Compact SUV/Crossover suggestions?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by David, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I've never been a fan of SUVs, vans, pickups or the likes, but I recently found out that I may need more room than my 2011 Volvo C30 offers (basically a coupe with no trunk space).

I should note that I've driven various older models of the Infinity QX, Ford Expedition, Lexus GX, Toyota Odyssey, Honda Pilot and they all feel awkward (maybe I'm just note used to driving large vehicles).

After browsing the US News rankings for compact SUVs here's the top few that made the list:

(listed by US News ranking, not preference)

1. Audi Q5 - Not an Audi fan (except for the R8), but it was ranked the top on US News so I'm assuming it has a some good qualities to it.

2. Range Rover Evoque - I absolutely love the exterior and interior finish, but am wary about everything else, especially how it's a bit under-powered for it's price tag and a tad over my budget. Not sure how I feel about Victoria Beckham designing the car either.

3. BMW X3 - I've heard they had major issues in the past and Top Gear's review gave it a no-go (Though I think they reviewed an older model)

4. Volvo XC60 - Meh... I already have a Twilight car and don't want another one.

5. Infiniti EX35 - Love the interior but detest the exterior. Specs are good. I have mixed feelings with this one.

6. Mercedes GLK-350 - Good overall with no short-comings that I can see, but nothing to really write home about. Also, Mercedes is a bit cliche.

Comments?

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Funny you mention Crossover, the X3 demolished the new Evoque, which had horrible ratings on this issue of Consumer Report. The Q5 outscored the X3. Have you considered the larger FX35/50? It's not that much larger IMO, price tag does go up.

Personally I'd get an XTERRA or Pathfinder, though the Pathfinder has grown much larger with the newer ones.

3. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    I like the new Pathfinder, though it may be a bit large. I really like Audi's too, and they're good overall cars. I don't understand why anyone would get a Mercedes... they're expensive to maintain and are considerably unreliable for their cost.

4. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    In addition to Q5, are there A4 or A6 Allroads currently available? Just a thought, if it's only more space you need (and there was a Volvo already on the list).

5. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
  6. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The new Subaru Outback does offer a plenty of cargo spaces. My dad has it and he couldn't be happier with it. It would be worth checking out at least. :)

7. jooooeee

jooooeee Stealth in disguise

Reputations:
    I'll third the subaru outback drives well, has good room inside I'm 6' 2" and on the wide side and it's comfortable in both the front and back, plenty of cargo space and tons if you fold the back seats down, nice interior and exterior, and it gets decent gas mileage with the flat six.

As for what you've posted I am partial to the Audi, the range rover looks good but I've heard problems with their reliability in the past.

8. redrazor11

redrazor11 Formerly waterwizard11

Reputations:
    I'm going to also suggest the Subaru (Forester). Although it doesn't have as much space as the Outback, it's less wide and long, sits up higher... and just feels more nimble all together. Almost like a lifted go kart.

9. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's alright. I'm not entirely convinced by the Q5, but it's better than the previous huge and heavyweight Q7. I'd wait for the Q3, which might be very decent, or might end up as a badge engineered VW Tiguan.

Anyway, the Q5 is pretty much based on the A4. Not a bad thing.

Made in England, owned by the Indian company Tata. Overall, I wouldn't touch one. British build quality and reliability are still the worst in the industry.

The Evoque looks different, but it's built from the same Ford-era parts as the Freelander/LR2. Nothing special under the skin.

You'd be better off buying a Ford crossover such as the new Escape - same Ecoboost engine but not built in Britain.

The new model is closer in size to the original X5. I'd wait for the slightly smaller BMW X1.

Volvo might end up being the next Saab.

Small and strange. Infiniti has a new FWD based crossover on the way.

It looks like a tiny Gelandewagen but it's really just a C-class under the skin. The base RWD model looks like good value.

Is the Mercedes brand a luxury car cliche. Yup. That's the point.

The Forester is not exactly luxurious or refined. As far as design, Subaru has fallen behind even Kia. Not a premium crossover.

The FX50 can almost run with a Cayenne Turbo, but at a fraction of the price. The V6 model is much better value. But the FX crossovers are very, very strange. If someone falls in love with the quirks fine, but it definitely is an acquired taste.

Like I said, the Q5 is okay. I've never been thrilled with the X3, but I'm willing to give the upcoming X1 the benefit of the doubt. The only downside is that the X1 has been delayed and might not get to the United States before Windows 8 - possibly not until until 2013?

There's a new FWD based Pathfinder on the way - sort of like a stretched Murano but without the goofy styling. Anyway, the current model feels prehistoric. It's a dinosaur.

The Xterra is really crude and has rotten fuel economy. Not premium.

10. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Not likely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.