Compaq Presario C700 Upgrades And Facts!

Discussion in 'HP' started by drmega0226, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitroxide

Nitroxide Newbie

Reputations:
    I must say I'm grateful for this thread which guided me in upgrading a C740el Compaq Notebook. Some details about my current configuration:

T8300 CPU
    3GB (2+1GB) RAM @333Mhz
    GM965 Chipest (identified by the 500Mhz GPU core clock vs. 400Mhz on GL960)
    F.35 BIOS

I've encountered some problems though:

1. Speedstep is not working (was with the T2330 CPU I've replaced). "Processor Power Management" settings Power Options are correct. AIDA64 reports EIST as supported and enabled.

However, even with 0% CPU Acvtity, the frequency is still stuck at 2.4Ghz.

2. CPU/ mainboard temperatures are not reported correctly anymore

3. I cannot get an Apple branded BCM94322MC WLAN card to work with this notebook. Whenever the card is inserted and I try to turn on the notebook it's stuck on a black screen. If I remove the card at this point, the notebook shows the POST screen and boots correctly.

Another interesting thing I've observed is if I hot-plug the card after BIOS POST, the computer locks. If I do it in Windows, I cannot control keyboard or mouse anymore and I get highly increased CPU activity. If I remove the card, computer resumes normal execution.

If I hot-plug the card that came with the notebook (AR5007EG based) none of the explained behavior happens. It just ignores the insertion. If I plug it with the power off, it boots and works correctly, as expected.

I must also mention that the BCM94322MC is working perfectly (I've tried it in a different notebook). I've also tried an F35 bios version with whitelist check removed and I get the same behavior.

If anyone has encountered any of the described issues or has a clue about it I kindly ask for a reply. Thank you.

2. mandc

mandc Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently upgraded from a T2370 to a T7300 that has virtualization then upgraded the bios from F.33 to F.35 but unfortunately there is nowhere in this bios that allows you to enable virtualization.

Running the HAV Detection Tool in preparation for installing XP Mode (I am running Win 7 Ultimate) tells me I have to enable virtualization in bios. LOL

So although I have it, I can't use it...very handy indeed!
    I picked up a T7300 for $20 off ebay and already had Arctic Silver paste, so the total cost was $20 plus an hour of my time

3. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nitroxide, there is a whitelist in the bios that determines what wlan cards are allowed. You can remove the whitelist and run whatever card you want. You can find the latest bios modded on mydigitallife.info's forum. It's got the whitelist removed and slp for windows 7.

It looks like coretemps are not reported properly with penryn parts. As a result, it looks like fan control does not work properly either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BIOS does report cpu properly, so I'm not sure if injecting an updated microcode would help.

Multiplier does switch between 6x and 10.5x, but cpu-z reports vid to be stuck at 1.150v.

Using RMClock, vid can be set down to 0.925v for lowest value. However, there does not appear to be half multiplier support, so you may lose 100mhz off the top end.

As usual, stability is fine at max fid with min vid: (minus 0.5x)
    [​IMG]

Going to flash the spd to see if my sticks can handle 400mhz

4. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just used spdtool to change the max frequency for one of my sticks:
    [​IMG]

Removed the other stick to test it by itself, but I can't get it to go in 1:2 mode for ddr2-800. Anyone have success? Maybe I need to change more than just the max speed?

Or does it not support timings that slack?? Even though jedec defines cas6 for ddr2-800

As a test, I set my spd for 4-4-4 @ 333 and 5-5-5 @ 400. It seems cas is stuck at 5, but tRCD and tRP are now 4.

Is the motherboard not capable of cas4 / 1:2 on the 200fsb strap? Seems at 200fsb, it will only do 3:5 333 cas5 regardless of spd. Or I am not programming the proper values.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  5. MeRXa

MeRXa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i just managed to enable the VT on a C760EM notebook. Since I needed VT for KVM I bought a T8100, but noticed you can't enable this feature on the crappy BIOS HP supplied us. Note: I'm working with the latest F.35 update for the C700 BIOS (it's the same for all the C700 models):

Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC series- WinFlash para BIOS del sistema de notebooks HP (para equipos con procesadores Intel) basados en Windows Vista - Centro de Soporte HP para Empresas

This is the BIOS installer, if you extract it with a zip manager like 7-zip you'll get a file called "30D9F35.exe", and if you do the same thing with this file you'll get several files. One of them is called "30D9F35.fd", this is the real BIOS file.

Well, I looked for some info and found this interesting post:
    Abort, Retry, Hack? Blog Archive Enabling Intel VT on the Aspire 8930G (and other InsydeH2O-based laptops)

I'm going to try explaining the process marcan describes here, applied to our C700 laptop, giving also my personal experience and the solutions to the problems I encountered along the way. First of all make sure you read the entire marcan's post and try to understand it a little bit (it's recommended to read some of the comments below the post, but not necessary). You will need the following things:

- A Linux OS installed (in my case a x64 Scientific Linux 6 with 2.6.32-220.7.1 kernel) and some Linux skills.
    - Another computer (just in case).
    - A pendrive.
    - Patience.

Also you have to understand that modifying the BIOS is a REALLY DANGEROUS PROCESS that blah, blah, blah...you have a BIOS recovery process at the end of this post (which I used to flash my modded BIOS also, keep reading :) ).

Long story "short", first you need to dump your BIOS (you can't use the BIOS file from the HP website since you're going to modify some of the volatile storage) with the following command (run as root):

dd if=/dev/mem of=original_bios.fd bs=1024 count=1024 skip=4193280

As you can see the count and skip parameters are different from those from the previous link, since we're going to dump a 1MB BIOS instead of a 2MB one. Maybe you get a "Bad address" or a similar error message (this was my case). To avoid these, instead of using the /dev/mem device you should use a module called fmem (you'll have to install it, look at the section "The fmem kernel module" from the following link: Imaging RAM using Windd, /dev/fmem or QEmu muellis blog). After installing it try running again the "dd" command but using "if=/dev/fmem" instead of "if=/dev/mem". Now you should have a file called "original_bios.fd" containing our BIOS, check that this file is 1MB in size and make sure it looks very similar to the original 30D9F35.fd file.

Next you'll need to get the "vtenable.py" command, but the modified version from MaxL (see the comments below the original link). You can get it directly from here: [Python] MaxL - Pastebin.com

You'll see at the first of the file some parameters, wich some of them are commented. We're going to use the same "VSS_OFFSET = 0x000c0048" on the modified script, since this is also where the VSS area is located on our BIOS. For the "VSS_SIZE" parameter we're going to uncomment the original "VSS_SIZE = 0x4000 - 0x48" and comment the modified "VSS_SIZE = 0x3f58". Also we're going to modify the value of the line "PATCH_OFFSET = 0xae" to "0xbd", since this is the offset for the parameter that enables our VT. This is what my vtenable.py first lines looked like:

#!/usr/bin/python

import sys, struct

#VSS_OFFSET = 0x00180048
    VSS_SIZE = 0x4000 - 0x48
    VSS_OFFSET = 0x000c0048
    #VSS_SIZE = 0x3f58

#PATCH_OFFSET = 0x1af
    PATCH_OFFSET = 0xbd
    PATCH_VALUE = 0x01
    PATCH_VARIABLE = u"Setup"

Next we're going to run this script with the command "./vtenable.py original_bios.fd vt_bios.fd". As said on the marcan post, you'll get another file named "vt_bios.fd" that should be EXACTLY the same to the "original_bios.fd" file, except for one bit (I used the vbindiff program as marcan says on his post).

This is the file we're going to flash the notebook with. To do so I didn't used the installer, but the "secret" alternative method for flashing Insyde BIOSes. You'll need to copy the "vt_bios.fd" file to a pendrive and rename it to "IBL80HW.FD". Next you need to turn off you're computer, remove the battery and the AC adapter, insert the pendrive on any USB slot (I assume you can use any slot, but I really used always the one located on the right side of the laptop closer to me :) ), press the Windows key + B and while mantaining these pressed insert the AC adapter and turn your computer on.

Make sure you get two sounds from the DVD-ROM drive and release the Windows+B keys. The touchpad led should be orange instead of blue and the screen should be blank for about 30 seconds (maybe a little more). After that the computer should turn off automatically, which should mean you have your brand new VT-enabled BIOS installed. Turn on your computer and make sure everything works normally. If after this steps you get a blank screen you may screwed it while dumping the BIOS or modifying it, so do another recovery with the "30D9F35.fd" BIOS file (also renaming it to "IBL80HW.FD") and try starting over again the whole process.

Another problem I had with the last step is that my pendrive didn't worked for BIOS recovery, I had to use a MicroSD card with a USB reader. You can tell if the recovery works from the DVD-ROM drive sounds, if you don't get any noise from it you're laptop is not doing the BIOS recovery.

Well, so this was it, I just needed to write this down for other users since I spent lots of time trying to figure out how to enable this feature for my C700 and wanted to share it. If you succeded with this get to the marcan website and post a big "thank you" for all the people that made it possible :) . If you have any doubt about the process send me a PM and I'll try to help.

Thanks for your attention and patience. Best regards.

6. jonnnk

jonnnk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi , my brother has this laptop. I tried formating with Nuke and boot but his hard drive fails..So I put my used toshiba hard drive from my old laptop in there.. in the bios it does the hard drive check successfully. But if I try installing vista or XP it says there is no hard drive detected..There isn't any options in the bios to do anything...Is there anything else I can try?His laptop is without an operating system at the moment... Thanks

7. slawx

slawx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi MeRXa,

can you confirm this way is working on compaq c700 series witth f.35 firmware. I tried many times and can't get this thing to get vt-x enabled. have this bit changed from 00 to 01, in 0xbd.

Thanks
    Regards

8. MeRXa

MeRXa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Slawx, sorry for answering so late. I did all this procedure with the F.35 firmware installed, so it should work. Are you modifying manually the bit on the 0xbd offset of the whole BIOS file or the bit on the 0xbd offset of the VSS area?

9. yaye

yaye Newbie

Reputations:
    Just a quick note to everyone that a T7450 (1066FSB) will NOT work in this laptop.

10. yaye

yaye Newbie

Reputations:
    MeRXa, is it possible for you to post your updated BIOS file, or must it be done individually?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.