Compaq Presario C700 Upgrades And Facts!

Discussion in 'HP' started by drmega0226, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. defjam

defjam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys just wondering what motherboard the c700 use's? and has any1 upgraded a cpu higher than the stated compatible on the service manual?
    the reason I'm asking is I have the a900 series but doesn't seem any1 tried a cpu upgrade on this model but the hardware between the 2 look very similar, Also any1 use the Intel® Chipset Identification Utility on there support page. When I use it it says I have the gm965 chipset but when I use cpuz ver1.52.2 tells me I have gl960? which 1 would be the most accurate... I can't see intel identifying there own chips incorrectly can they?

2. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    not much of a reader, eh?

3. defjam

Reputations:
    I have read through 1 to 11 of this thread... not sure where in the post lists the motherboard ver? not chipset as i know the c700 has the gm965, the reason I ask about the service manual is that with my stock cpu t2390 is not even listed on the compatibility list? also every1 here seems to use the 3rd party app cpuz and i haven't read any1 using the intel chipset id util to identify there chipset. But I have searched all over for info on A900 with no success, so I figured alot of manufacturers use the same components for there builds, mixing and matching on various models depending on low or highend builds. I know the c700 use the f.34 which is a award bios, so if I can match the model of motherboard then the a900 and c700 would share the same base component and chipset which gives me more of a higher chance of a t7700 or t9300 (penryn upgrade)

4. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes, 200fsb penryns will work

5. defjam

Reputations:
    ok I'm gonna give it a try.
    thanks
    def

6. defjam

Reputations:
    Just an update T8300 works fine istalled today and everythings all good. Thought i'd update as even though this is a c700 thread and mines a compaq a961tu a900 series there is absolutely no info for the a900 with any1 upgrading there cpu..... I figured that it would not be my hardware that would be restricting me but the bios that the manufacturer restricts. Luckly I stumbled accross this thread and noticed that my a900 had somthing in common with the c700 other than the hardware but the bios ver f.34 and every1 with the c700 had so much success with the upgrading to c2d and penryn cpu's. I had to take a chance as my old cpu t2390 core duo was getting to be abit of a hinderince on certain things I do on my lappy and toasty at times running 48c-50c on idle and 80c+ load with a generic notebook cooler!!!!!
    now everythings more perky and idles at 29c and 40c+ load without notebook cooler, thats with everest stability test and temp reading not sure how accurate that is.
    Thanks for all info don't think I would have tried upgrading if it wasn't for this forum.
    cheers
    Def

7. 774TU

774TU Newbie

Reputations:
  8. dangdang

dangdang Newbie

Reputations:
    I upgraded my laptop c714nr with a T8300(fsb800) cpu, running great for 2 months already. cpu and laptop temperature is cooler than before.
    one small cpu speedstep issue to note: my OS is win xp, using power profile "portable/laptop", the cpu is stock at 1.2ghz speed according to cpuz program. switch to "home/office" power profile, this cpu's speedstep work properly, cpu speed will vary according to workload automatically.

here i need some help. anyone one have found out what BIOS chip do this laptop's motherboard use? and where is it on motherboard?

9. himeee

himeee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    just confirming that my laptop, a C700, well more specifically, the C751nr can be upgraded to a T8300, model SLAYQ.
    Now it runs much cooler and much faster than the 1.6 ghz that it used to have.
    I also upgraded the bios on it and i got the VRAM to go up to 384 MB from the 256 it used to have. ( i think ).
    I had to install win xp to update the bios.

Looking right now for a way to change the touchpad to another model because i hate the one it has, will update if success is achieved.

10. m5james

m5james Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I know this is childs play to you guys, but the screen in my 717NR decided to take a crap on me and the bottom half of the screen freezes when I open it up. The picture is fine, no burnt pixels, cracks, etc....it just locks up like the bottom 1/3. I've got the damn thing torn apart, but I don't see a single matching part number w/ the TONS of screens listed on ebay.

Can anyone w/ some experience help me out here. I've already gotten screwed once by buying a used screen that the idiot put into literally a paper envelope and shipped it that way, so needless to say, the screen was destroyed in shipping. I've looked for my exact screen replacement on ebay using "717nr" in the keywords, but it even says in the listing that it's compatible w/ other units, so I don't wanna pay $20 more simply because the guy typed 717NR when I could get away w/ using an $80 replacement. Please help me out so I can make sure to order the correct replacement screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.