Comodo Firewall-now available for Vista

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by blackmamba, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evolution

Evolution Vox Sola

Reputations:
    I will not be using the current version of comodo firewall anymore until they fix some of the bugs in it. Yesterday I decided to try comodo again after suffering a drive-by download of a trojan :eek: don't know where it came from as I am usually very careful while I am online.

Anyway long story short comodo locked down my notebook to the point that I couldn't even get onto my wireless, it also caused windows to freeze for several minutes at a time; it also asked me to allow task manager I don't know how many times (each time I told it to remember the settings and it didn't). Eventually it got so bad that I had to do a hard shut down and uninstall it in safe mode. Then I had the problems that others had before with security center still seeing the firewall even though it was uninstalled. Well I followed one of johndoe's posts and I finally got comodo removed from the notebook. This entire experience was very unpleasant so I won't be using comodo until a new version comes out.

2. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    I won't use it until they leave my file permissions alone ;)

3. tebore

tebore Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well In theory not using D+ should avoid the permissions problem.

4. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They just posted a private invite for V3 problem users to try again with an upgrade. It supposed to be available tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v...e_will_send_you_the_new_version-t16546.0.html

5. ogun

ogun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well after a week, it's gone!
    I got locked out of Control Panel/Security, was not allowed to run msconfig, and then some...
    The intent is great but the execution is poor. I know that people will blame MSFT, but developers have had over 2 years to come up with decent stuff...Back to Vista Firewall!

6. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that. I'm wondering what changes they plan on making in the new release. You could help by reporting your experiences here...

http://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports-b106.0/

7. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So... is there anyone here still using CFP? If so, what are your thoughts.

Apparently there are many satisfied users. I guess it's not much different than the problems found here with computers in general.

8. jin07

jin07 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Ogen: Have you tried any other firewalls? When I said you should try a good firewall, I wasn't really talking about the new Comodo.

After V3 and finding Online Armor, I don't think I'll go back to Comodo. Even if they fix the problems, I still like OA more.

9. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why would that be? If the updated CFP doesn't pay nice with my system, I'll most likely try OA. Have you found any bugs in OA?

10. jin07

jin07 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    There's only one bug right now and according to OA's forums, the company knows about it and is trying to fix it. The problem occurs when running a browser and bit-torrent at the same time. What happens is that both lose internet speed and load/download much slower. However, a work around which I think I've found fixes it. It's not a technical one or anything special. What I do is: start a torrent, then I open my web browser. If it loads the home page normally, it's fine and will work at regular speed. If it doesn't load it fast, then I close and re-open the browser until it does. After a few times it usually regains its top speed. It's a slight hassle, but I don't download that much anyway.

Right now I don't see any reason at all to switch back to Comodo. I like the menus more, less resources (though Comodo isn't that bad usually), less pop-ups, better firewall rating, set-up was a breeze, pretty much everything about it seems better (though in some areas only slightly better). It's a firewall that I can install and, for the most part, forget about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.