Compromises with thin laptop design

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by techtonic, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Maybe they are just unhappy because it is too big to fit in their purse. ;)

2. Yeep

Yeep Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just get a tablet, it'll fit perfect in that super cute clutch.

:/

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    But, you can't chop wood with it...

<iframe width='640' height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5zey8567bcg?rel=0" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  4. Yeep

Yeep Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And it can't blend or do barrel rolls.

5. Bog

Bog Losing it...

Reputations:
    Lenovo is a Chinese manufacturer that produced ThinkPad components for IBM before buying the entire ThinkPad brand. I'm not sure why IBM sold ThinkPad (it may be because IBM wanted to leave the personal computer business), but there is a strong consensus whenever I meet ThinkPad enthusiasts that the quality and design of the brand became compromised when Lenovo took over and started the consumerization of ThinkPad. The IBM ThinkPad was a premium brand during its time with a legendary reputation among consumers. IBM ThinkPads were all designed by a Japanese team within IBM and manufactured largely in Japan. The T model had features and a quality that other brands simply didn't have, such as the ThinkPad TrackPoint, modular SATA bays, superior connectivity, a rigid magnesium alloy roll-cage, and of course the unmatched keyboard. These were laptops built to run for many years, and that was done with a modular, durable, reliable, and practical design that didn't have the compromised integration of today's laptops. Today, Lenovo has introduced lower-quality keyboards, removed the TrackPoint, and generally made a mess of the ThinkPad brand.

Thaenatos likes this.
  6. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My laptop is both small and heavy! :D

I prefer the T430 to the T410's keyboard. Personal preferences.

Name me one Thinkpad that does not have a Trackpoint. Exactly. None.

Unless you are referring to the Ideapad line, which is *not* affiliated with IBM.

View attachment 103897

Sorry.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    If you have to walk 2-3 miles over college campus, along with 50-60 pound textbooks, any extra weight adds up. Now if you are biking, or driving, there is no excuse. Don't get me wrong, I love my Alienware, despite the weight, but I don't move it around that often, and I bought a great Swissgear 17" bag.

tijo likes this.
  8. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    This, there are reasons to want thin an light:
    • You are moving around often and always carrying the laptop with you, we're talking very often
    • You have a lot of other stuff to carry
    • You don't need the performance and favor the portability

Equally good arguments can be made for larger laptops too. I won't go in details since they've already been made.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    What on Earth were you studying to be dragging around that amount of textbooks on a daily basis?

10. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    When I was studying chemical engineering as an undergrad, I sometimes had to carry 4 to 5 textbooks a day, we're talking large hard cover textbooks. 4 or 5 was rare, 2 or 3 wasn't. That didn't prevent me from carrying 6 pounds of laptop, but still if I could have had a system like the Precision M3800 back then...

Now is another matter, I basically carry my notebook from home to my Office where all my textbooks now rest, except one I may bring back home once in a while, so having something larger no issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.