Compromises with thin laptop design

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by techtonic, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeep

Yeep Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How bout of shape are people these days? Also, why in the world would you have 60lbs of books? Plan better.

A two mile walk witha llittle weight is nothing, if you can't handle that, then I suggest a diet.

That being said, if you know you have that ccommute on a daily basis, shopping for a gaming laptop is ignorant. Get a netbook and build a desktop when/if finances allow.

2. Bog

Bog Losing it...

Reputations:
    In my comparison of ThinkPad design I was referring to the differences between IBM and Lenovo ThinkPads.

To clarify, the TrackPoint buttons have been removed, leaving just the joystick:
    ThinkPad T440 Ultrabook Laptop | Lenovo | Lenovo (US)

3. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    I carry my notebook since 8am to 11:30pm when I arrive home. I don't own a car nor will own a car in such a city, commute is done by subway and in the end I walk daily according to my iPod 10-15km

Im not really passionate about thin, actually I can't care less, but the size and the weight are the factors that will make my back hurt at the end of the day, given that people don't only carry the notebook, they carry a lot of other stuff as well.

but being thin and light are by logic not mutually exclusive

4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think that sums it up very good poor management and poor business know how and poor consumer teaching leads to a downward company trend. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out if you want to succeed you need to know your base and interact with them not think you know what is best for them. And business that can do that will succeed take ahem... Apple....Jobs.....they came at the same time as IBM and guess what....they are still around evolving and growing and stocks are higher then ever and you claim I am simplifying the situation? You didn't look hard enough to find a example of a company that started in 80's and look where they are know. They are bullish but they got the following now.

5. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Be honest, Apple has been going downhill since Jobs passed away.

6. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    You most certainly are oversimplifying the situation. IBM was there long before the 80's and that was a part of the problem, but not the way you see it. I would strongly suggest that you talk to people who worked for Big Blue when the business was at its peak which is when IBM started downsizing, laying people off and selling divisions...long before 2005.

I wasn't talking about other companies at all, was I?

7. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    be honest nothing is pointing it out

8. Wizbeer

Wizbeer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would have to say, that with the new thin and light gaming rigs coming out I am exited. I have been hauling around my m17x r4 for a while and I am ready for something lighter but that can still play LOL and run my 3d software. They might not be as powerful as my m17x but they still do the job..

9. StormJumper

Reputations:
    Downhill but yes but any other company with higher stock or equal to Apple...IBM is not one of them....

10. StormJumper

Reputations:
    This was called making money for CEO and shareholders.....bad management....as the employees they fired to give themselves bonus for keeping money for themselves...still true now as it was back then.....

There is no difference either you got it or you failed badly at management.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.