Cold air intake = better fuel econ. ???

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by aan310, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    that's totally wrong. u will get better MPG with a less restrictive intake system. will u really notice the gains? not really. it's only about a 10% (more or less dependin on the car and it's mods) mileage increase, per gallon. intake, header(s), and exhaust systems are just simple bolt-on's that replace the factory's very restrictive systems. it isn't like addin a blower or somethin, where u'd have to have a much more aggressive fuel map.

i have changed out the factory intake system in every car i've ever owned. i will probably follow this trend with all of my future cars as well. i've had the most basic set ups like a short ram intake to a more aggressive set up with a velocity stack and custom piping. the benefits from havin an aftermarket intake system really outweighs the bad stuff. the only real negative, to me, is the oh so $exy sounds that a simple intake system can bring out of yur car. it makes me want to floor the damn thing everywhere i go! :D :D :D u will also notice broader low and mid-range power.

2. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I notice the difference on my car only after I had the exhaust modded, with the short-ram intake, removed resonator, and straight through cherry bomb glass-backs, the air flow is much less restrictive, I have gained about 15hp, it is noticeable at high rpm's, the burst of power is a pretty awesome feeling past 4000rpm.

As a result I did lose a minute amount of torque, because the mufflers have less pressure because they are straight through, meaning I idle a little higher in 5th while cruising(1580@60 kph instead of 1500), other than that no complaints.

No noticeable loss in mileage on a tank either, if not better.

3. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    increased heat leads to less efficiency.

4. maozdawgg

maozdawgg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes colder air is denser and has all the benefits associated with it as posted above.

But, has anyone actually scientifically studied just how much colder/denser/better the intake air is compared between a cold air intake and a standard factory intake? And how much that translates into more hp/mpg? My guess is that it is virtually negligible.

My belief is that your right foot and proper motor maintenance will do a million times more for your mpg and hp than any of these cold air intakes.

5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    how is a COLD air intake system increasing heat? read my previous post.

it has been tested to a certain extent. there have been alot of independent tests where they tested a few mods together to see if they really did produce better MPG. if i remember correctly, a proper high flowing/cold air intake system netted a 10% (more or less) milege increase PER GALLON.

6. 07torchgt

07torchgt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    a cold air intake yes but think of this, by the time the air has made the entire trip through intake track and through the intake manifold the inlet air temp is still well above ambient air temps... short ram intakes do almost nothing for intake temps because they use under hood air which is heated by the engine itself...

the biggest advantage of the aftermarket intakes is that they are freer flowing. on MAF vehicles they have a much larger MAF housing and will flow more CFM of air... the engine will breath much easier making slightly more power... yes you will get slightly better mileage but it is so negligable it isn't even worth talking about...

even with this extra cooler air you won't make anymore power unless the ECU can make use of it... even sometimes making it run worse... the ECU needs to know why this extra air is there and what to do with... your extra power will come from the advance in spark timing you can get with the cooler air though... not the cooler air itself... if you have all this extra cooler air and the fuel curve isn't adjusted to work with it you may run leaner than you could want. and a gasoline engine at WOT an AFR of 13.1:1 is ideal... if you go leaner your engine will run hotter negating having the cold air intake in the first place...

7. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    how about you read my previous post? i was merely saying that the cold air kit helps run cooler air into the manifold, thus, you may see a bit more efficiency from there. you told me i was wrong, and i said increased heat leads to less efficiency which the vehicle would only gain minimal amounts of efficiency through a cold air kit because of reducing the amounts of heat and air restriction, though it is minimal.

8. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Putting your foot on a diet will get you the best increase in fuel economy

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    nonsense poopy pants. It will also deprive you of a lot of fun. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.