Computer Science Student Seeking Guidence

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Miami Chillin, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miami Chillin

Miami Chillin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    I'm pretty much maxed out at $1500 after warranty, tax, etc

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I don't really have a preference. Mainly looking at Dell business laptops.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes. I've been browsing the Dell Outlet.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Programming, web surfing, maybe some movies, light games, editing GoPro videos, and some music production.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Taking it every where

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    MAYBE. I have my console, but I might be tempted to download a couple Steam games or something. Not really a big factor here.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Being a student and always on the go I would like to get a good amount. So maybe 7+?

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Without seeing is ok.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    I grew up on Windows. I am currently using my girlfriends Macbook Pro and its not so bad. Hand gestures and feel is cool, but I think I'll stick with windows.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    I believe 1920x1080p will suffice.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte seems to fit my needs better.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really. Wouldn't mind a good looking laptop, but I'd rather just get what fits my performance needs first before looks.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Most likely in the next week or so

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

4 years doesn't seem to be asking for much with a business laptop

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I would like 1TB. From what I've read, its beneficial to have my OS and common files on an SSD while storing the bulk on a HDD drive. Those SSD prices for higher GBs are a little too crazy for me so this seems more budget friendly.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

Not really. I do come across CDs sometimes but its not a must. More of a want.

Well there it all is fellas. I've asked here in the past and learned a lot from you guys. Especially Jarhead and Ramzay. I got away with using my girlfriends laptop for a while, but not anymore. These are some of the laptops I am currently looking at. Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

*Something I forgot to mention. I would definitely want a numpad. Also I am assuming I would benefit from another screen as well. What do you guys think? Any budget friendly recommendations?

These are the 15's that I found so far. My girls MB is 13'' and its not bad but I wouldn't mind something bigger.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfb&cs=28&key=WjSVing4ZtQQpe1xam0LOg==&puid=2b82aa7e

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfb&cs=28&key=MEe8qbZL8CKjFGT14tgEkQ==&puid=ed6e23ee

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Why hello here. Rare to see posters in this section that remember the users who helped :p.

Anywho, you might remember that I mentioned that I was a CS student not too long ago, so based off of that (and the fact you likely won't play games on this system), your hardware requirements don't need to have really high-end CPUs/GPUs/etc. As far as internal hardware goes, the only thing I'd bother with would be to get a SSD as your storage drive, since that'll have the only noticeable impact on performance for your wants/needs. The prices are a bit more reasonable if you buy the SSD aftermarket and install it yourself, but even then HDDs still have the better $/GB ratio as you've noted. Some systems do have dual 2.5" HDD bays, though the trend these days is that a lot of the newer laptops have both a M.2 SSD slot as well as a 2.5" bay, so you could consider a combination of M.2 SSD and 2.5" HDD (though M.2 SSDs have slightly higher $/GB ratios than 2.5" SSDs). Something to keep in mind if you're thinking of a dual-drive situation.

For the screen, I'd agree with you on the 1080p part; in fact, I'd set that as a minimum since it offers a decent pixel density for 13"-15" laptops and Windows is still a little flaky on >1080p displays right now (though software updates might change that soon).

That all said, since you mention that you want this thing to last 4+ years, I'd again agree on the business-class laptop suggestion you mention. Unfortunately, direct links to Dell's Outlet don't work (it's the way their website is set up). I do see a Latitude 3470 in the Outlet for $719, which has a i3-6100U, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, and a 14" 1080p display; it doesn't have a numpad though (might have to look solely into 15.6" laptops for that these days) and the website doesn't specify if there's a M.2 slot (would have to dig through the spec sheet for that).

As for Lenovo Thinkpads, I see various versions of the T450, T460, T550, and T560 (the T5xxs have numpads, the T4xxs don't) with 1080p displays ranging from ~$600 to the max of your budget in the Lenovo Outlet (however, the Outlet only lets you specify a max storage drive size of 500GB, oddly enough). And for HP's Elitebooks, I found the following with 1080p displays (Ctrl+F the code in parenthesis) :

Elitebook 850 G2 w/256GB SSD (L4A24UTR#ABA)
    another w/256GB SSD (751573R-999-FLXY)
    another w/180GB SSD (L4A26UTR#ABA)
    Elitebook 840 G2 w/256GB SSD (M5G38UTR#ABA)
    another w/256GB SSD (751571R-999-FMTQ)

(note that the 840 and 850 don't come with numpads)

Basically, with HP's Business Outlet, they display their current selection in a simple HTML table so you can just Ctrl-F for a certain feature you want (I found the above with the term "FHD" and just checked the results).

Miami Chillin likes this.
  3. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like you're on the right track looking for business laptops. Latitude E7470? Make sure you get an external docking station proprietary to whatever brand you buy (HP, Dell, Lenovo), and a pair of external LCDs for those long coding sessions.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Well, a dock + monitors would be nice, though not really needed. Never felt the need to have 2+ displays opened at once for my homework (though I also took paper notes rather than digital, so take that as you will).

With the money saved by going refurb, it should be easy to get such a setup with OP''s budget.

5. Miami Chillin

Reputations:
    Haha yea man whats up? Thank you for all the input. I've been mainly looking at ThinkPads, Lattitudes, and also Dells Precision series. They seem to have a few in the outlet. I am a little weary of HP because of their customer service and some issues I've had in the past with them. To me it seems Dell and Lenovo are the stronger contenders. And yes the numpad is definitely a need so I 15" will be the way to go.

6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    The best monitor deal I've found is the AOC i2267 IPS 21.5" monitor. It's only around 100-110 dollars on amazon. I've kept it around as my secondary monitor (To be fair it got replaced by a much larger higher res monitor) as it's always been really solid.

@Jarhead Your famous!

7. Miami Chillin

Reputations:
    Thanks man. I've pretty much got the bulk of my knowledge of laptops from this site. Its pretty cool. As of right now I'm just starting with programming. I have seen here and there that multiple screens can make a difference along with the docking station to save my ports. As of now I don't think it will be necessary, but its good to know for down the road.

8. Miami Chillin

Reputations:

Awesome man I'll look into it. I remember you too though. I believed you had some input for some of the questions I asked on my first thread posted a whiiiiiiiile ago.

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I can definitely agree with HP's consumer-class customer service (Pavilions, Envy, etc.). Through most of the 2000s various family members have owned Pavilion laptops and desktops and whenever things when wrong with them (often), I was always the one who had to deal with it, including calling tech "support". Yay for being the only tech literate person in the family...?

That said, don't mix consumer-class and business-class from the same OEM in your head; they operate as two different businesses and thus will have different qualities of service (with Elitebook/ZBook/etc. service being far better than Pavilion/Envy/etc. service). Same can be same for the differences within Lenovo and Dell's divisions. As another personal story, I helped my sister buy an OEM-refurbed Elitebook 8570p awhile back and after some time something went wrong on it (iirc it was the battery, though I don't remember). They called up HP Business, weren't stuck on the phone for very long, talked to someone who knew what they were talking about, and had a replacement sent within a short time (no more than 2 days iirc).

NBR-Senpai noticed me!

[​IMG]

10. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Lol pretty sure you way way out rank me...

Glad to help Miami!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.