Compaq Presario C700 Upgrades And Facts!

Discussion in 'HP' started by drmega0226, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikey9876

mikey9876 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just found a C700 laying by the road. It was baking in the sun and still wet from rain the previous evening. But after charging it turns on and runs! Physically the only problem is 1/3 of keyboard is busted. Wow that CPU puts out a lot of heat!

Config (as is): CPU T2370; RAM 2Gb pc5300; HD 250Gb; DVD RW +R DL; Windoze vista 32

What do you guys think for upgrading?

Android JB $0
    Keyboard__$27
    CPU______$31 T7700 SLAF7 4mb cache 2.4 Ghz 800 bus
    Battery____$27 5200 mAh new with Japanese cells
    RAM______$25 2 sticks 1G ddr2 800/6400
    802.11n___$32 Intel 6235 802.11n and Bluetooth

Am I correct in assuming a CPU with 1066 bus will not work with 800 memory? (Can get T9400 for $5 more)

2. sphell

sphell Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice find :)

I've upgraded mine with:

Intel T9300 @ 2.5ghz
    3Gb RAM
    OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    Illuminated (back-lit) keyboard
    Windows 8 64-bit
    New battery

The thing flies and stays cool now. It boots to the Windows login screen in about 10 secs! The CPU made the biggest difference to heat, and the SSD made the biggest difference to speed.

I'm only going from memory here (you would have to go back through this thread to make sure) but I think CPU's with 800mhz bus are the fastest these laptops will take.

3. mikey9876

mikey9876 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmm... I could just change the CPU, memory, and keyboard, have a decent laptop for $70. If the bus can be underclocked the T9400 should in theory work. That would get me 2mb more cache for just $5. The busted KB prevents me from getting into BIOS.

4. d3bug

d3bug Newbie

Reputations:
    <strike>Is there any reason that a socket p 1066 FSB quad core processor could not be used on the C700 MB?</strike>
    <strike>Also, does anyone think it would be possible to replace the graphics chip with a different model (same pinout)?</strike>
    One more thing - it's my understanding that the reason you cannot upgrade beyond 5GB is because there is a BIOS bug in the C700 series which prevents you from putting anything larger than 1GB in slot0 (closest to motherboard). Does anyone have any BIOS coding experience that could look at the v35 bios and maybe do a fix (unless it's been done somewhere already)? If that was fixed, we SHOULD be able to use 8GB on this laptop 2x4GB and at the same time, enable VMX in the fix as well.

/Just some ideas I am floating around.

EDIT: answered my own 2 questions above... but still interested in a BIOS fix.

5. mikey9876

mikey9876 Newbie

Reputations:
    2GB in slot 1!!! 2GB in slot 1!!! (CPU-Z calls it slot 1, elsewhere it is called slot 0)

I have a 2 GB 800 stick in the slot closest to MB, Windoze 7 and Linux Mint 17 both work fine. I also tried the stick in the other slot and both OS work. Win 7 has Service Pack 1 and all updates. BIOS is F35 supposedly modded to allow wifi upgrading. Now I am confident I can get another stick, have 4GB 800 dual channel. I am posting this from Windows 7 with a 2GB stick in the slot closest to MB.

The memory and a double size battery are only hardware changes I have made, still waiting for other parts to arrive. The sticker on back says Vista, but windoze had so much malware I didn't even know what version until I started cleaning from Linux. Getting windows cleaned was a lot of work, but worth it to save a legit activated Win 7 install.

School wants $300 to replace the Dell they gave me. I want to use my C769 instead. If something happens to this laptop I'm out $150 instead of $300. School Dell has 1.6 Ghz Intel dual core. On the Compaq both OSs are set up for e-textbooks and other school stuff.

This Compaq has one VERY important feature: hardware touchpad disable! On my own Dell and school Dell the touchpad disable is only thing I cannot get to work. On this Compaq the pad disable is a simple hardware function, no drivers or programs to get working and fail with every windows update. No more random cursor jumping while typing essays. :)

My brand new double size battery charges to 54% and stops. Does not matter if off, in BIOS, Win 7 or Linux. Oh well 54% is still 4% better than original battery when it was new.

Parts still to come:
    T9400 engineering sample (no temp sensor) will do BSEL mod for 800 fsb
    802.11 b/g/n/ac dual channel and BT 4.0 - with half/full adapter. Intel 3160
    New fan - old one sometimes makes noise.
    Cooling Diamond 7 carat
    18.5v power supply - maybe this will fix battery. Currently using a universal with 18 and 19v but not 18.5v
    Keyboard - getting exact replacement. What model is a compatible lighted keyboard? (currently using a desktop KB).
    Another 2 GB 800 stick

6. mikey9876

mikey9876 Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe the 1 GB limit was a Windows problem, not BIOS. My research showed BIOS f35 would test the memory no problem, the problem was in booting Windows. I bought the memory hoping I was right and problem fixed with SP1. Nobody had ever tried SP1 or Linux before.

7. indyjeepman

indyjeepman Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same battery issue with a 12 cell, only mine stops at 58%. 65w power pack failed soon after the battery change, upgraded to a 120w aftermarket. No change. I read somewhere that Vista had something to do with the battery issue, but I upgraded from Vista Home 32 to 7 Professional 64 with no change.

8. herka999

herka999 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi mikey9876 and all,

Is there a known list of whitelisted miniPCI wifi adapters supporting either 802.11n or 802.11ac with BIOS F.35 (if any) ?
    Were you successful in using the Intel 3160 (802.11 b/g/n/ac dual channel and BT 4.0 - with half/full adapter. Intel 3160) ?
    Was it automatically recognized by vanilla BIOS F.35 ?

Thanks for your help.

9. adrlopz

adrlopz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! so did anyone install a c2d cpu on a celeron-bases C700? thanks!!

10. anorak_ian

anorak_ian Newbie

Reputations:
    Battery: I have switched from a 6 to a 12 cell with no problem at all, 100% charging (Win XP Pro sp2, and Linux Ubuntu).
    Charger is made in china 20volt 3.5amp which makes it a 70watt (20x3.5=70).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.