Coming soon - Y470P!

Discussion in 'Yoga, IdeaPad & Essential' started by Ellatan, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellatan

Ellatan Old Timer

Reputations:
    Looks great again, assuming that is stock performance, it's almost 17% improvement over GT 550M.

Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor,Hewlett-Packard 1688 score: P6152 3DMarks That's HP Envy 15 score, so we can probably confirm that Y470P has very similar performance.

So one thing we can say for sure, it's that Y470P offers 15-20% improvement on stock clocks over Y470. Now it would be nice to find out 3dMark06, temperatures and overclock limits, if you don't mind doing all of that work for the community Bomino. You've already done us all a great service, so if you'd just like to enjoy your new toy instead of running a bunch of tests, then no problem :)

2. kumquatism

kumquatism Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow, that external graphics looks very interesting. It won't work for me though, as I carry my laptop around campus for school and work. I really wanted the Lenovo T420, but I couldn't justify the higher price for lower spec'd system (and no dedicated graphics). I'll just have to live with the Y470p; it sounds like a great system in all other aspects. 5 hours of battery life would be perfect for me, but I can live with ~4 hours. Laptop should be arriving very soon; I am pretty excited. I haven't owned a laptop (well, I have a netbook, but it sees limited use) in at least 8 years.

3. Bomino

Bomino Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    3Dmark06 results This score doesnt seem like much to boast about.

I also re-ran 3Dmark11 to see how the temps were. according to GPU-z logs, the gpu never went above 50*C! most of the time stayed around 48. (note, I always have my laptop on a hard, flat surface). really good temps if the software is accurate. when performing normal [non-intensive] tasks, GPU hangs around at 35*C

4. Bomino

Reputations:
    another update:

the 7690m in the y470p may not be overclockable?
    [​IMG]

both core clock and memory clock are at max, even though they are at factory settings. Is this me or the laptop? i have never overclocked a notebook before. :confused:

5. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
  6. Bomino

Reputations:
    bingo. doing this solved the problem

alright, I overclocked, just to mess around a little, to 825/1000 and noticed an instant 5 fps gain in skyrim. awesome. tomorrow i'll do some benches, but do you guys think i should keep it there or bump the clocks a bit? i was only on skyrim for 5 minutes, but temps didnt go above 55.

7. Ellatan

Ellatan Old Timer

Reputations:
    You can bench until you get artifacts, then downclock a bit for stability. For example, on Y470 I can only overclock at 900/1000 with stable performance in games, but I can bench further than that. Is your max 800/1000 in Afterburner for core/memory? 55C sounds extremely good. While overlocking my GPU temps go up to 72C and CPU to 80C without notebook cooler, which is also not shabby.

8. wildcard36qs

wildcard36qs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can do both stock and overclocked. I would just do 3dmark06, Vantage and 11, since we all can compare to that.

9. Bomino

Reputations:
    alright fellas, here's a roundup of all the benchmarks i have done so far.

Stock scores are when GPU clocks are at:
    725mhz core clock
    900mhz memory clock

O/C scores are when GPU clocks are at:
    800mhz core clock
    1000mhz memory clock
    (I found these clocks to be the most stable.)

Stock 3dmark11 - 1360
    O/C 3dmark11 - 1484

Stock 3dmark Vantage - 5707
    O/C 3dmark Vantage - 6343

Stock 3dmark06 - 9493
    O/C 3dmark06 - 10334

And here is a pic of the temps while running all 3 O/C benchmarks according to HWmoniter
    [​IMG]

10. GregPf

GregPf Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I got notice a few minutes ago from Lenovo that part or all of my order had shipped, and I should check status page to see what's up. That I did, and found that the status page shows no change: ship date of 3/12 for everything.

So who knows, maybe something shipped. They seem intent on making me guess. :-(

I'm really glad to hear that some folks here have gotten theirs; it reassures me that it's not all a fantasy.

BTW, and speaking of fantasy: Benchmarks are great and all, but has anybody played Skyrim on it yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.