CompactGUI - Easily reduce the footprint of programs and games on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by sm2596, Oct 14, 2017.

1. sm2596

sm2596 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Obviously it's going to have some performance impact, nothing is free - however as processors have become more powerful, the impacts become negligible in many situations.
    Look at Anisotropic filtering on GPUs - 15 years ago increasing AF to 16x would cause your FPS to drop, but almost any GPU from the 600 series onwards can max out their AF with no performance impact.

Likewise with CPU progress, you reach a point where certain operations become efficient enough that their impacts are negligible. We're not quite there yet with compression, but we're pretty close.

Also, note that Windows 10 applies OS level compression by default on some low-capacity SSDs (you can check your status by typing "compact.exe /compactOs" into CMD or Powershell. It wouldn't make sense for Windows to do this if there was going to be a significant performance hit, especially since this compression mostly applies to low-power, low-space hybrid devices.

If you want some benchmarks, have a look at these (sadly some of these didn't do FPS comparisons which are more important than load comparisons :/)
    Fortnite
    ARMA 3 (there are framerate comparisons a bit further down)
    CSGO
    Rising Storm 2

I've done some more testing with a few games, but it takes time (which I don't have at the moment) to do proper benchmarks and create analyses of the results - for the most part, I'm relying on user feedback for games that show issues (most of these seem to be games that store themselves in one file like Guild Wars 2) but there haven't been many complaints of performance loss.

2. Sptz

Sptz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sure, I understand! But one is GPU taxing whilst the other is CPU and HDD taxing (obviously no one would use this in an HDD I'm assuming) so even with SSD writing speeds I'm guessing the constant compression and decompression even though it frees up space, it taxes up a lot on reads and writes? I may be wrong though

3. sm2596

sm2596 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah, I see where you're confused; the compressed files don't get decompressed and re-written onto the drive, that would be horrible. Instead they're decompressed on the fly as they're needed, and stored in RAM exactly how they normally would be. Here's a diagram to illustrate it

So during usage, there's no increase in read or writes to the drive

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017