Compaq Presario wireless adapter problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by heshanj, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heshanj

heshanj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hi guys...
    one of my friends has a compaq presario v3000 and its internal wireless card has apparently disappeared! suddenly, she got a blue screen error, and after that, the wireless connection is not available on the network connections page, the wireless adapter doesnt show in device manager...i found it very strange..
    then i found a help article on the HP wireless assistant page that said the wireless adapter could be disabled in Computer setup (BIOS) and that if it was disabled in BIOS, i would not be able to turn it on or off once i have logged in..which sounds a lot like my problem..however, i just cant seem to access anything in this computer's BIOS that will allow me to enable this wireless adapter.. all i see is Main (which lets me change date and time only), security, system config (language, boot order), and diagnostics (hardware self test)...
    its phoenix bios...i opened the internal wireless card n pulled it out n plugged it back in securely too...its way past warranty period so thats not an option..please help!

2. makaveli72

makaveli72 Eat.My.Shorts

Reputations:
    AFAIK you should see the option to enable the Wireless Card in the BIOS.

3. Shyster1

Shyster1 Lazy as the Day is Long

Reputations:
    That does not sound like a BIOS problem, that sounds like a bad driver problem. Try uninstalling the wireless driver, and then under the control panel, force the system to check for new hardware; it should find the wireless card as "new" hardware, and then install the standard Win drivers for it.

4. heshanj

heshanj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well, its just not there...strange, i guess..i too expected to see something related to the wireless card..but no, nothing :(

how do i uninstall the driver? device manager doesnt even detect the wireless card so i cant remove the driver from there...i tried downloading the driver and installing it anyway, from the compaq site...but no go

5. andyasselin

andyasselin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. makaveli72

makaveli72 Eat.My.Shorts

Reputations:
    You positive you can't navigate to another section of the BIOS by using the arrow keys? I am baffled that you don't see a Network Adapter setting. Nevertheless, I guess the Wireless Card has died...you may need to contact HP, and hear what they recommend. Hopefully you can buy a replacement wireless card from them or something.

7. Shyster1

Shyster1 Lazy as the Day is Long

Reputations:
    Try this, download an iso of a linux LiveCD, burn it to a CD, and then boot with that and see if you can find your wireless card using linux. If linux can find the card and use it, then the problem isn't hardware-related but OS-related.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.