1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Comprehensive MSi unlocked BIOS with XMP support thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Xonar, Oct 9, 2011.

1. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

If this helps:

I had Official MSI 1761_30E bios installed when I updated the EC to .419 several days ago.

Yesterday I successfully updated to Official MSI 1761_30H bios.

I could go back to 1761_10E,1761_30E or 1761_10H at any time.

2. sparker

sparker Notebook Geek

I see the readme with that zip file, looks good. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

3. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Notebook Consultant

@sparker You can still use the old bios with the new EC firmware. There is a readme file in the new uploaded files.

@whatsthepoint i used to use the site but with the likes of megaupload etc going down and other filesharing sites only allowing the user that uploaded the files to download them i stuck to the two i knew that was still working but feel free to mirror if you wish.

4. hacktrix2006

@sparker good luck All should be fine as i did the unlocking on 3.05 with a little help from xonar with a few missing options!

5. sparker

sparker Notebook Geek

The new splash screen is great, but I am still curious about the EC. Why is it version 4.22? The old version number was 4.23.

So far so good! Thanks hack

6. hacktrix2006

@sparker, thanks remember to hit the REP icon on me a Xonar.

You don't have to update the EC if you don't want to. the EC controls things like the fan ETC if you have 4.23 stick to it.

I try to supply both the Bios firmware with EC firmware and as MSI sent me them files i thought i'd be kind and pass them on.

Thank Xonars profile for the MSI logo LOL.

7. sparker

sparker Notebook Geek

I must spread some rep around before I can do it again. I went ahead and used the 4.22 EC because I thought they might be made to work together. Seems to be running pretty good. Thanks again.

8. hacktrix2006

Not a problem. If you get ACPI BSOD with 0x00000a5 just reset the bios to defaults and start again with setting the bios. Thats really the only issue i had. Also be carefull with the settings as well.

9. 5482741

5482741 5482741

The BIOS works fine for me.

No luck with the Turbo Ratios though.

10. hacktrix2006

@5482741 Glad the bios is working for you. Was hoping for the ratio's to work but oh well we can't have everything. Unless its for unlocked Xtreme i7 mobile chips it am not sure.

11. mechrock

mechrock Notebook Evangelist

Just played 20 minutes of BF3. Usually staying around 40fps (30-60)
    OCed to 700mhz. CPU only got to 75c and gpu only got to 81c.

12. 5482741

5482741 5482741

My CPU should be extreme/unlocked.

Perhaps it's still bit[63] on MSR 0x610 that UncleWebb has said keeps the multipliers locked.

13. hacktrix2006

One thing i can say is Fan trip points now work on this Unlocked bios as my fan is going 100% without the EC Fan inject trick. Its so great that the CPU is on 3.1GHZ like 60% of the time!!!

@machrock So without your cooling methord by software have you also noticed that the Fnas kick up big time when using trip settings in bios. Is performance the same or better for you.

@5482741 Just noticed that was the case. So haven't a clue why its not working Might redo the files yet and remove them bits if they are no good.

14. mechrock

mechrock Notebook Evangelist

I haven't installed the latest BIOS.

I really do hope it improves performance.

15. 5482741

5482741 5482741

Yeh, it seems like there are a couple of lock bits at work here:

16. James5

James5 Notebook Consultant

I am now running the GT780DXR 1761_30h bios unlocked,if anyone interested I will upload to rapidshare this eve. Follow xonar's install instructions on the 1st page of this thread to flash your bios.

17. pau1ow

pau1ow Notebook Deity

miam miam interesting..

18. hacktrix2006

@5482741 will have a look at bios again for MSR 63 and see what i can do.

19. hacktrix2006

Right using RW-Everything looking under MSR the CPU Speed shows in there as N/A all the way through will need to some how find the multiplier part

20. 5482741

5482741 5482741

I found this, but none of the bits mentioned sound like they have to do with the multiplier.

POWER AND THERMAL MANAGEMENT

[​IMG]
    Figure 14-17. MSR_PKG_POWER_LIMIT Register

MSR_PKG_POWER_LIMIT allows a software agent to define power limitation for the package domain.
    Power limitation is defined in terms of average power usage (Watts) over a time window specified in
    MSR_PKG_POWER_LIMIT. Two power limits can be specified, corresponding to time windows of different
    sizes. Each power limit provides independent clamping control that would permit the processor cores to
    go below OS-requested state to meet the powe r limits. A lock mechanism allow the soft-ware agent to
    enforce power limit settings. Once the lock bit is set, the power limit settings are static and
    un-modifiable until next RESET.

The bit fields of MSR_PKG_POWER_LIMIT (Figure 14-17) are:
    • Package Power Limit #1(bits 14:0): Sets the average power usage limit of the package domain
    corresponding to time window # 1. The unit of this field is specified by the “Power Units” field of
    MSR_RAPL_POWER_UNIT.
    • Enable Power Limit #1(bit 15): 0 = disabled; 1 = enabled.
    • Package Clamping Limitation #1 (bits 16): Allow going below OS-requested P/T state setting during
    time window specified by bits 23:17.
    • Time Window for Power Limit #1 (bits 23:17): Indicates the length of time window over which the power
    limit #1 The numeric value encoded by bits 23:17 is represented by the product of 2^Y *F; where F is a
    single-digit decimal floating-point value between 1.0 and 1.3 with the fraction digit represented by bits
    23:22, Y is an unsigned integer represented by bits 21:17. The unit of this field is specified by the “Time Units”
    field of MSR_RAPL_POWER_UNIT.
    • Package Power Limit #2(bits 46:32): Sets the average power usage limit of the package domain
    corresponding to time window # 2. The unit of this field is specified by the “Power Units” field of
    MSR_RAPL_POWER_UNIT.
    • Enable Power Limit #2(bit 47): 0 = disabled; 1 = enabled.
    • Package Clamping Limitation #2 (bits 48): Allow going below OS-requested P/T state setting during time
    window specified by bits 23:17.
    • Time Window for Power Limit #2 (bits 55:49): Indicates the length of time
    window over which the power limit #2 The numeric value encoded by bits 23:17
    is represented by the product of 2^Y *F; where F is a single-digit decimal
    floating-point value between 1.0 and 1.3 with the fraction digit represented by
    bits 23:22, Y is an unsigned integer represented by bits 21:17. The unit of this
    field is specified by the “Time Units” fi eld of MSR_RAPL_POWER_UNIT. This field
    may have a hard-coded value in hardware and ignores values written by
    software.
    • Lock (bits 63): If set, all write attempts to this MSR are ignored until next RESET.

capitankasar likes this.