Comparing 9750H vs i7 U series for use on battery

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by CocoLoco, Jan 1, 2020.

1. CocoLoco

CocoLoco Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I mostly use laptop for writing and compiling code on battery. In the fall, I got an Aero 17 and have been really disappointed with power on battery, throttling, etc. Makes me wonder if an H series has any speed advantages at all on battery over U series i7s -- given how much they are throttled.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Ever see any comparisons?

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Assuming proper cooling (which is not an assumption to make these days), an H-series chip will have a massive performance advantage over a U-series for tasks that require lots of CPU power, like rendering/encoding, as the clockspeeds won't fall off as drastically in the long run. My experience is that the U-series chips will throttle down to their base clock speeds in long-running tasks, while the H-series chips should stay closer to their maximum Turbo Boost clocks.

Did you repaste your notebook? Also undervolt it with ThrottleStop. You can get a lot more performance out of your notebook doing both. Undervolting can especially help with battery life and will reduce heat.

Charles

3. CocoLoco

CocoLoco Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The problem is not cooling. Problem is laptop makers throttling H CPUs on battery irrespective of temperature.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020