Colts Parting Ways with Peyton Manning =(

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by houstoned, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    such a sad, sad day for football, and sports in general. i don't think i'll even be able to watch the Colts anymore. Peyton has been my favorite QB for over 10 years now, and it's just shameful how Jim Irsay is handling the whole situation. Peyton put indy on the map. he built the stadium and did so much for that community. to even think about treating a guy like Peyton Manning this way is just so disrespectful. Jim Irsay can goto hell!

initial news conference will be held at 12 ET today, and there's supposed to be something official around 4pm-5pm.

:( :( :(

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Colts had hit their prime a few years ago...sometimes you have to start fresh. Same can be said with the Steelers..

3. houstoned

Reputations:
    Colt's prime was when Tony Dungy was the coach. he came in and actually gave them a defensive identity to match what #18 did on the offensive side of the ball. Peyton never hit his decline. he's never even been hurt til this injury, and still, it wasn't even a physical/structural injury that kept him out of the game.

oh well...i look forward to seeing #18 play next season. Jim Irsay is lucky that Peyton is a class act. just imagine another Brett Favre incident...

4. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Colts had a number of players that actually played this season that want to leave the team -- Colts need that $28M to try and keep the talent. Manning has had multiple surgeries, probably needs more, and again didn't throw a single ball on the field last season. In the end they won two games to become the worst team of the year?

Colts don't want to risk keeping Manning, loosing a bunch of talent, and then find out later that Manning either can't play still or can't play like he used to. Last I checked he might still need a surgery or two more.

They made the right choice. They're in a position where they've got nothing to lose. A new quarterback plus some older surrounding talent can't be worse than 2-14, and it sets them up for a long term Luck-era (assuming they go that route) which could pay huge dividends in the next 5-10 years.

5. houstoned

Reputations:
    Peyton Manning and Jim Irsay joint conference in 3 mins on ESPN2.

sad news conference :( :( :(

what was the ONLY difference between the 2009 Colts and the 2010-11 Colts? Peyton Manning. the Colt's 2-14 record and all of those players suddenly willing to leave should be 2 indications of how Peyton Manning made the Colts. he didn't just turn the Colt's into a winning team, but he changed Indiana into a football town. he's done alot of stuff for that town and even has a children's hospital named after him. he was willing to rework his contract, but Jim Irsay is lookin to rebuild; top to bottom.

yes he had multiple surgeries, but only 1 of them were to actually fix something. that was the first one to fix the bulging disk. the later ones were just to help speed up the nerve regeneration process. he's fine structurally. some even say he's better than he ever was because of the year off and the aggressive rehab. he really didn't throw the ball last season because they shut him down after the organization assessed that he wasn't ready enough. if it were up to him he would've thrown for at least the last 2-3 games of the season after he got that medical clear. alot of that talent is there because they came there to play with Peyton Manning. he covered up so many of their holes, for so long, they were able to piece 1 or 2 guys here and there to help Peyton out.

we know they're drafting Andrew Luck in a few months, so let's not talk about the offensive side. let's just think about how much work they need on the defensive side now that they have to rebuild with a rookie QB. don't forget that Peyton ran the offense, so they saved a boat load of money on running backs and full backs before.

6. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    It's a shame. I wouldn't call myself a Colts fan by any stretch of the imagination, but even I know Manning was keeping that team together. As a Browns fan, I am more than familiar with the disappointment and heartbreak that an NFL team is capable of bringing to its fans.

7. jooooeee

jooooeee Stealth in disguise

Reputations:
    I think the situation was handled well it is obvious that Peyton has been informed on the situation since day 1. It was the right decision for the Colts they are trying to rebuild their team and while it might be less painful in the short run to keep Manning, in the long run it would be a huge hit when he retires. Now they can draft Luck and start new (however I think Luck would have gained immensely from sitting behind Peyton for a year or two). Hopefully the Colts don't fall into the same pattern they've been in, just letting the qb do everything. Imagine if the Peyton had a star running back to help out, that offense would have been damn scary. As for Indianapolis it's sad to see him leave because he really did build the program, but it had to happen eventually.

But more importantly my Cardinals can get the one of best qb's in the league now! At least I hope, since it has since it has seemed that they have no interest in having a qb since Warner retired.

8. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Sad yes. But if the Jets pick him up, then wow. They might actually make it to a Superbowl after how many decades? Before I was born. I know that.

9. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    Quoted for truth man. Let's hope Andrew Luck is going to be as good as they say he is.

And thus starts the next chapter in the Colts franchise....

10. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Sorry brother but Dolphins owner Stephen Ross a native NYer is enamored with Manning. He's been waiting for this day. Plus Manning has a home in S. Florida and has made complimentary remarks about Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman.