Computer Science Major? Discussion of Major and Outlook of Jobs in 2011

Discussion in 'Programming and Homework Questions' started by postman, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    You may want to also consider Computer Engineering. It's more hardware oriented, though you still get to do a lot of programming. I will warn you though (as an electrical engineering student, which shares a lot of similarities), it's very science, math, and logic intensive.

This is the way I see it, though it could very wrong...

[More hardware intensive][In the middle][More software intensive]
    Electrical Engineering||Computer Engineering||Computer Science

The type of programming you'll see with computer engineering may be different from the one you'll see with computer science, perhaps being more of a low level nature. You can see this in the programming courses that I have to take, vs. a CS major. At my university, the ECE students take programming classes based on C, while the CS students take courses based on Java, due to the fact that C is much better suited for working with hardware.

2. tiko2020

tiko2020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

You are right,the problem is that $4/hr is excellent rate in other countries such India and China and unfortunately they dominate such websites which lead to really low wages :( . Anyways I was suggesting this not for earning but for training and developing your experience so you can have powerful CV (it is more an investment than a money-making job)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  3. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    Not for decent software engineers.
    There are however a lot of low class IT classes/schools there which churn out coders who can implement only standard things.

masterchef341 put it well, if the job entails implementing a very standard algorithm using a cook book, there is competition from India/China.

4. postman

postman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hmmm good luck to you man, comp e really seems more difficult for me and I certainly dont want to become an actual engineer, its funny how the IT field creates all these titles such as "software engineer" and "software architect" when all we are really getting are computer science degrees rather than actual 4/5 year ABET accredited degrees. I know the actual process of creating software and applications gives rise to the term software engineering, creating it, but it sounds a little silly to me.

5. redrazor11

redrazor11 Formerly waterwizard11

Reputations:
    Surprisingly enough, the Computer Science/Software Engineering degree track i'm on right now is ABET accredited. Though I hear it doesn't really make much difference because some top college programs like Stanford haven't bothered to become accredited.

6. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    just to continue and reiterate, a CS degree would be useful if you wanted to do university level research related to the NP complete domain- specifically working on better approximations, heuristics, AI, search, or more on the math side of trying to analyze and extend research related to showing whether or not P = NP. It is not necessary at all for codifying an implementation of an NP complete *solver* which works either by approximation (or any method wherein the exactly correct answer is not produced for all inputs) - or runs in worse than polynomial time. I just want to stress how straightforward this is. This problem is so well covered that you can cookbook to victory with textbooks or google.

It's not even a difficult conceptual problem.

For traveling salesman, you have a set of cities (nodes) and highways connecting those cities (edges). Those highways may have different lengths (edge weights). Label all of the cities arbitrarily (numerically). Traverse through all cities in numerical order until you either pass the threshold your looking for (in that case you go back up your traversal tree) or you find a valid solution. That's the entire program. It's like 7 statements all together in english, and just a few lines of code. Approximations may be somewhat more difficult, but they already exist as well for many problems in the domain.

7. postman

postman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    if all else fails its great for becoming a cs professor right?

8. WCFire

WCFire Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I'm a third year in college and am starting to look for internships. I'm finding it rather difficult since I feel like I'm running into the "you must have experience to gain experience" loop. It also seems like everyone around is CS major so there's a lot of competition.

Do you guys have anything to say about internships for college students? Tips on getting them, how important they are, etc?

9. notyou

notyou Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, assuming you're going to a good college/university, there should be a co-op/internship program run by them. From there you still have to fight for jobs against everyone else, but this way the companies come to you so chances of finding something/anything to start out are pretty good; especially since they should know that most students won't have experience.

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    The CS quality depends on how your university implements a "CS degree". There are those universities that center it around programming and youll be working the code mill and those that center it around actual computer science. Those are the degrees that get you past being a code monkey churning out simple algorithms.

Remember folks programming is just one of the may tools of a computer scientists and does NOT define the field.

Oh and at my school most students who went pure CS didnt make it out of the first year. Something that typically doesnt happen at programming central "CS" degree schools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.