CompactGUI - Easily reduce the footprint of programs and games on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by sm2596, Oct 14, 2017.

1. sm2596

sm2596 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @tilleroftheearth thanks for running those tests :) It really does seem to be an "it depends" scenario a lot of the time, especially when used on programs that are used daily. For games, it seems more clear cut - it either works fine, or it doesn't.

FCU seems to have a few issues around system lagging after a couple of hours of use, but it can't be that since your speed went right back to normal after uncompressing :)

You say you used an i7 QC - what exactly is it if you don't mind me asking?

It really is tough to call it one way or the other.

It does that because I intentionally designed it that way so that users don't accidentally go compacting boot files - bad things happen if you compact those.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Yeah; everyone needs to test in their own 'normal' usage (don't do bm runs... useless 99% of the time to predict rwu).

These are my older platforms which run on Ivy Bridge i7-3612QM processors - but they're still used on less demanding projects (and therefore kept updated and ready). Didn't want to cause issues with current/production platforms though. :)

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I tested this on an uncompressed backup of working data, a 45gb mix of media, photos, docs, it took 90mins to compress and then ~45-60min to decompress.

Saved 3Gb, express16K setting. Didn't go above 70% on one thread and about 30% on a second, out of 8 logical cores. The drive, while a budget MLC SSD, I know it can sustain a solid ~150mb/s activity in the long term. CPU is i7-3940xm @ 4.2ghz, 32gb ram.

Is there some setting to get it to more aggressively multithread? 45gb/90mins = 500Mb/min ~= 8Mb/sec throughput is completely worthless to me if this is how it behaves in normal use

4. sm2596

sm2596 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @bennyg which version of CompactGUI did you use? older versions used an inefficient output for the console and thus were slow if you used it on large folders. V1.4.0-rc1 and above should be much faster.

Also, is that 150mb/s speed for read only? don't forget that compact.exe has to both read and write, so your throughput will be at least halved. Not saying it would make it 90 minutes slow, but just wanted to point that out :)

5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    FYI
    version 1.3.5, I didn't have console output on
    I didn't take any screenshots but from memory the drive active time graph showed it spent most of its time <25% utilisation, sometimes 100% for bursts (up to ten seconds) per few minutes (large files I assume)
    Folder in question is 45.4Gb total, ~25000 files, ~4600 folders

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Thanks for doing this. That's what I was saying in the beginning, under no circumstance can a compressed file/folder be a good thing. It's always gonna be slower as the file has to be uncompressed first. Hence why IMO this program and thread is a major fail.

7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    You're welcome Phoenix.

I don't think this makes the program and thread a fail though.

It does what it says it will do and in the end, it is just for an obscure Windows built in function. I have played with the command line version built into Windows a long time ago, back then I actually had to re install the O/S afterwards (can't remember, but I may have compressed the Windows folder then...).

In my workflows, I open and close many programs many times per work session on the platform I'm using. This may have exaggerated the effects of the decompressing needed (idk). In some situations, this may still be a worthwhile tradeoff while saving for the bigger drive or newer platform that the workflow is indicating is so desperately needed. :)

Edit: sm2596, what does FCU mean in your post#11 above? Ty!

Take care.

Phoenix likes this.
  8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    I believe that stands for Fall Creator's Update.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I'd like to chime in and say that if you are on a budget and you have a small SSD, this application has little to no implicit performance hit on your CPU.

Simple said, for the majority of people, this might not do much, but being able to compress your steamfolder using a simple app taking advantage of the same code as the OS is great.

My little brother SSD of 120GB if filled to the brink, I compressed FIFA18 and have had 0 issues with it so far, that game is 56GB and it went to 42GB, so success.

Again, this depends on your preferences. This is a last/temporary resort solution for the lack of space. Remember, this will take a toll on your SSD's wear and take up a small amount of CPU performance.

bennyg and alexhawker like this.
  10. yotano21

yotano21 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just found this little program called "Compact GUI" that compresses game files. I just tested with the game War Thunder, that game folder was 28.1gb, its now at 19gb, I just saved 9gb of space on my SSD. The game loads the same has before. You cant use it to compress a single file, you will need to compress the entire folder.

I am know trying with my Steam folder at over 1.1tb on a normal HD. I am sure it will take some hours to complete.

Danishblunt and KY_BULLET like this.