Comet Lake S - where's the 10/10 cores/threads gaming CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by BrightSmith, Jan 25, 2020.

1. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably this has been discussed before. According to the leaked slides of the Comet Lake S setup, there will only be chips with hyperthreading enabled:

[​IMG]

A 10 core / 10 thread cpu would be great for gaming, probably beating the 8/16 9900K (seeing how close the 9700K already is) in gaming while running a lot cooler than the 10/20 and perhaps even the 9900K.

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I see this as a good thing. Intel deliberately disabling Hyper-Threading just so they could sell that feature at a premium was extremely anti-consumer. I am happy that they are finally going the AMD route. Competition is good. :)

Starlight5 and joluke like this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    I believe Hyper-Threading should be available on any Intel CPU, however it also should have an option to disable in BIOS, at least on business-class machines - it is a security liability, after all.

4. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    I understand the logic, but for gaming fast cores are more important than hyperthreading. Especially for gaming on a laptop, 10 fast cores without hyperthreading might be the perfect trade-off between heat and performance.

hmscott likes this.
  5. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Then turn off HT in the BIOS if you want lower temps. HT should be a standard feature on every CPU and the consumer’s choice whether he/she wants to use it, not something disabled by the company to fleece consumers.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  6. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    I agree on principle, but, from a different angle: why should I pay for a feature I don't need/want (like iGPU)? For me the problem with the 9700K was not its lack of HT, but its price point. Furthermore, I recall that disabling HT in the Bios resulted in less efficient performance or sometimes even weird performance issues compared to hardware-disabled HT - but I have to find that article from two years ago (8700k vs 8600k) to back up this claim.

7. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Then buy the 8C/16T chip and get better multi-threaded performance than 10C/10T. ;)

Papusan and joluke like this.