Computer Novice-Light Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by saintsdaaints, Jan 26, 2020.

1. saintsdaaints

saintsdaaints Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey y’all, new here, and a novice buying my first laptop on my own. I was issued my previous ones and never learned or understood specs. So please forgive me if what I’m asking for is unreasonable or out of my price range. I just need a little help researching on my own and finding the right laptop. Thank y’all so much!

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1,000-$1,500. If it’s absolutely amazing, I’ll go up to $1,700. Less is always better

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    Would definitely like 17”+ more, but don’t can do 15.5” for budget reasons. I move a lot, but once I get somewhere, I tend to not move the laptop much.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? I do not have enough experience to tell. I enjoyed my previous Lenovo.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Only redistributed that is still brand new and perfectly in the box.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Work, light gaming, watching live sports (a good picture that can handle a football being thrown in the air without the ball disappearing is a must for me), movies

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I move and travel a lot, but once I get somewhere, I tend to set up shop for a while and not move the laptop much.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?). Yes. I usually think of older MMOs that I get a craving to play every now and then like WOW and SWTOR (if it still is playing. I have no idea.) If something new, MMO or not, comes around, then yes, I’d love to play it. I don’t need to be able to run it on the highest settings, though. I say that because I bet I will play more PC games in the future. Unfortunately, my video game interests are quite random and nostalgic.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? I will usually have my charger around. Doesn’t mean it isn’t irritating to always have it plugged in. More is better. Preferably longer than 4 hours (a long plane ride without a charger).

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I expect to buy it online.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? I’ll take 1080p. But more is better

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? I need to look more into this. I will use the laptop at night mostly, and love vivid colors and sharp contrasts. Still, I loathe glare when I play games or watch sports during the day. I need to determine the best trade-off.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? I only care that it’s not an eyesore. Backlit keyboard is a nice feature at night, though.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? No idea. But I can always buy external space or cloud space.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? As soon as possible (early 2020).

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? Most important metric! I want to use this reliably as long as I absolutely can. I will use it until it is no longer financially responsible to repair it or it can no longer reliably function.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? A long time at the moment (going months without one now), but I expect to use (and depend on) my laptop more in the future for work. My best guess for the future is one month max.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? I’m ok with shipping it

More Info

I don’t know much about laptops. I know what good, reliable performance is, but the specs required to get that confuse me. I would like an HDMI out port in case of using an external monitor or to project to a TV/projector. Also, I will not consider a laptop without a number pad on the keyboard. Good speakers and a backlit keyboard are things I enjoy as well and would want. I need at least 2 USB connections. More is better for those as well.