Compaq Presario 3000Z vs. HP Pavilion zx5000

Discussion in 'HP' started by Shua, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briggs_ca

briggs_ca Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thats what i was thinking, but i dont know nayone who lives close to the border. i have a friend in arizona, but if he sends it from ther,e im going to have to pay duties AND taxes.. so id end up gettin screwed.. hah.

i decided to jus save up a bit more and wait for a different model to come out.

2. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yeah, besides paying taxes and shipping you would also, have to send it back to that friend whenever you wanted it serviced since your not supposed to export the laptops.

3. tatteredbackpack

tatteredbackpack Newbie

Reputations:
    I spent some time today looking over the Compaq R3000 next to the HP Pavillion zv5000 (which I originally was most interested in.) But after comparing the two, I found the Compaq to appear sturdier (eg: steel clasp instead of plastic on the lid, the molduing more solid and the lid less flimsy.) The Compaq was also thinner, which I think is a benefit with respects to wrist positioning. But I'm wondering if I'm sacraficing performance and/or reliablity with the Comapaq? I'm looking for the most powerful option out there with a great screen. I also want reliable tech support--even if that costs more. (Quikster, you seem to know a lot about these 2 options. Can you advise?)

4. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The dual clasps on the zx5000 are metal not plastic.
    The only other real difference between the two is speakers. The zx5000 has the better speakers of the two. However, if you don't care about this then get whichever one you think looks better as they are the same internals.

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 21,862

5. Decembermouse

Decembermouse Newbie

Reputations:
    Someone asked Intel vs. AMD. After months of research, staying up late, and all, it seems AMD is a better bet. They are easier to contact, have responded to all my emails, have shorter data pipelines, do not sell on the 'megahertz myth'(please see http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,658968,00.html ), are pushing ahead (in terms of 64-bit processors, research them, they are the future...), and are cheaper too in general. I'm definitely going AMD. No offense, Intellies.
    Alex out<><

6. billy269

billy269 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Which one of the two machines would you guys recommend????

7. Venombite

Venombite Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Billy,

The ZX, ZV & R series notebooks are all based on the same platform. They are almost the same unit with a different shell. There are some slight config differences and then you can also customize additional features, like CPU, HDD, LCD, etc... So, generally, they're all good units, you just need to find something that fits what you're going to be doing with the unit. The usual things you should get in a unit, would be a decent video card with dedicated video memory, 5400rpm HDD or faster, at least 512MB memory & a good LCD.

-Vb-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.