Compaq Presario C700 Upgrades And Facts!

Discussion in 'HP' started by drmega0226, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slawx

slawx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    It worked just fine when I updated bios from the usb drive :) for some reasons didn't work with insyde flash. Here is the file. Had to split it due to size.

Attached Files:

2. yaye

yaye Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Slawx. I think I'll try the mod on my own file, and check if the non-volatile bits match with yours.

Incidentally everyone, DONT flash that file. You have to modify your own BIOS dump, else you lose you serial numbers etc, and if the model isn't exactly the same, perhaps worse.

3. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello Folks,

This thread isn't seeing much action...:)

I just had a C712nr handed to me that is literally new...these aren't bad looking for an older unit and I thought I'd keep it around. It appears to have the original F.8 Bios in it, 1gb(2x512mb) of ram, and the T2310. I've got a T7300 lying around, this will work in this unit? After reading the thread I saw many mentions of the T8300 working, so I'm assuming the T7300 will work, correct?

Just trying to save myself a little work if isn't compatible.

Best,

Liquid Cool

4. Scoth42

Scoth42 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this! Worked great and I'm happily trucking along with VT enabled on a T8100 I swapped into my C771US (which I got for $15 at a thrift store!)

Only problem I have left now is the trouble other people reported with temp reporting and fan control. Doesn't work in Linux or Windows, and I'm not sure what to make of it. In Linux I get errors about firmware bugs saying the BIOS needs updating, but naturally there isn't anything later than F.35. Doesn't seem to have hurt my battery life too much more than the old battery already has.

Now, I wonder if I could get that eGPU thing to work...

5. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Finally got the upgrade completed. Went ahead and purchased a T8300 from E-Bay(24.99) and added a spare Samsung 830 64gb SSD. I also added a 2x1gb set of spare Samsung memory sticks over the 2x512mb sticks that we're in the unit.

The little laptop definitely woke up. Pretty darn speedy...even if the graphics aren't the latest available. For everyday tasks it runs very solid. It chews through 1080p videos now without hesitation...I usually test my laptops in 1080p on full screen with this video here.

Click

The good thing about updating the T2310 processor to the 45nm Penryn is this notebook now runs very quiet. The fan barely comes on...and when it does it doesn't ramp up like a jet engine prepping for take off. Overall...I'm quite pleased with it.

Full upgrade took about an hour, although I'm still trying to figure out if I have the proper video drivers installed. I moved from Vista to Win 7 x64...and it seems as though the 'graphics area' of the WEI went down. Although, I do take the WEI with a grain of salt...

Click

Scoth42...might check into an eGPU setup myself. Keep us posted if you head down this path. I'll do the same.

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

6. sphell

sphell Newbie

Reputations:
    Edit - got it working.....please ignore this post

7. sphell

sphell Newbie

Reputations:
    Just thought I'd add my experience which may help someone since this thread helped me a lot. I recently upgraded my old Compaq C710TU which I originally bought for about $500 (Australian Dollars) back in 2007 or 2008. It originally came with an Intel Celeron 530 1.73Ghz CPU, 512MB of RAM and a Toshiba 80GB HDD.

On the weekend I installed a Intel T9300 C2D 2.5Ghz, 3MB of PC6400 RAM and an OCZ Octane II 128GB SSD. The speed difference is amazing, especially since putting in the SSD.

The only issue I had was the laptop wouldn't boot into Windows after swapping the hard drives, even though I had copied and exact image of the original HDD to the SSD. In the end I had to pay $9.75 to NeoSmart Technologies for a Windows Vista Recovery Disk. I installed the new SSD, booted from the recovery disk, clicked on Automated Repair and after that it was all good.

The computer used to get unbelievably hot with the old Celeron CPU (up around 67-71 degrees C according to Aida64), now it runs at 30 deg C or less.

The only question I have if someone knows, is that another component identified as GMCH1 in Aida64, still runs at around 57-60 degrees Celsius. Im assuming this is the other 'chip' that the heatsink sat on top of? Maybe the graphics processor? Anyway, this originally had a thermal pad connecting it to the heatsink. When I replaced the CPU I used Arctic Silver 5 paste, and I also used this on the other processor. Should I have used another thermal pad? Because the application of AS5 was thinner than the pad, and I'm wondering if it is making proper contact. Or is this temp range normal for GMCH1?

8. Bimmermeister

Bimmermeister Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,i have just upgraded from T2310 to T8300 and i now have 2GB Total Ram 2X1GB.Can i install the T9500 processor?Can i also use 2x2GB RAM so i will have a total of 4GB?I am currently running Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate(both 64bit) on Samsung 830 SSD.

On page "17",member "drloakes" said that he uses 2X2GB RAM.Can i also do that?I am running the latest .F35 bios.Please answer me asap!!!

9. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes you can use the t9500, however I don't know if the it's a worthwhile upgrade unless you can get the t9500 for cheap.. looks like the t8300 is selling in the upper $20s, and the t9500 is still in the upper $80's. If you have a need for the extra cache, then maybe..

Otherwise, you may want to look at doing a pll mod. It may be possible to run at 266fsb that way.

No, 2x2 won't work. 1gb+2gb=3gb would work though if you populate the dimms in the right way.

10. OCDtech

OCDtech Newbie

Reputations:
    Ordered a T9300, 2GB SODIMM, some Arctic Silver 5 poly, and an 8800mAh battery all from Amazon last night. There's a vendor selling T9300's for $50 right now. Looks like they still have some stock if anybody else is looking. They shipped mine out in less than 24hrs. I'm crossing fingers that all arrives in good condition.

I currently have the F.33 BIOS on my C762nr. Is there any reason I need to flash to F.35 to support a 1GB+3GB or the T9300? I've read the entire thread and it didn't look like it, but there's a bit of inconsistency in the feedback. I had the misfortune of making a lithographic paper-weight before and would prefer to avoid revisiting the experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.