Compaq Presario C700 Upgrades And Facts!

Discussion in 'HP' started by drmega0226, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. passivex

passivex Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm dual-booting vista home premium (i have a not for resale copy of ultimate but don't think i need it, yet) and good old xp pro. I'm adding ubuntu 8 and planning to use it with BT2 or 3 (boot via usb or cd). None of the Linux variants support the Broadcom chip in this laptop (version 2 of BCM4318). I went through a lot of pain (ndis wrapper) to get it to work with ubuntu but it's still not very good. I think the best route is to swap the card out with another minipcie card that has good linux support. Since I'm buying a new card anyway, might as well get one that supports packet injection (allows cracking of WEP keys within a few minutes instead of a few hours).

At this point, I'm trying to decide between Intel 3945 ABG (as low as $30) vs. Atheros AR5005GS (about $40 on ebay). Both have listed support from madwifi but I'm looking for something easy but will have as much new features (support abg or abgn or bgn) as possible. I'm sure there's one (or a few out there) as packet injection isn't new anymore.

I have to say I didn't expect this much "fun" out of a $350 laptop. So far I've upgraded the ram to 2GB and HD to 7200rpm 200GB Momentus drive. I'm not looking to replace cpu but I am extremely interested in pinmodding it. However, from what I've read, it's impossible for the T2310 since bumping the FSB will drop the multiplier to a very low multiplier which will negate any benefit.
    So far, this little laptop turned from a toy (unexpected purchase since I was aiming for the Asus eepc) to my main computer (my newly upgraded desktop with 8800GT is getting little or no use at all now).

2. drmega0226

drmega0226 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    you can not change the wifi card in this notebook. i own one. i tried both the atheros and intel cards and it will not boot with them it tells you it is not compatible hardware.. buyer beware before hand.. wanted to let you know

4. lowgra

lowgra Newbie

Reputations:
    Does 3g memory running at 128 of 64 ?

5. Resting One

Resting One Newbie

Reputations:
    drmega,

It takes less than 3 minutes.
    Download Everest Ultimate edition free version.
    Run the program, then click on the motherboard and then the chipset.
    Check the Northbridge.

I'm not griefing you, I'm trying to help.

6. drmega0226

drmega0226 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Resting One if the chipset was GL960 it would not accept 800FSB or DDR2 667 Ram both of which the C714nr accepts.

7. GoHack

GoHack Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have a C751NR, and w/BIOS F.27 it runs w/3 gb of memory w/no problems.

The 1 gb stick has to go on the inside slot, and the 2 gb, on the outside slot, at least w/mine it did.

Evenually, I'll check it w/4 gb, to see if it supports 3.25 gb w/the 32 bit version of Vista. I do have 4 gb in my Gateway, so maybe I'll try it w/that.

Update: I did check it w/4 gb, but it doesn't work.

I've updated the BIOS to F.31.

I've also got the very latest Intel Video Driver loaded, and it doesn't appear to support DX10 yet. It won't do Windows Aero, and GPUZ says that it is only supporting DX9. :confused: I'll check it w/3DMark.

Correction: it does support DX10. The Aero Windows work. An error on my part.

It is suppose to have the Intel GM965 chipset, which supports a cpu FSB of 533, 667, and 800 MHz. The C700 series, according to the HP Service Manual, supports cpu's up to the Intel T8300 cpu. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01301275.pdf

8. arquitekno

arquitekno Newbie

Reputations:
    F.33 BIOS IS AVIABLE!

Well. I'm trying to upgrade my C700 to x7900 2,8GHZ FSB800 (BUS 200) CPU but I have some problems. System recognizes CPU model, starts right and shows x7900 @ 2800MHz, but when I check this into everest or CPUID i can see that system works at 6x200 multiplier (1.200) and not at 14x200 multiplier (2800) I've checked it on full mode. Cannot I set multiplier to 14x? What is the top CPU upgrade that i can get to my C700? Thanks!

System works with only 3GB (1+2) max. on Vista x64 and F.31... I'll try with F.33...

9. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried changing the CPU in my wife's C712NR, but the socket was different.
    Just the corner on the CPU where a few pins were missing, was a different config than the replacement. Mine came with a DC T2310, and I borrowed a T7250 from a d620 at work to test with.

Anyone know what socket it has? Or what socket that d620 has (so I know what it is NOT, at least) and what's a best bang-for-buck not too expensive upgrade proc for it? I upgraded the RAM to 2GB already - Circuit City had Kingston 1GN SO-DIMMs for $29 a few weeks ago - bought 2 of those puppies for it.

T

10. GoHack

GoHack Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

From what I can find on Intel's website, the T2310 and T7250 cpu's both appear to be the Socket P. This is the very latest socket that is available for laptops from Intel. The old standard was called the Socket M, which is probably what you had that wouldn't fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.