Comodo Firewall Pro Vs. Online Armor Vs. ZoneAlarm Free

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by scooberdoober, Mar 10, 2008.

?

In your experience with two or more of these, which is best?

1. Comodo Firewall Pro

61.1%
  2. Online Armor

22.2%
  3. ZoneAlarm Free

16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    CFP installs pre-configured to operate your system stealth, OA does not. CFP is the more polished product, and much more user friendly IMO.

2. jin07

jin07 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Those were default firewall settings that I tested with except for the things I mentioned which are cosmetic. I don't consider hiding the boot splash window, not having it notify me when programs are auto-trusted, or not sending info to OA about the programs I use as a substantive change to the firewalls settings. It seems we had drastically different experiences for some reason, despite using OA's default settings. Perhaps its a program you have? I don't know. However, we both have firewalls that work for us, so it's all good.

I say test both, that's what I did. Neither is tough to uninstall if you don't like it. Both were highly rated by Matousec. Comodo got an excellent and OA got an excellent 100%, I believe they test with default settings. Site was laggy so I couldn't check. OA is only for XP. I say OA for XP and Comodo for Vista.

3. jimmy-floyd

jimmy-floyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    seems Comodo is more suitable for me. So should i remove ThreatFire if i'm going to use Comodo with def.+ Off ? Calvin said that Comodo+ThreatFire is overkill, but earlier Calvin also said that combo of ThreatFire+ Comodo with def.+ Off is ok, and is the good one.

4. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Either way is fine, some people like TF more than D+ but they're basically the same thing so it doesn't matter either way. I used to say that when D+ was acting up but now D+ is very refined.

5. scooberdoober

Reputations:
    My testing was done on a clean install of XP with no other third party applications involved. Comodo produces the better overall product IMO.

6. scooberdoober

Reputations:
    I suggest just using CFP with Defence+. It's an alll in one solution that works great and doesn't require you to use and manage an additional third party program. Just be patient and make the right choices while it's learning. You'll have to let it know about new trusted programs, which ones are installer/updaters, and other permissions, but it's no big deal, and it's really easy to do. If it catches an installation taking place, it will ask you if you want to switch to installer mode, which you should. After about 5 minutes it will pop up and ask you if you want to switch back to the previous (normal) mode. If you want to you can open the program interface, and in the bottom right hand corner of the "Summary" screen you can switch back to the previous mode without waiting for the pop up to give you the option to switch back. You can also manually switch to Installation/Updater mode there before doing an install.

7. jimmy-floyd

jimmy-floyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Calvin, scooberdoober, thanks for your comments, I didn't know that Def.+ has improved, this is great news.

8. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, it's gotten a lot better than since i started testing it out.

9. PDSF

PDSF Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Worth uninstalling OA and going back? I couldn't stand D+, but that wasn't the only problem I was having. I was most frustrated with Comodo not recognizing or remembering trusted programs. This was about four to six months ago. OA, on the other hand, tosses me popups exactly when I expect them, which tells me it's working correctly.

10. scooberdoober

Reputations:
    I have not experienced any problems at all with CFP. You just need to make the right choice per event, it's not hard or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.