1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Compaq X6000

Discussion in 'HP & Compaq' started by iishort86, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowlofjokes

bowlofjokes Notebook Guru

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by gauntlet4342
    [br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bowlofjokes
    [br]Who has gone for the WSXGA screen? Seems like a cheap upgrade. I would think it would be a better choice for viewing pics and games. Am I wrong?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I have it. Honestly, I didn't remember ordering it, thought I just got the middle range LCD. Very pleasant suprise when I first booted up and saw the resolution. It is perfect for this laptop. Every thing is crystal clear, runs smoothly and the higher res. is amazing on this laptop. I play WoW windowed at 1280x900? (what ever the wide windowed view is for it) and have a messaging client running. The extra real estate is very nice.

Laptop: Compaq x6000, 3.0ghz, WSXGA+, 512mb, Ati x600 256, 60gig 7200, WiFi+Bluetooth

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I like to hear that

2. uknowme

uknowme Notebook Enthusiast

Does anyone have any video clips of actual screen shots during gaming?? Just kind of curious to see it in action. As soon as I get my system I will make a clip but thats not going to be for at least three more weeks...

________
    Compaq X6000 (Ship date 3/14)
    - P4 3.2Ghz w/HT
    - 2 gigs Kingston PC4200 533mhz DDR2 SODIMM
    - 17" WSXGA+ brightview widescreen (1680x1050)
    - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    - DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
    - 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600
    - 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
    - Windows XP Pro

3. Shadowzone

Shadowzone Notebook Consultant

Woot, ordered mine on the 14th with a ship date of the 28th. Now it says it shipped on the 26th with an estimated delivery date of March 4th by 10:30am. Guess I'm going to be calling in sick on Friday. [:D]

It's been sitting in China for the last two days tho at the Fed Ex Facility.
    Now all I have to do is goto Sam's Club and buy a Case, Wireless Mouse and a Linksys Wireless G router.

Former Celeron 500mhz user, 192 meg ram, 6 gig hd, 8 meg ati video, hehe

4. Shadowzone

Ok, at least it's out of China now, Fedex says it arrived at SUBIC BAY FREEPORT PH at 1:09am on March 1st, hey, that's tomorrow, they really can tell the future.[:D]

X6000, 3.2 Ghz, 512meg ram, 256 ATI X600 video, 17" Brightview Screen, 60gig 7200rpm Hard Drive, 8X DVD Burner, 54g 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster

Upgrading from a Sager Celeron 500, 192meg ram, 6gig 4200 RPM Hard Drive, 8 meg ATI Rage LT Video Card, 15" Screen, 4X DVD player.

5. Riceman

Riceman Notebook Enthusiast

I think it might be tomorrow over there right now, time zone difference... Mine is at the same place as yours right now.

6. Shadowzone

That will be weird when it hits the US then, it will go back in time to yesterday. [:D]

X6000, 3.2 Ghz, 512meg ram, 256 ATI X600 video, 17" Brightview Screen, 60gig 7200rpm Hard Drive, 8X DVD Burner, 54g 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster

Upgrading from a Sager Celeron 500, 192meg ram, 6gig 4200 RPM Hard Drive, 8 meg ATI Rage LT Video Card, 15" Screen, 4X DVD player.

7. JosephCruz

JosephCruz Notebook Consultant

congrats on getting those x6000's shipped.

I'm so happy for you[^]

Proud X6000 owner

EX Dell I9200 Owner

8. Shadowzone

Thanks, can't wait till it gets here. I'm so bored at work I'm looking at a world atlas to find out where Subic bay is in the Phillipines. Doesn't show it on the map, or Freeport for that matter. But if it arrived at 1:09am tomorrow in the PH, then it should fly out that day. Assuming it goes out by noon time their time and flies into the US in Cali, won't it leave on March 1st and Arrive in CA on Feb 28th? [:D]

9. timak

timak Notebook Consultant

I have to say I am dissapointed in the gaming performance of my x6000 I got it with the 256 x600, 3.2 Gig processor, 1 gig of memory and the 7200 RPM drive. My desktop with a radeon 9600 can run Call of Duty at a higher resolution and more settings on....

Anybody know if the mobility x800 will be swapable in these notbooks?

10. sandyshorts

sandyshorts Notebook Enthusiast

Mine is on the same place, I was about to head down to the store to cancel the order. Still tempted to and get on the wait for the xps 2. Its a 700 difference for me though. Getting very conflicted now, since I intend to use mine for development with work and lots of gaming when i got nothning to do ;)

Anyone playing HL2 or WoW with theirs? Hows it run?

11. Contaminated

Contaminated Notebook Enthusiast

Mine is at SUBIC BAY FREEPORT PH also. An HP CSR told me that they fly into Alaska, then they are shipped from there.

X6000 - P4 3.0, 1GB 533, 256MB x600, 60GB 7200, 17" Brightview, DVD burner, Wireless

12. Shadowzone

Well, a desktops graphic card is always gonna beat a laptops graphic card.. As far as I know the only mobile graphics card that can really stand up to some of the best desktop graphics cards is the Nvidia 6800 Ultra mobile graphics card. And you'll pay out the nose to get a laptop with that one it in right now. About 1000 bucks more for the same specs as the one you have now actually.

I could be wrong but from what I've read that's about it.

Oh, almost forgot, someone said that there are some Omega Drivers for the ATI card that are suppose to boost performance. Not sure what they are or where you get them.

13. Shadowzone

It says they just left Subic Bay now. I still say that they will get here Yesterday tho since they shipped tomorrow, hehe [:D]

14. JosephCruz

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by timak
    [br]I have to say I am dissapointed in the gaming performance of my x6000 I got it with the 256 x600, 3.2 Gig processor, 1 gig of memory and the 7200 RPM drive. My desktop with a radeon 9600 can run Call of Duty at a higher resolution and more settings on....

Anybody know if the mobility x800 will be swapable in these notbooks?

I left a link out for the comparison specs between all ATI cards rather they are mobile or not. Look for that thread if you want the exact numbers. Desktops are going to beat laptops with performance for video, you way want to increase the memory or put pc2 4200 ram instead of the stock to get rid of some latency. Tacjam posted a better memory deal for performance as opposed to stock. Basically the 9600 renders more textures, but the x600 has more throughput. I don't remeber seeing anything about being able to swap the GPU out, I think its fully integrated to the mainboard, but I'm not sure, you could open it up and take a gander. I hope this helps you out.

Proud X6000 owner

EX Dell I9200 Owner

15. team79

team79 Notebook Guru

I've also heard that FedEX Files from Subic Bay to Alaska and
    then IN. at least for deliveries in Colorado, was hoping in might
    go to LA or San Diego, and then on to Denver.

16. team79

team79 Notebook Guru

Just FYI

The Time Difference between MST and China is +15 Hours.

17. JosephCruz

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by team79
    [br]I've also heard that FedEX Files from Subic Bay to Alaska and
    then IN. at least for deliveries in Colorado, was hoping in might
    go to LA or San Diego, and then on to Denver.

To give everyone a better idea. Mine left china on a friday was in the states by tuesday (IN) then was delivered to LA early wednesday morning like 2am. Then it went to ontario and was at my house wednesday by 10:30am. I should tell you that Ontario is real close to where I live so that could be why I got it so soon. But it took 4 days to ship it altogether so I can't complain.

Plus when I got it there wasn't any damage or missing stuff. I do have two dead pixes that I have seen but they aren't very noticable. I will replace the screen when I get around to it, since I bought the better warranty.

I would strongly suggest buying a portable cooler before you get the notebook. It gets a little hot, especially if your gaming.

Proud X6000 owner

EX Dell I9200 Owner

18. Monk2

Monk2 Notebook Enthusiast

I recently ordered the X6000 and I was wondering if anyone plays any multi-player online games with theirs. I am a huge Battlefield Vietnam junky and I was wondering how smooth the online play was with the X6000. Ie.. any lag or slow booting up maps etc...

By the way the specs on mine are:

- Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 540 w/HT Technology, 3.2GHz
    - 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing (1680x1050)
    - 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 400MHz (I plan on upgrading to 2gb when I get the dough)
    - 8X DVD +/- RW/R & CD-RW Combo
    - 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth

19. Katkall

Katkall Notebook Enthusiast

ok i placed my order for a dell 5160 then scanned the internet and canceled the order the next day (because of the heat issues). Now i have placed my order for this compaq deally and come accross this site. This will be my first laptop and i want the experience to be a positive one.

As you see i didnt go with the brite view will i regret that decision?? I have days at work that are misereably boring and if i can get this baby up to my desk wohoo.. I hope to play morrowind and hopefully any other new mmorpg's that come out like it. So speed is really not a huge issue i just need good graphix and hopefully longevity. Thus my two part question

1) will i regret my decision to go without briteview??
    2) Which is the best cooler to use with this laptop?
    $1486
    - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 520 w/HT Technology, 2.8GHz
    - 17.0" WXGA+ Wide Viewing (1440x900)
    - 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 400MHz (2x512MB)
    - DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    - Integrated 56K Modem + 10/100 Ethernet LAN

20. JosephCruz

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Katkall
    [br]ok i placed my order for a dell 5160 then scanned the internet and canceled the order the next day (because of the heat issues). Now i have placed my order for this compaq deally and come accross this site. This will be my first laptop and i want the experience to be a positive one.

As you see i didnt go with the brite view will i regret that decision?? I have days at work that are misereably boring and if i can get this baby up to my desk wohoo.. I hope to play morrowind and hopefully any other new mmorpg's that come out like it. So speed is really not a huge issue i just need good graphix and hopefully longevity. Thus my two part question

1) will i regret my decision to go without briteview??
    2) Which is the best cooler to use with this laptop?
    $1486
    - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 520 w/HT Technology, 2.8GHz
    - 17.0" WXGA+ Wide Viewing (1440x900)
    - 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 400MHz (2x512MB)
    - DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    - Integrated 56K Modem + 10/100 Ethernet LAN

I don't believe you made a bad decision with this laptop. Congrats on cancelling the dell. To answer your brightview question, I have been able to see the brightview and regular screens side by side. Since you are a gamer, in my opinion the non brigtivew was a bad choice. Screen is important to you since your a gamer. The regular screen isn't bad but dimmer. Brightview hence the name is much brighter, making the colors look more vibrant and alive on the screen.

I would definately go with brightview, infact i got the highend brightview screen. I love it. I had a dell I9200 for a week and returned it the screen was very dim among other things.

Unfortunately battery life your looking about 1hr 30mins. Thats non gaming. I haven't yet put my x6000 to the gaming test. So I couldn't tell you how long it will last. If you want to compare different videocards, look for a post I made earlier on. I left a link to a site that gives you the specs and compares all ATI cards, including the mobiles. That should give you a better idea of the performance. I hope this helps ya out.

Proud X6000 owner

EX Dell I9200 Owner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.