1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Complete Novice Laptop Buyer Here...

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by skjnoble, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skjnoble

skjnoble Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? up to $2,000.00

2) What size notebook would you prefer? Around 15, I think

a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
    b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? None, yet

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook? All for home and personal use. Biggest used will be for photos and home movie making.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk? Traveling with it less than 5 times a year.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games? I don't think so

8) How many hours of battery life do you need? At least to get through 1 or 2 DVD movies

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person? No

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc. I think we would prefer Windows Vista

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen? I don't think it matters

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

Standard
    a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.
    b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.This one
    c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?It doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?No

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?A long time.

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?Lots of hard drive space

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?CD and DVD Burner

Thank you for your valuable time.

2. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    i would suggest MBP if you agree to go with OS X,its really great for multimedia/photo/video staff and has a great screen+bootcamp for windows programs,if not dell xps 1530 is a good choice,and sony fz series!

3. Prasad

Prasad NBR Reviewer 1337

Reputations:
    Or Lenovo T61p :)

4. skjnoble

skjnoble Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay...you'll really find out just how Novice I really am, but what is MBP?

5. The General

The General Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't think an MBP would be best for someone who doesn't care about styling and prefers Windows Vista.

Considering that you're not planning on playing games, I would recommend a Dell Latitude D830 for it's build quality. If you wanted something flashier i would suggest a Dell XPS 1530.

MacBook Pro

6. vro8j

vro8j Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    other than the battery not lasting that long sony vaio fz470 or similar

7. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    thats why i sad "if you if you agree to go with OS X",btw have you ever used apple in your life?

8. The General

Reputations:
    Yes, which is why I pointed out that he had said he wanted Windows.

Yes I have used an apple, though I have never owned one; I found it to be nice machine (lovely piece of eye-candy) but of no more practical use than a pc. Before you start with any accusations, I have nothing particularly against Apple, but it doesn't suit all situations.

9. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    when u get used to it its a great machine.PERIOD.i recommend it because its great for multimedia.PERIOD.let me clear this-I AM NOT CREAZY APPLE FANBOY.and if you noticed i also offered 2 other great laptops,tho apple from outlet will cost less then both...

10. vro8j

Reputations:
    since you asked MBP = mac book pro

11. vro8j

Reputations:
    sorry...already answered by the general...sorry

12. skjnoble

skjnoble Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello and thank you so much for all of this advice! I really appreciate it. In continuing my research, I noticed that MBP and Sony Vaio have refurbished laptops on their websites....some of them considerably cheaper than the full price. Is there any reason that I should or should not purchase a refurbished laptop? Any particular pitfalls in doing so? Thanks so much....and not that it matters much, but I'm a she. I noticed that someone in an earlier post thought that I was male, but alas...I'm not. :) Thank you to all of you who have offered their expertise. I am taking it to heart. :)

Kim (the girl)

13. vro8j

Reputations:
    That's a matter of preference more than anything. There is no guarantee that a new laptop is perfect either, a refurbished one, depending on how good a job the manufacturer does of refurbishing it, can be as good as new or there could be a problem, that led to it being returned in the 1st place that they don't find and it's a headache for you too. It depends on the warranty and return policy and how much you are willing to roll the dice.

14. The General

Reputations:
    I agree, it is a great machine; it is just not the best machine for this purpose IMHO, I merely pointed out that fact. For someone who is not a fanboy, you seem to get awefully offended by my suggestion of Dell.

The only problem with refurbished laptops that I can see is potential quality issues from the previous owner, having not bought one I cannot give any first hand experience. Sorry about the gender mix-up, I will remember that from now on.

15. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    with apple,there are ~0 differences between new and ref. one,i m not sure for sony,but i ve heard that they have scratches...

16. skjnoble

skjnoble Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ha! No problem... really!! I just appreciate your willingness to help.

17. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    if you havent noticed,i ve recommended DELL after Apple!so read carefully...

18. The General

Reputations:
    No problem, glad to help.

Then why are you complaining that I also reccomended.

19. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    bc i m not offended!ok,i ve an offer!

lets pass this apple/dell stupid fight and be friends again! :)

20. The General

Reputations:
    Suits me :D. I would offer to shake on it, if this wasn't over the internet :p