Compaq Presario C700 Upgrades And Facts!

Discussion in 'HP' started by drmega0226, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusfinley

gusfinley Newbie

Reputations:
    I've followed this thread with much interest. I wanted to upgrade my C700 because it was so slow with Vista. I installed Peppermint/Linux and it boots in 15 seconds!

A while ago I got curious and noticed that Android-x86.org had released a generic x86 build for Jelly Bean (Android 4.2). I installed it on a USB stick and WOW! It is fast. It boots in 24 seconds using a read-only system model (compressed). It supports some live wallpapers and the touchpad can serve as both a mouse and quasi-direct manipulation device ( Tap, then swipe as if with a touch screen).

This is fun! The only down side is that some apps were optimized for ARM architectures so you might not get some of your favorites to work (Netflix, Angry Birds). There are still plenty to go around.

Give it a try with a live USB or LiveCD from Android-x86.org :thumbsup:

Now I am triple booting Android Jelly Bean, Peppermint/Ubuntu/Linux and Windows Vista as a last resort.

2. tcpr

tcpr Newbie

Reputations:
    +1 Trying to to get extra life to a C700 here.

I have one C710br which came with Celeron M530. It is 5.5 years old! It's original battery stil working with 50% of it's original capacity, I think this is impressive!

So, I bought today a 12cell battery and a t8300 from ebay. Hope to receive both in a month.
    It's a $85 upgrade to save me from spending $1000 on a new one for at least another 1.5 years since I have a powerfull desktop PC!

Also, someone know if there is some mini pcie ssd card compatible with this notebook? Is it good/worth?

3. tcpr

tcpr Newbie

Reputations:
    CPU and battery arrived a few days ago.

It's worth the money indeed. The notebook is running pretty decent now. I can play fullHD (1080p) movies with new CPU, before I was barely able to play 720p movies.
    The new battery lasts about 5 hours for web browsing. :)

Only thing that bothers me now is the wifi card. If I find some N card compatible with this nb for something up to $15 I would defenitly bought it.

4. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can find a modified BIOS without the whitelist or mod it yourself. Then you can use any number of minipcie cards. I've got a half-height Atheros one from a different laptop in mine (it can't be screwed down, but it works fine).

Why were you looking for a minipcie ssd? Just get a regular sata ssd.

Looks like I might need to throw my motherboard in the oven soon. Seems I'm not getting a video pretty often now. Need to keep powering it down and back up until it eventually posts.

5. GSRWRC

GSRWRC Newbie

Reputations:
    This thread has been pretty handy reading. I upgraded to a T9300 from the old T2390 in my C799TU today - fairly blindly by running Geekbench2 and having a look at the C700 chart to see what other CPUs this family had shoved in 'em. Poor old laptop has a new lease on life now. Now to look into this 3GB RAM deal.

Anyone else thrown theirs on Geekbench? Would like to see some scores :) (Mine is 3029)

Edit:
    - Got 3GB RAM working fine with no noticeable increase in performance and a slightly reduced geekbench score. Gone back to 2GB.
    - Installed Win 7 in 64bit on a spare HD to see if 2x2GB would work - of course it didn't, but thought I'd give it a go. Gonna try a single 4GB module sometime as I've seen that mentioned somewhere in this thread.
    - Next up i'm gonna try a 120GB SSD (Any recommendations?), an Intel X9000 and a fresh install of Win 7 64bit and be done with it.

6. Dave8986

Dave8986 Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed a T8300, and it's much faster. It runs 30 degrees cooler. One heck of an upgrade! :) Thanks for this forum. I just have one issue with this laptop. While I am typing, sometimes a copy/paste/delete will occur.I thought it was the keyboard at first, so I replaced it, and that didn't fix it. It must be the keyboard connection/chipset. I tried an external keyboard and it works fine.

7. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sounds like your palm brushing up on the touchpad

8. daffodillus maximus

daffodillus maximus Newbie

Reputations:
    special thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

when I upgraded my c742tu with a t8300 I lost dynamic frequency control. I have have been able to regain this function by installing freeware 'crystalCPUID' .

my experience with upgrading this old lappy has been all positive , fun and educational and all because of this thread.
    t8300 3gb ram 1tb sshb windows seven 32bit.

cheers - Daf Max.

9. Scoth42

Scoth42 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just wanted to +1 this. Installed CrystalCPUID and enabled the automatic multiplier management and it's made a big difference in battery life. This was the last annoyance with my upgraded C771US and I'm very pleased to have it solved. I did go in and tweak the thresholds because it was a little too eager to jump up to full speed, but I'm pleased.

10. TerribleTrux

TerribleTrux Newbie

Reputations:
    I would just like to thank everyone on the form. This information was very useful. I have been using my C768CA for many years and always just put up with the sluggishness, until I found this forum.

Originally this model came with a T2370 1.73GHz CPU, 2gb ram and 250gb HD.

I have upgraded to the T9300 2.5GHz CPU and a 120gb solid state HD with Windows 7. I have to say everything is working great and the speed is much improved! I also used CrystalCPUID to enable the automatic multiplier management. Looks like this laptop has a new lease on life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.