Coming soon - Y470P!

Discussion in 'Yoga, IdeaPad & Essential' started by Ellatan, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nithin1992

nithin1992 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update!! Had to do a restart and then tried BF3. No crashes at all. Played for over 2 hours. Getting fps of 45-35 on all high and 30-15 on ultra. On high its very much playable. Ultra smooth, everything seems great now. Hats off Lenovo!!
    Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

2. Imppy

Imppy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Official

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

3. LagunaCId

LagunaCId Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Drivers and software - IdeaPad Y470p Notebook

4. GamerzCreed

GamerzCreed Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is this thread still alive ?

Well I got a problem with installing the vga drivers. I actually wanted to update the catalyst drivers and thought I should do clean out the old drivers and start fresh. Unfortunately after installing the vga drivers from lenovo, a problem occured saying "installation complete(warnings occured during installation). When I right click on desktop i see no catalyst control center option. From then on, I could never have access to my GPU. I tried repeating the procedure to install the drivers but with no results. Man I'm beginning to loose my faith in ATi, why are their drivers so crappy >:^(

Edit: Finally managed to solve it

5. megaprawn

megaprawn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Alright friends! Lenovo does have new stable drivers for the Y470p GPU. It's equivalent to the 12.7 leshcat. The original driver had a file name of 96vp04ww.exe and the new drivers are 96vp05ww.exe. I'm currently in the middle of testing it out for BF3. Two matches at around 7 minutes each and no crash yet. I get MUCH MUCH better FPS on BF3 and Skyrim too over the leshcat 12.8.

I uninstalled ALL items related to ATI/AMD in safe mode. Did a Cclean and reg clean/ Then installed it and things are working great so far.

UPDATE: Everything is working perfectly! No crashes in any game from the video drivers failing. I did lose the ability to overclock though, much like the original stock drivers. Does anyone have any guides on how to OC the GPU? Sapphire TriXX and MSI Afterburner can't go higher than stock values at the moment, and I don't remember how I got AMD Overdrive enabled inside Catalyst Control Center last time.
    something to do with -xcl

6. Biker

Biker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey all. I've got a Y470p with i7, and a major graphics (I think) problem. NOT the same as any other graphics issues I've seen on here - yes I searched. But maybe part of the same Y470p graphics mediocrity.

Long story short, one day I shut my screen to carry the laptop into the other room, smelled a mild burning smell, opened the screen, and found a BSOD mentioning the display driver not recovering, atikmpag.sys, and other stuff. After that I could not boot windows except in safe mode, otherwise I would get an infinite loop of the same BSOD every time windows tried to boot. After a bunch of BS on the phone, I sent the computer to Lenovo where they confirmed my hunch of a burned up GPU. They replaced the mainboard and send it back to me with the HDD wiped and restored to factory default - basically like pulling a new computer out of the box.

I STILL have BSOD issues that seem to be related to when I close the screen or when I suspend the computer. I've seen a couple different BSOD messages as well, such as Bad Pool Caller. But it appears the "atikmpag.sys" BSOD is back for good, and I'm waiting for it to fry my GPU again. I have upgraded to the latest graphics drivers on Lenovo's site, 96vp05ww.exe...no difference.

Has anyone heard of this exact issue? If not, I'm inclined to take advantage of my warranty and ask for a completely new computer - a different model, not a Y470p. I figure if a new mainboard (which basically IS the whole computer, right?) and completely restored windows installation (plus messing with drivers) didn't fix my issue, then this is a design flaw or some kind of crazy fluke with my particular computer. My head hurts thinking about how my computer could be this unstable, fresh out of the box, twice in a row...with a seemingly unknown issue. Other cruddy things like randomly-breaking display hinges, a speaker that occasionally cuts out, and a crackly headphone jack make me more likely to ditch this whole machine. Now accepting friendly advice, thanks! :)

7. megaprawn

megaprawn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's been a year since these have come out. Any news, peeps? Have we been sitting quietly in content silence with the drivers Lenovo supplied for us; Trading speed for stability.

8. Biker

Biker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well mine has been an unequivocal piece of junk. :) A little graphics stability would be a welcome change (see above).

9. Glock24

Glock24 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've been happy with my y470p. I've never had any problems with stability, I mainly use ArchLinux for work and Win7 for gaming. The stock drivers were ok, but dated, so I've been using leshcat's drivers. Right now I'm using leshcat's 13.4 drivers. I've also overclocked the GPU, the max frequencies I've achieved without crashing are 800MHz/1100MHz for core/mem.

What I don't like about this computer is the screen (low res and glossy!), but it cannot be changed. Also the wireless card is crap, and also cannot be changed because of Lenovo's dumb whitelist policy.

I've been thinking of replacing it with a newer model, but the y480 offered nothing interesting, and I would lose a USB port and eSATA. The y400 also offered nothing except for faster GPU. Now the y410p is attractive because of the 1600x900 screen and backlit KB, but also no eSATA and one less USB port....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.