1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Compaq Presario C700 Upgrades And Facts!

Discussion in 'HP Compaq Presario, G-series and Mini Notebooks' started by drmega0226, Apr 4, 2008.

1. SolRebel

SolRebel Newbie

+1. I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but I'm somewhat intimidated by the possibility of killing my laptop.

2. SolRebel

SolRebel Newbie

Also, could someone please point me in the direction of what kind of HP battery I could stick in this laptop?

3. Blaupunkt89

Blaupunkt89 Newbie

Hello, I'm using Vista Home Premium 64 Edition now, and I have a quesiton, because the processor (Pentium Dual-Core T2370) supports EM64T, does that mean it will use 4GB? or only 3GB?

4. m5james

m5james Notebook Enthusiast

I have a C717NR and as of lastnight downloaded the F.34 BIOS onto my laptop. It said nothing about being able to use additional RAM in the description, but i'd love to be able to run another 1gb, so how can I be certain this BIOS update will allow me to do so?

5. yaye

yaye Newbie

I don't know if you can replace it, but i doubt it would be cooler. It would probably be hotter in fact. It shouldn't be shutting down, are you covering the air vents?

6. ivanmmj

ivanmmj Notebook Guru

Did you by any chance take a look at the PLL while you had the motherboard out?

7. blindside1234

blindside1234 Notebook Enthusiast

And no I could not locate it. I had no idea where to look and no one else on here did.

8. blindside1234

blindside1234 Notebook Enthusiast

9. Blaupunkt89

Blaupunkt89 Newbie

I'm trying to figure out how to update my Intel Video BIOS for Intel GM965 Integrated Video Card on my notebook. I've always been curious about this because I've read it can sometimes increase VRAM and performance. I just recently updated my Video Card to GMA 15.11.4.64.1591 (64-bit) (Nov 2008) for Intel X3100 256MB (I've read places my card supports 384MB but needs a BIOS update from HP or Intel). I downloaded the .zip file the 2nd time and just noticed there are vBIOS updates for 965, g3x, g4x and gm965. Mine is GM965 and my vBIOS is [1533 PC 14.27 8/28/07 09:49:31] according to GPU-Z 0.2.8. Is there a way to update it? A thorough tutorial would be appreciated :)

10. inky

inky Newbie

After a year of faithful service, my C700 has no sound - the hardware cannot be detected. Probably something has broken inside and I'll take it to a shop to get it fixed. Could any fellow posters be kind enough to suggest what I might need to buy? Do i need a sound card? are there any better ones around.
    Any help for this newbie would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

11. Blaupunkt89

Blaupunkt89 Newbie

I got Kingston HyperX DDR2 PC5300 4GB RAM Dual Channel, I installed it, first time it didnt boot but hardware was running. 2nd time, it booted then at Windows bootup screen it shows pixals of colors scrolling on bottem of screen, i ignored that and then on signin I got a section of a square of pixal colors scrolling, i signed in and SAME THING, then I got BSOD! i went into BIOS and it says 4096MB and Video RAM increased from 256MB to 384MB. I don't know what to do :-(.

12. m5james

Why is it that this thread was active, 7-8 pages of great info....now here are some not so well versed people wanting to do the same things but need a little advice, and not a single reply from any of the original posters? What is the point of messageboards is the OP's don't answer questions for us newbies?

13. m5james

Oddly enough DrOmega has been on IM for the past two days now, but hasn't been replying to IM's. I'd still like to know if my computer is capable of being upgraded to 3-4gb's and how this whole Vista-64 upgrade thing works w/ using the stock reg key.

14. GoHack

GoHack Notebook Consultant

Borrow a 64 bit version of your OS, either Basic, Premium, or Ultimate, I believe I've heard that they are all available on the same disk. I had a Premium OEM x64 in my case. Load it as if were your 32 bit version, and use your original 32 bit Key that came w/your system, when the Key is called for. I don't know if the Basic version is upgradeable to the 64 bit, since I've never done it w/that one. You may have to chase down some 64 bit drivers, no different than if you had loaded the 32 bit one.

I've upgraded all my 32 bit Vista Premium systems, three (3) of them, using just one (1) 64 bit OEM Premium disk, and using the original 32 bit keys that came w/the systems.

With the Compaq C751NR I had, which I gave to my sister as a gift, I could only run 3 gb max, if I remember right. I loaded the 64 bit version of Vista Premium on it, using it's original 32 bit Key, and it ran, and still runs fine.

15. cwchan

cwchan Newbie

After sending back my Presario C793TU to service center for 3 times, my overheating problem finally solved. It is due to the poor contact between heatsink and processor. The thermapaste is too thick.

Also, the DVD writer also failed me. Sometime it cannot boot up or die after waking up from sleeping mode. So I paid the service center another visit :mad:

16. drmega0226

drmega0226 Notebook Enthusiast

check it out folks:

-c700 SERIES NOTEBOOKS WILL ONLY SUPPORT 3GB MAX IN 32BIT OR 64 BIT
    -BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN UPGRADING THE PROCESSOR AS IN CWCHAN'S CASE
    THE SYSTEM CAN OVER HEAT, AND RUIN THE BOARD ALL TOGETHER.
    -BIOS UPDATES DO INCREASE VIDEO MEMORT SIZES
    -667MHZ RAM WHICH IS PC5300 IS RECOMMENDED WITH THIS LAPPY

I know i've been gone a while sorry guys, but I'm back and working on a HP G50 & Compaq Cq 50 thread which are the same notebooks actually. Any questions just post em.

17. m5james

Fun little fact for anyone who wants to increase the memory in their 717NR. While I did the BIOS upgrade via the recommendations from this thread, it in fact was not needed. My laptop is now running 3gb and running much quicker than the previous 2gb it had before hand. I'm curious to see if 4gb would work or not :)

I was about to do the BIOS upgrade to my gf's laptop, and just decided to see if it'd work ok w/o the BIOS change first...which it did. She's much happier she can surf MySpace at lightning speed ;)

I got the Kingston 4gb kit (2x2mb sticks) at www.buy.com for $35 shipped.

18. m5james

I have my laptop setup on the max power settings, and it's always hot to the touch and the fan appears to always be on fullspeed. My gf can lay hers (basic settings) on the bed w/o issue...mine will shutoff within a few minutes from being chocked of cool air. I wish it didn't run so hot, but lower the power setting also slows it down, so i'm stuck either way. Overclocking the CPU or upgrading it would melt it for sure!

19. ivanmmj

ivanmmj Notebook Guru

Well, would you want to have to check the same thread over and over again and answer the same questions over and over again for the rest of your life? I know I wouldn't.
    A lot of people may have also moved on to different laptops. It's the way of geekdom. :p

20. m5james

You don't have to come back and keep checking it at all. Once a post is replied on this thread, I automatically get emailed. The original poster who created the thread should expect at least some questions since he originated it, threw out information, facts, etc....the thread isn't that old. He may have moved on, but i'm still an owner, and along w/ many other. The only reason I found this thread is from a simple Google search, and it was the first on the list....so of course I was interested. From my replies though, I was able to speak w/ him over IM and get my questions answered, then I shared my results here. People may not have replied, but if someone else benefitted from what I added, then i'm happy.