1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Compaq Presario C700 Upgrades And Facts!

Discussion in 'HP Compaq Presario, G-series and Mini Notebooks' started by drmega0226, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. blindside1234

blindside1234 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is a processor upgrade necessary? The processor in it is ok right? If a cpu upgrade is in order then which one is the best for the money? Or which cpu would be a little better for a respectable amount of money? I appreciate the advice.

3. ziddey

Reputations:
    Which cpu do you have? The pentium dc t2370, if that's what you have, is a great cpu. It only really differs from higher end core2duo's in that it only has 1MB of l2 cache, vs 2mb, 3mb, 4mb, or 6mb. But the performance penalty isn't all too great at all. Are you asking just because you want to upgrade or because you feel the cpu is weak for what you do? How much ram do you have? If you're only running around with 1gb, then you'll see worldly gains going to 1.5gb or even better, 2gb.

4. tmoney777

tmoney777 Newbie

Reputations:
    I know somebody said you can't upgrade the wireless card on page 2 but can somebody confirm that. I would like to upgrade to a draft-n.

Also, I have a C762nr and when I upgraded to 2GB from 1GB I saw a significant jump in response in Vista.

5. kyameron

kyameron Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I have a question concerning CPU processor upgrade compatibility for a Compaq Presario C714NR. Currently I have the Pentium Dual Core T2310@1.46GHz installed which is the processor that the laptop was boxed with. It's a socket P processor, by the way.
    I went on Wikipedia and saw that the T2000 dual core series supports up to 1.86 GHz (T2390) and has the same voltage, socket, etc. as my current processor.
    However, I went to my local Best Buy and the Geek Squad associate wasn't sure if my processor was upgradeable and he said that I ran the risk of frying my motherboard if I installed the new processor. Although he didn't check to be sure what was compatible or not.
    So my question is, does anyone here know fairly certainly whether or not it would be safe to upgrade my processor? And if so, what are my options as far as new processors go? As in, am I limited to the Pentium Dual Core T2000 series?

6. ziddey

Reputations:
    You can use any socket p processor barring the new 266fsb ones. with the newer bioses, you can even use penryn 200fsb ones.

7. kyameron

kyameron Newbie

Reputations:
    Sweet. Thanks for the fast response.

8. ziddey

Reputations:
    thanks for the fast reresponse :) and good luck! ebay may have some cheap(edit)* ones.

9. completing

completing Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone want to trade your Broadcom Wireless with my Atheros 5007 Wireless Card??

Atheros has a better signal reception, but I need Broadcom...

I've finally figured out that C700 is locked to Compaq wireless cards after buying 2 Dell wifi cards from eBay..:eek:

If you're interested, PM me.

10. ivanmmj

ivanmmj Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm going to assume that opening the laptop (to either upgrade the CPU OR to check the PLL) will void the warranty?