Command and Conquer: Generals 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by BX_TECH_GOD, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BX_TECH_GOD

BX_TECH_GOD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since I'm a fan of the C&C series I felt that this game in particular deserves its own thread. I'm going to personally upgrade my PC again later this year to play it on Very High settings. I'm hoping I can give it a swing on my new laptop as well on medium settings at a lower rez. I've been waiting for this game ever since I finished the first one almost a decade ago.

Check out the official page with the trailer from EA: Command & Conquer : Games : C&C Generals 2

This game looks awesome. So guys what's your take?

2. brncao

brncao Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's too early to tell. It could very well be a Generals game with just updated graphics and different models; little changes to gameplay.

This is what worries me the most [from the official website]
    Will they sell an incomplete game for $60 and make us pay additional money for these DLC in order to play it fully?

Bear in mind there will be no mods and map making tools so you pretty much have a few maps to play with + DLC $maps$. I'm pretty certain there won't be any of these because if they do release it, it would defeat the purpose of selling maps, units, factions, etc.

I have Generals Zero Hour with Shockwave mod, and I honestly can't see how this is going to top it. If you have ZH, I highly recommend Shockwave mod.

3. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    Big C&C fan here.

I've played every single one, beat them and played high-end competitive PvP (was on the top 50 leader board). I can't wait for Generals 2 to release.

Generals/ZH and C&C3/KW are definitely one of the greatest RTS games of all time in my opinion. Infinite replay value. Never was a fan of RA3, though.

I assume they're going to keep the same factions. I just hope that they'll include sub-factions in the main release. I hate waiting up to a year for expansion packs just to play sub-factions - it brings more variety to the game.

@brncao
    Sadly, I couldn't get Shockwave to work via Direct Connect. I always get a mismatch within the first 2 minutes even though both players have the exact same folder contents. Without it, LAN/Direct Connect works flawlessly. Are you aware of any fixes? I tried everything I could find.

---

So assuming all factions/sub-factions are identical, who are you guys going to be? I'm best at China Infantry (1vs1/2v2) and USA Superweapon (3v3).

4. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    Big C&C fan. In game footage looks great. Seeing how this will definitely be a PC exclusive i can expect graphics to be spectacular. Frostbite 2.0 in RTS = WIN. Lets hope they dont try to mess too much with the gameplay like they did in C&C4 and i think EA is gonna have a winner on their hands. Now that is what I am concerned about, EA. Probably the worst gaming company. Ruined the Battlefield series(Dont get me wrong BF3 is great but the only problems i have with the game are there cause the game was rushed to release), the Crysis series, NFS series, Mass Effect series, honestly i could go on and on. So I am not keeping my hopes high for this one.

5. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    when C&C:G2 comes, I am taking a leave of absence from work :D

buddy, this is the video we saw on spike video game awards some 5 months ago :( I was hoping there was a trailer..

6. brncao

Reputations:
    Knowing this is EA, anything goes. Due to time constraints, I think it'll be easier for them to do just USA//Europe/U.N. (Allied-esque) vs GLA. Introducing a third faction and then having to balance across all 3 would be tedious and time consuming. Again this is EA we're talking about when time is money. Additional factions/subfactions will most likely be DLC, but no promises; adding them is a lot more time consuming because of the balancing issues.

I honestly don't know what the cause is. It could be that your game's data is recorded into some file differently that might cause it to mismatch.

7. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Generals was oddly fun. A huge distortion of the original CnC's from Westwood, but EA somehow managed to maintain interest in the game. Ridiculously buggy and unbalanced though.

Looking forward to gen 2, nice to see what frostbite 2 is like in an RTS, hopefully it doesn't need too high specs :D

It just seems odd, that there are HARDLY any modern-day setting RTS's around. World in Conflict, Wargame european escalation, generals, act of war... and thats about it (disregarding mods).

8. jotacekm

jotacekm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is there a release date for it?

I played C&C since the first ones, had lots of fun with them.
    I ordered C&C3 when it released and i played the full campaign, but my PC sucked at that time hehehe (Pentium IV with a nvidia 6800). So i got the kane´s wrath expansion these days and im playing the campaign now, and the graphics maxed are not outdated at all. I like it better than SC2 to be honest.

9. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    Sometime next year. We still got a long way to go :p

Love C&C3! (especially with the KW expansion).

If you play one match in low settings and the second match at high settings, the graphics/look changes so much. I've never seen such a big change in any other game from going low to high. I also like it better than SC2.

Did a 3 (me+2 brutal AI) vs 5 (5 brutal AI) as Marked of Kane ...what an insanely difficult match. I barely made it. This is the type of difficulty I like :D I don't think I could of done it on any other faction/sub-faction to be honest. What's your favourite team pick?

I absolutely love the dark atmosphere, the graphics, the music, the SFX, the units - the game is seriously an RTS masterpiece.

10. brncao

Reputations:
    Off-topic: a RTS and FPS hybrid would be interesting (though not in the CnC series). You got real players, and AI units controlled by the commander. The AIs would be smart enough to duck or get behind cover, running cover to cover.

You don't have to rely on incompetent players; just ask the commander for support and the AIs will take care of it whether it be an infantry assault, armored assault, artillery strike, or airstrike, etc. It won't be an empty-feeling battlefield. Talk about the adrenaline rush and better teamwork! But alas, it doesnt exist (there's a few FPS/RTS hybrids, but many of them aren't that great). I can dream right?:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.