College Computer Samsung ativ 9 Apple MBA 13?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by paintballer99, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paintballer99

paintballer99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, im going off to college soon and need a light computer to take along with me. I would like a really nice display and be able to play some basic games like LoL or minecraft. (Im bringing my xbox to play games :) ) Im really looking into the ativ book 9 possibly the ativ book 8 or the 2013 MBA. (Maybe a MBP?) I dont mind 13" screens but ill go up to 15" as well but 17" is getting a little big to be carrying around campus

What is your budget?
    up to 1500

What country will you be buying this in?
    USA

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)
    Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
    Like: Samsung Apple
    Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    No

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Casual Gaming

Where will you be using this laptop?
    Will be used different places

How many hours of battery life do you need?

Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows 8 or Windows 7 or Mac OS

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    High Resolution (1600 x 900)
    Max Resolution (1920 x 1080)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Matte is fine

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    250 GB

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    Yes

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    No

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the Air is a terrific UltraBook and very price competitive compared to what PCs offer. One thing to consider is Apple does not offer accidental coverage on its notebooks, which might be worth considering for a notebook that travels a lot.

The ThinkPad X1 Carbon might be worth a look too. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

3. paintballer99

Reputations:
    Thank you ill defiantly take a look at that. I'm going to go look at the air today. I'm just worried that the 13" screen might be too small but ill have to take a look at it. How's the display on the air ?

4. qweryuiop

qweryuiop Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the MBA will blend into your fellow classmates, the ATIV 9 will stand out quite a bit but with on par performance given that they put most workmanship on the chasis design and other details, limiting the performance components aside

the ATIV book 8 is "just another 15 incher" but weighs fine for your shoulder and performs best out of all, though cannot match up the battery life of the MBA the ATIV book 8 is aimed more towards the gaming spectrum other than basic document handling tasks, thus if you don't get into PC gaming you should probably follow the trend and get the MBA or the ATIV book 9, of like ZaZ said, the carbon X1 is an equally good choice since it offers good warranty coverage including spills and drops during a casual after lecture drink in the pub, I've seen some mac guys done that, and they thought macs are indestructible (since they are not professionals that needs a mac, but just a bunch of acting cool guys going for a mac because its cool), they probably never thought of accidental coverage as well...

that being said if your willing to pay for the warranty the X1 and other business class "ultrabooks" will suit your college drinking life better, and the accidental drops due to over excitement

5. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Macbook Air can play the two games you mentioned, but may not keep 60fps with max settings. The CPU is also a little bit slow. It's quite slim, good looking, and kind of cool (for some people). Get this one if performance is not a big concern.

The ThinkPad X1 Carbon with i7 Duo would be a more balanced machine with higher performance form both CPU and GPU. Playing LOL or Minecraft (with no graphic mods) would be fine.

If you want some safe headroom for more demanding games you may play on the notebook in the future, there is Clevo W740SU with i7 Quad and Iris Pro GT3e. That's about as good as you can get now from a thin and light weight notebook without going over the budget.

ATIV book 8 with i7 Quad and HD 8770M dGPU should offer similar (or slightly better?) performance compared to the W740SU.

6. paintballer99

Reputations:
    Ill have to take into consideration if i want to give up a little more weight to get a more gaming suitable system. The ativ and MBA's 12 hour battery life is very appealing ahaha The ativ book 8 has not come out with a haswell model yet correct?

Also, should I just wait for the ativ book 9 plus to come out ? That will have a better a teen resolution then the MBA

7. FrostByte

FrostByte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can't you get SquareTrade warranty with the MBA?

8. paintballer99

Reputations:
    Wait what about an msi ge60 it looks like im getting more bang for the buck with that and sacrificing 2lbs of weight. Would you guys think this would be a better option?

9. qweryuiop

qweryuiop Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    doesn't fit your battery life requirements, not even close, the W350ST fits the bill, but IMO both is way too powerful for your performance requirement, you require excellent portability and little performance, not OK portability and good performance, I think you've sidetracked yourself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.