???

8. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On my laptop, it's under the "Hardware and Sound" category. If it's not there on yours, see if an icon is present in the notification area (aka systray) or Mobility Center (press Win+X), or just try searching for "quick" in the Start menu.

If you still can't find it, then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Hopefully someone else with a xx60 or xx70 series EliteBook can chime in and help you.

9. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I currently have a 8560w next to me and I'm using a ThinkPad nub (from a discarded keyboard) on my 8510w. I tried replacing the 8560w nub with that one but it doesn't fit correctly and causes cursor to continously move into random direction.

I also went and loaned one nub from a x230 chiclet keyboard but it is basically same as before and performed just as badly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.