Compaq Presario C700 Upgrades And Facts!

Discussion in 'HP' started by drmega0226, Apr 4, 2008.

1. slawx

slawx Newbie

Reputations:
    C742EM

BIOS ver: F. 35 with manually enabled VT-x for virtualization support.

CPU: T7500
    3GB Memory: 1GB (Hynix 800Mhz+2GB Kingston 800MHz) 800MHz but of course operate at 667 MHz speed.

Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0012
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Size: 1024 MB
    Form Factor: SODIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM0
    Bank Locator: BANK 0
    Type: DDR2
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: 667 MHz
    Manufacturer: 0xAD00000000000000(Hynix 800MHz ver)

Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0012
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Size: 2048 MB
    Form Factor: SODIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM2
    Bank Locator: BANK 2
    Type: DDR2
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: 667 MHz
    Manufacturer: 0x7F98000000000000 (Kingston 800MHz ver)

It works like a charm with 3GB.

2. adolphik

adolphik Newbie

Reputations:
    My c742EA had heat sink broken (fluid that was inside evaporated) what caused gpu to overheat extremely so it was hanging or switching off or getting bsod when trying to watch any youtube video. I had a spare one, so I replaced it, and also replaced my T2310 cpu with T7500 as I had to take it all apart anyway :p
    Upgraded 1,5gb ram memory with en extra 2gb stick (3gb all together)
    1gb in slot0 +2gb in slot1
    Everything works with no issues at all, temperature readings are fine + overall performance is way better than before. I think that t7500 doesn't create as much heat as T2310 did 'cause lapop runs much cooler now.
    Costed me aprox:
    T7500 12$ (best upgrade you can get if you want to go cheap, as better ones are way more expensive, and it's just a waste of money with this chipset)
    ddr2 2gb stick(400mhz) 10$.
    Happy to see my old scrap revived, now it can even hande hd videos(1080) on youtube :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. tcpr

tcpr Newbie

Reputations:
    Got a Samsung 850 evo 250gb SSD. I'm now running Windows 8. I have to say, the ssd was the best upgrade of them all! (Maybe because I upgraded the cpu 3 ago and don't remember how slow it was before.. Lol).

I'm thinking to buy a new notebook for a few months and got this ssd because of a opportunity I had and was thinking to use with a future new notebook... But the c700 got so fast and as I use my notebook just as a second pc, I am now postponing the purchase again.. (if you consider that good notebooks are too expensive at Brazil, better wait a travel to USA to buy one new anyways)

I just wish a better wifi card.. But I can live with this..
    The weight is my biggest concern, but this we can do nothing about.

My setup for now is:
    1gb + 2gb
    T8300
    250gb SSD
    12cell battery (4:30h of autonomy at best)

And just FYI, I have this nb for more than 7 years. So many time lol

4. s1dest3p

s1dest3p Newbie

Reputations:
    I would also like to know about the Intel 3160 Wifi swap. Does you get it to work? Did it work with stock F35 BIOS?

Also, does 4GB definitely not work with Windows 7/8 64 bit with 2GB in each slot? And DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) would be the best RAM to use if you upgrade CPU to something like the T8300?

Thanks,

5. GZU

GZU Newbie

Reputations:
    I've just got round to ugrading my CPU to a T7250 and enabling VT-X using MeRXa's method (on page 19).
    I couldn't get a USB flash drive to update and didn't have a powered USB hub but was able to re-flash with a USB floppy.
    Hope this helps someone with a C700 (731TU).

Cheers,

6. vajaj

vajaj Newbie

Reputations:
    Many thanks! I have just upgraded old HP G7020 (Europe version) from T2310 to T8100, 3GB RAM and VT-x.

Runs much faster and cooler. T8100 was 7$.

I used old 1GB FAT32 formatted flash drive in closest right USB slot to flash BIOS (also following MeRXa's method). I haven't heard any DVD-drive clicking noise (could be, because I previously put USB boot in first position in BIOS), but all seems to be OK, VirtualBox in Linux Mint can use VT-x.

7. Soohar

Soohar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello! I recently upgraded my C700 from t2310 to t7500 and changed cmos battery (new battery with soldered cables to Steel plates on battery) and i have following problem: First boot was fine, fan was running nearly constantly at full speed, but still displayed t2310 cpu in properties and just shut off. Every try makes it turn on for like 5-10 seconds and it shuts off, obce it went past this and updated Windows 10, but alter That, always when it turns on past Windows loading it pops BSOD. What can I do? The second problem is when booting bios and system are made 100% from black and white stripes, yet after Windows loading, login screen and system overall runs fine, without stripes and after restart bios is fine too, what's causing That?
    Cheers!
    To be precise, the newest bios is flashed and it has 2.5gb of ram (0,5gb closer to mobo, worked fine before)
    Update: It booted and even kept bios data, hours etc for same time and maybe one power off (no battery, cord unplugged, booted to OS but custom dock Didn't open and in system info it stated in nearly Every info (processor, memory etc) as unavailable, can it be because of cmos battery or some capacitor damage? Or can it be CPU fault?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  8. felix_fortunat

felix_fortunat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! This is my first post on this forum but I've already read all posts in this thread.

I have Compaq Presario C715NR. Year ago I have successfully upgraded RAM to 2x1GB sticks and put SSD in. Works fine.

C715nr is model which wasn't mentioned here. I assumed it's like a rest of the series and ordered a cheap used Intel Core 2 Duo T9300.
    It came with one pin slightly bent but I straightened it delicately with a needle. It fits the socket well.

The problem is: after replacing the cpu computer doesn't boot. The screen is totally dark and blank. I get a fan noise but no other sounds. No blips or beeps. My system drive is ssd one so it doesn't emit sound either.
    It might be a display problem, I will try external display at my friend's place but why there are no sounds? (I'm back to the old processor and display works fine)

I have dismantled it again and disconnected the on board battery to reset CMOS.

Should I update the Bios version first? Current version is F.08. I'm going to flash it with F.35 as I can't find newer version on official site.
    Could somebody post a link to newest bios upgrade?

What are your advice? Should I try T8300 instead?

I have informed the seller about faulty pin. He assured me it worked well before and agreed to return the money if it does not work but I still would like to make it run and save the hassle of sending it back and ordering another one.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  9. vajaj

vajaj Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, for sure do BIOS update. Support for Penryn T9300 came in newer BIOSes.

Also, I have now long dead battery for this laptop, and did not cause any problem with old CPU. With T8100 if the same battery is in laptop, I ocassionaly cannot start or restart laptop (black screen after start with fan on). Removing battery solves the problem completely.

10. felix_fortunat

felix_fortunat Newbie

Reputations:
    That's what I did few hours after posting.
    I can now confirm that Compaq Presario C715nr with F.35 bios can run T9300.

Updating bios on linux was tragic. I've installed windows after 5 years of using different linux distros and updating bios took half a minute.