Comprehensive MSi unlocked BIOS with XMP support thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Xonar, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bar-code

bar-code Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Xonar, or anyone else

Why is my 16f2 barebone bios different to the one you have attached on the first page?

CPUZ id the bios as E16F2IG6 V3.00 by American Megatrends Inc. date Mar 11

Some guy in Headoffice MSI USA sent me two files E16F2IG6.30O & 16F2EG61.422.

One is for the bios the other for the ECI/U.

Is it safe to flash your barebone version by MSI as im finding this AMI is too hard to locate to update in future.
    I've attached the file in case anyones interested
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JU2DV8VS

And then we you go to this webpage

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT680.html#/?div=BIOS

it's clearly a AMI bios but with the name E16F2IMS, again different to your original first page post.
    How confusing is this lol !

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    So you have two files, both version 3.00.

One is unlocked the other isn't. I am failing to see the difference other than that....

3. bar-code

Reputations:
    Yes i have two files but they are not from here that Xonar has posted as unlocked or originals. (which are E16F21MT.)

MSI USA sent me the above attached files named
    BIOS = E16F2IG6.30O
    EC = 16F2EG61.422

My question is, why is there so many different Bios files named differently.

MSI clearly mark dont flash non msi to barebones and now im seeing barebone lappy's with different bios names which is getting very confusing for all.

The only thing i can think of is even tho they are the same 16f2 barebone they must be using/running different motherboards

There should only be Barebone ones and original MSI ones.

What's the difference between Xonar 16f2 barebone one (E16F21MT) and my 16f2 barebone one (E16F2IG6) apart from the names.

Anyway thanks for your help, i totally give up on this issue, and will stick to the old saying "if it's not broken just leave it".

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well each vendor customises the logo. They will have the option to change certain settings too.

5. Xonar

Xonar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You may have to reset the CMOS battery for a couple minutes and let the BIOS settings reset. Looks like your BIOS is rejecting some default settings immediately -- this is most likely your case. Don't panic, it's an easy fix. Open up your notebook, look for the CMOS battery and unplug the cable going to it for a couple min. Make sure your main battery is out of the notebook at the same time too.

Otherwise, the BIOS recovery through USB has been confirmed to work.

@ Bar-Code:

All four BIOS are the same structure internally, which is nice, except MSi likes to make it overly complicated and each notebook needs its specific image (I believe, or else you'll get an error "BIOS image not detected" or something like that)

Barebone BIOS are released to resellers first where they change the splash screen and then they directly give you updates (only if you ask).
    Retail (Colorful box art) notebooks are updated via MSi directly on their website.

CPUZ says mine is 6/27/2011 if you were curious.

6. bar-code

Reputations:
    Thanks for that detailed explaination, which makes sense.
    Yes i did the update last night to the v3.30o and it also states 06/27/2011.

After seeing MSI just released another bios update dated 06 Oct 2011. I asked the MSI guy in USA again last night if any updates have been released for the barebones 16f2 he sent me another version which was just released marked v3.30P date Oct 11. (not sure what changes have taken place tho)

7. bar-code

Reputations:
    God! im going to kill that guy from MSI USA flashed to the latest bios again and bammm black screen turn on and then off again and thats it.

Could someone please tell me what are the keys to press to start recovery.
    i tried the xonar cnl+fn+homepagedown key = nothing.

The computer will not
    access the usb drive and only uses the CD drive. Is there a way around
    this?

i have tried a bios recovery CD in the cd rom drive at startup, but its not working as the system resets just about every 3 seconds and doesn't have time to read the disc

Any help here would be appreciated please. (using the 16f2 barebone)

8. istojanovic

istojanovic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are the MAN !!
    Thank you for your help, was to open the computer, disconnect the cables was next to the fans , wait 2 minutes and BINGO:)
    It did not take or restore the BIOS via flash drive.
    Thank you very much again

9. Xonar

Xonar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Home key is PgUp key on keyboard. It really sounds like you just have to reset the CMOS if you're getting 3 second reboots. Very common symptom.

10. bar-code

Reputations:
    nope completly dead! so a replacement has been sent to me MSI GT780DXR i7 Barebones which i can live with :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.