Compact SUV/Crossover suggestions?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by David, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Those sales increases look good only because previous sales were so bad. Volvo is dropping a number of unsuccessful car lines the United States and ending production on others worldwide due to poor sales. There's a reason why Ford dumped Volvo in the same way that GM disposed of Saab. Volvo had a much broader product line and generally wasn't quite as marginal as Saab to begin with.

2. daniel_g

daniel_g Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I own a Nissan Juke, then again, I'm poor and can't afford any of the other cars OP mentioned...

3. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the recommendations, fellas. Went to test drive 3 during the weekend and I'm even more confused than ever. I didn't really see one that I could see driving on a weekly or daily basis, but then again, I've never owned a SUV.

Range Rover Evoque - Test driving this was good overall. Aesthetics were more impressive in real life than in pictures. Though I didn't do any evasive maneuvers like CR did and if the Evoque could really lift it's back wheel that easily, then this would be a huge concern for me. I was also warned by the dealership that maintenance is going to be very pricey.

Volvo XC60 - Nothing to dislike or really like. Interior is similar to my C30, but the exterior is quite boring.

Subaru Forester - Handling seems pretty nice and out of the three I test drove, it feels the best to drive (but still weird for me). However, the interior isn't that refined and the exterior doesn't look as modern or bold as the other vehicles.

After doing some online digging, I could definitely see myself driving the X1, but will have to test drive it first before any final decisions. Also the Mercedes B-Class looks pretty decent too (looks like it's going to be released later this year, but I could be wrong).

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm partial to the Audi Q5 and Infiniti EX35 among premium-compact SUVs. The former is more luxurious, while the latter I would consider more a "driver's" car. The EX is essentially a propped up G35 with more cargo space.

5. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe the Mazda CX-5 should be released in the U.S. in a few weeks as well. A fully loaded one with AWD, Navigation and everything else would still be cheaper than the ones listed in the first post.

6. SemiExpert

Reputations:
    Well, it's quick enough, isn't it? With that little turbo four, I'll bet that a Juke will keep ahead of more than a few premium crossovers.

Mazda isn't exactly a premium brand, or even a mainstream Japanese brand. They've got some major issues now that they aren't with Ford anymore. I'm not sure Mazda's going to make it on their own. Same for Suzuki and Mitsubishi. At least Subaru can fall back on Toyota.

7. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the BMW X1 would be a good choice. I've seen some around and they seem like a perfect mini-SUV. Too bad they are unavailable in the US.

8. SemiExpert

Reputations:
    Mercedes doesn't have much of a track record with the A/B-series. Terrible cars by any standard. Take away the three pointed star, and these cars wouldn't be judged well against even the Korean competition. It's worth noting that Mercedes sells the outgoing B-class in Canada.

The new A and B will be more conventional, but that will pit them firmly against the VW Golf and Ford Focus in size and packaging. Again, not sure what Mercedes thinks it can bring to the mainstream FWD segment after its struck out so many times. I guess the Audi A3 has sold well in a lot of markets, but there again, VW-Audi has a lot more FWD experience, dating all the way back to the original Golf.

9. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apparently I've missed the context, but I haven't seen him mention that it had to be a 'premium' brand?

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    He might not have outright said that, but reading between the lines of his first post and you can see those are the brands he is considering. It appears as though he simply drove a Forester for the heck of it, liked the way it drove, but was unimpressed with the interior and exterior design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.