Computer Science Major? Discussion of Major and Outlook of Jobs in 2011

Discussion in 'Programming and Homework Questions' started by postman, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    Indeed, a CS degree could be oriented towards the functional (learning to program) but most university programs should focus heavily on the conceptual. A CS degree should feel like a math degree.

I'm sure there are some programs that simply aren't good and prioritize way too heavily on learning how to code, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I stepped into a random university that offered a CS degree, I would be surprised if it glossed over all of the conceptual aspects of the science.

Basically, a solid pure CS degree should incorporate a good amount of applied math. Algorithms, logic, combinatorics, number theory, graph theory - that sort of thing. You should also have a good number of classes with "Principles of" in the title, or at least adhere to spirit of that title. It would be good to understand the nature of operating systems, design, whatever else you're interested in (AI, networking, graphics, etc). None of these subjects should be particularly coding heavy.

2. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Agreed. A True CS degree in my mind should feel VERY much like a math degree program. Learning only the tools is never a good thing IMHO, its like teaching a mechanic hopeful to master how all the tools function but not teaching them how a car works.

3. akashram

akashram Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Computer Science is easy only, if you have good logical thinking. Jobs also good for computer science engineering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.