Coming soon - Y470P!

Discussion in 'Yoga, IdeaPad & Essential' started by Ellatan, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anycolour

anycolour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thought optimus was for Nvidia only. The only switch on the front right side of this computer is the "integrated wireless device switch."

2. Ellatan

Ellatan Old Timer

Reputations:
    Then you could look into bios settings is there isn't a similar switch.

3. anycolour

anycolour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bios settings does not show any GPU.

**Called Lenovo to request a replacement. Same laptop, same model.
    Decided against an RMA, hopefully this wasn't foolish.

4. navis24

navis24 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, so I just placed an order for this yesterday (I'm in canada) and considering this will be my first lenovo laptop I had a few questions.
    1. Is there a significant build quality difference between the thinkpads and the ideapads. One of my friends has had a thinkpad for over 4 years and he's always telling me that it's very sturdy and durable.

2. Is the second generation i7 processor on this undervoltable? I've been undervolting my current laptop for the past four years (both in Windows and Linux) and have noticed a remarkable difference in the temperature (a 20 degree celcius drop under full load!).

3. How good are lenovo's shipping estimates? My estimated ship date is on march the 6th but I've heard that lenovo is very conservative on their dates and you can usually expect it to be shipped a week or two before.

5. AboutThreeFitty

AboutThreeFitty ~350

Reputations:
    1. I went from a Thinkpad to Ideapad and I don't really have any issues with the Ideapad as far as build quality. Thinkpads are great for taking abuse. (Rollcage, spill proof keyboard, etc.) As long as you treat the laptop well, it should hold up just fine.

2. No clue... :p

3. I would agree that Lenovo tends to give themselves a little wiggle room. Nothing like promising a ship date then turning around and saying it'll be 2 more weeks. ;) I would look at the ship date as a worst case scenario. If it ships before that date, all more the reason to be happy.

6. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    2. No undervolt.

7. navis24

navis24 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmm.. well I'm going to the miss the fun of undervolting :( but I suppose if the cpu already runs cool and the battery life is good it won't be essential. Thanks for the replies!

8. GregPf

GregPf Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    One data point: When I ordered mine, it said a ship date of 3/12. It actually shipped on 2/7. That's over a month!

YMMV, of course.

A friend of mine who tracks Intel for a living is guessing that they're trying to ship fast so they can get the money before they have to put on more discounts due to Ivy Bridge products coming out.

(UPS tracking says it went from Greensboro, SC, to Nashville, TN, to Kansas City, KS, where it is right now. Lots of hops to get to CO.)

9. redrazor11

redrazor11 Formerly waterwizard11

Reputations:
    Looking to possibly replace my m11x r1 with one of these...how long does their Lenovo weekly sale usually last? Friday or Saturday? I want to get it while the coupon for 750 is still active if I do.

10. AboutThreeFitty

AboutThreeFitty ~350

Reputations:
    WEEKLYDEAL0209 for the y470p ends February 15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.